Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C70 Passenger Side Electrics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302832)

andyf117 Jan 25th, 2020 12:34

C70 Passenger Side Electrics

I've just checked and can't see a specific C70-related thread on this, but did find a few S40 and V50 ones...
....I've started to have an intermittent problem with the passenger side windows, and also the central locking (and the BLIS) on that side. The problem only comes to light when closing the door - because the window hasn't 'dropped' slightly as it should, it sounds different on closing, alerting me to the issue, as the window (and therefore door) isn't closed properly...
....it's now happened twice - both times at home, fortunately, the first time on getting back, the second when about to go out. After 5-10 minutes of trying the various control switches, turing the car on and off, and (carefully) opening and closing the door, it's suddenly 'cured' itself...
....the S40 and V50 threads describing similar problems make reference to a connector inside the door, and suggest spraying with WD40 - so the main thing I need to know, is how do I find and get to it in my door? Can't find a Haynes for the second-generation C70...

I'm also confused as to why the rear window is also affected, when that's part of the main body, rather than in another door - it has its own separate fuse - or is its wiring routed through the same connector in the door?

TIA

FredGraham Jan 25th, 2020 19:24

Hi Andy
Where all the electrics go into the door from the body, is a plug/socket, partly obscured by the door stop. It's that piece that wants spraying, the issue I have is that the window drops but doesn't go up when the door is closed, unplug it and give it a spray (WD40/Contact Cleaner)working again until it may need another spray. I haven't had to disconnect the battery but it may be an idea. Hope this helps.
Fred :regular_smile:

andyf117 Jan 25th, 2020 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredGraham (Post 2593067)
Hi Andy
Where all the electrics go into the door from the body, is a plug/socket, partly obscured by the door stop. It's that piece that wants spraying, the issue I have is that the window drops but doesn't go up when the door is closed, unplug it and give it a spray (WD40/Contact Cleaner)working again until it may need another spray. I haven't had to disconnect the battery but it may be an idea. Hope this helps.
Fred :regular_smile:

Thanks, Fred
I shall endeavour to locate it tomorrow in daylight (and when it's not raining)...
....I'm relieved that it sounds like I won't need to remove the inner door panel - had to do that once on the S40 to replace a window motor, and never managed to refit it as snugly as it used to be!

pinballdave Jan 25th, 2020 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyf117 (Post 2592929)
I'm also confused as to why the rear window is also affected, when that's part of the main body, rather than in another door - it has its own separate fuse - or is its wiring routed through the same connector in the door?

While the power for the rear window is fed separately to the power for the front windows, the control signals for the rear window are looped through the electronics module on the front window, all using the same connector on the front doors. So poor connections or power issues with the front windows, can result in problems with both front and rear windows.

Technically, the front window motor's electronics module receives the control signals for both front and rear windows on that side from the cars main canbus connection. The front window module then passes the control signals for the rear window via a dedicated linbus connection to the electronics module on the rear window motor.

andyf117 Jan 25th, 2020 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballdave (Post 2593128)
While the power for the rear window is fed separately to the power for the front windows, the control signals for the rear window are looped through the electronics module on the front window, all using the same connector on the front doors. So poor connections or power issues with the front windows, can result in problems with both front and rear windows.

Technically, the front window motor's electronics module receives the control signals for both front and rear windows on that side from the cars main canbus connection. The front window module then passes the control signals for the rear window via a dedicated linbus connection to the electronics module on the rear window motor.

That explains perfectly why it's affected despite having a separate fuse - thanks!

FredGraham Jan 26th, 2020 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyf117 (Post 2593076)
Thanks, Fred
I shall endeavour to locate it tomorrow in daylight (and when it's not raining)...
....I'm relieved that it sounds like I won't need to remove the inner door panel - had to do that once on the S40 to replace a window motor, and never managed to refit it as snugly as it used to be!

Further more FYI, the plug doesn't pull straight out, the top of it needs to be eased up vertically as this is like a locking mechanism keeping the plug in place. Once lifted the plug should pull out revealing the various connections.
Fred:regular_smile:

andyf117 Jan 26th, 2020 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredGraham (Post 2593191)
Further more FYI, the plug doesn't pull straight out, the top of it needs to be eased up vertically as this is like a locking mechanism keeping the plug in place. Once lifted the plug should pull out revealing the various connections.
Fred:regular_smile:

Cheers, Fred - when/if it stops raining, I'll go out and take a look...
....but the above's good to know - I'd have probably been cursing while trying to pull it out straight!

andyf117 Jan 28th, 2020 16:05

So, the good news is I've successfully identified the connector I need to open up - the bad news is, I cannot pull the top locking bit up to get the plug out...

I found this short Youtube clip showing the C30 equivalent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP4x7yqdDYY

However, lifting the locking part isn't as easy as it says - I can pry the visible side up about half-an-inch, but that's it, as I can't get anything into the other side to pull it up...
....further suggestions welcomed!

FredGraham Jan 28th, 2020 20:28

Hi Andy
It is as easy as the video makes it look, the part that slides up s/b one square covering the top of the plug, front & back. It only raises about a half inch but doesn't come off the plug. Once fully raised the plug can be taken out of the door, apologies as I do find it easier to remove than to explain how to remove the plug.
Fred

andyf117 Jan 28th, 2020 22:04

Cheers, Fred

I'll give it another try tomorrow; my problem is that only the side which I can get the screwdriver head into lifts up - the other side which I can't access stays down, leaving that top part sitting at a slight angle...
....think I'll try to find something to 'hook' into the other side...