Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Diesel Particulate Filter DPF (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=81774)

br1anuk Oct 6th, 2009 19:07

Diesel Particulate Filter DPF

I was talking to a Volkswagen salesman today about replacing our V70.

I was giving him the old "it will only do 25mpg around town" and the DPF warning lights coming on every 2 weeks bit when he told me that his new boss in the sales department used to work for Volvo......

Allegedly according to him, their sales people are to under no circumstances discuss the DPF with any prospective customers unless prompted as it is well known that the cars fitted with this device are not suitable for frequent short journeys.

He then whipped round and pulled a Volkswagen leaflet off the display telling people all about how the DPF works so that if they buy a VW with it fitted they can't moan about all the hassle it causes afterwards.

Something to think about if your about to order any new car with a DPF fitted.

Brian.

mrtrout Oct 6th, 2009 21:27

Mmmm, very interesting Brian.

Rascal Oct 7th, 2009 14:12

DPF problems - How many short journey's

Quote:

Originally Posted by br1anuk (Post 569952)
I was talking to a Volkswagen salesman today about replacing our V70.

I was giving him the old "it will only do 25mpg around town" and the DPF warning lights coming on every 2 weeks bit when he told me that his new boss in the sales department used to work for Volvo......

Allegedly according to him, their sales people are to under no circumstances discuss the DPF with any prospective customers unless prompted as it is well known that the cars fitted with this device are not suitable for frequent short journeys.

He then whipped round and pulled a Volkswagen leaflet off the display telling people all about how the DPF works so that if they buy a VW with it fitted they can't moan about all the hassle it causes afterwards.

Something to think about if your about to order any new car with a DPF fitted.

Brian.

If your DPF warning light was coming on every 2 weeks, may I ask how many short journey's you were making each day or week.

I have owned my V70 2.4D MY2008 for about 1,500 miles with mixed driving and as yet, have not even been aware of the DPF regenerating (even though it must have done by now).
With winter descending on us, I am concerned that I will not be making as many of the longer journey's as usual and I was wondering how soon the dreaded DPF Full message might appear, relative to the number of short runs.

Interestingly, I note on the Volvo website, there is now an obscure section labelled 'Diesel Technology' which points out the pitfalls of the DPF.

Is it possible to claim a refund on the grounds of 'not fit for purpose' if a sales person sells you a car with a DPF, when you have told them that you want it to nip down to the shops frequently?
It looks as if Volkswagen think you might have a case - hence the caution!

Incidentally - Are you getting another diesel with DPF?

gibboxxx Oct 7th, 2009 15:32

Oh dear, this has me worried. Have just taken delivery of a 2.0D SE under motability. The car is mainly used for a short run (3 miles) to the train station and back weekdays amongst other local shortish jouneys. We do generally have a motorway journey at the weekend (30 miles). Does this driving profile mean we will have constant problems with the DPF? Last thing we need is to make constant trips to the dealer.....

John_C Oct 7th, 2009 15:48

The weekend motorway trip should allow the DPF to regenerate, so fingers crossed you won't have an issue.

T5R+ Oct 7th, 2009 17:41

May I ask why people who only undertake short jorneys - let us say upto 8miles, buy diesels?

PS my commute is 28miles thus have diesels.

Clan Oct 7th, 2009 19:12

Has it got a particle filter? Unlikely as this option seems to be taken less and less now .

gibboxxx Oct 7th, 2009 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5R+ (Post 570318)
May I ask why people who only undertake short jorneys - let us say upto 8miles, buy diesels?

PS my commute is 28miles thus have diesels.

Yep - you may. The motability scheme is offering the V70 (2.0D SE only) at a considerable discount compared to other V70 petrol/diesel variants or any other manufacturer for the size of car

Dazzlev70r Oct 7th, 2009 23:39

I had my car off motability and gladly been returned

Now I accept diesels are bought maily for long journeys but cant see anywhere on any tin that they should be bought for this reason
In fact I would argue that a diesel engine is better on short journeys than a petrol one from a mechanical point of view not a financial one obviously

Diesels have much better torque for a start and may i point out that London taxi cabs are all diesel and normaly only do short trips

All cars petrol or otherwise benefit from a blast up the motorways but they should all still behave in town
Were not on about ferraris here but family saloons lol

But dont worry too much honestly my car lasted for 3 months doing a mile a day in morning and again in afternoon and this problem didnt show itself
It can if you read the forum also be turned off

T5R+ Oct 9th, 2009 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibboxxx (Post 570369)
Yep - you may. The motability scheme is offering the V70 (2.0D SE only) at a considerable discount compared to other V70 petrol/diesel variants or any other manufacturer for the size of car

This makes sense - never thought of this. :lightbulb: