Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Engine Auxiliary belt and tensioner- urgent. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290509)

CharlieXC Jan 10th, 2019 12:04

Auxiliary belt and tensioner- urgent.

Hi all,

I’m in a bit of a stress...currently driving (or was driving, now stationary) in France.

The auxiliary belt broke last night, thankfully just as I was starting to drive, so no high revs and the belt stayed away from the timing gear!

Managed to limp home with no power steering or alternator...

The XC70 is a early 08 model (57 reg) D5. Engine number is 547817. Which belt and tensioner do I need to order (anyone have Volvo part numbers?). I don’t want to buy the wrong parts...I have a mobile mechanic who’ll fit things. I don’t have the tools and access looks to be a right b’stard! I have the right front wheel off and inner arch off already (it’s on an axle stand).

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

kdst5 Jan 10th, 2019 13:13

Be careful with this as I believe from reading various threads on this subject that originally there was a hydraulic tensioner fitted. This was then replaced under a recall to a mechanical one, however I believe the fitting is different and the block had to be drilled and tapped to take it. Also with the latest tensioner the belt must be changed at the 54,000 service and again at 108,000 service.

I am writing this from memory so do check other threads on this, suggest you read as many as possible to get the full picture. Pay particle attention to anything which Clan says as that should be the official Volvo line.

CharlieXC Jan 10th, 2019 13:39

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your reply. The X. currently has a tensioner like this -

kdst5 Jan 11th, 2019 13:10

Personally I would give a Volvo dealer a call and see what they say. If your French is not up to calling a Volvo dealer in France then try a UK one such as FRF motors (listed in the traders section), I am sure they would ship to France.

Just back to the belt snapping I believe Clan said it almost always happens at start-up, so you were very lucky not to take out the cam belt.

Peter86 Jan 11th, 2019 13:25

At 10 years isn't the cam belt due as well?

green van man Jan 11th, 2019 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter86 (Post 2483877)
At 10 years isn't the cam belt due as well?

Yep. 10 years or 108,000 miles.

Paul.

Model flyer Jan 12th, 2019 19:42

Check your old belt and see what the general condition was like . It might just be that its perished they do take a hammering being bent back and forth around pulleys .That tensioner is the later spring type if the bearing and the wheel are OK and the tensioner arm is OK then a new belt should get you home. Simple to fit if you have a appropriate torx key. D5 will last for years unless you ignore the changing of belts and basic maintenance . As already said 52 k for the Aux Belt and 108 K or ten years for the timing belts and tensioner . Good luck or Bonne chance