Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Xc60 polestar mpg (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304089)

Beta Feb 29th, 2020 16:40

Xc60 polestar mpg

Hi
The wife has just purchased a xc60 polestar.
Does anybody know what the best driver settings are for the best mpg if driving 200 miles on a motorway without stoping .
Ideally she would like to have some battery left when she is close to her Destination

Ringthane Mar 1st, 2020 01:19

It would be nice to know what the spec. of the car was, but in general, Polestar optimisation doesn’t affect the MPG.

Beta Mar 1st, 2020 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringthane (Post 2605351)
It would be nice to know what the spec. of the car was, but in general, Polestar optimisation doesn’t affect the MPG.

Her car is xc60 t8 polestar hybrid ,if you put your destination in the sat nav will the car work out which is the most economical way to use both power trains ?

MtillingVolvo Mar 2nd, 2020 16:24

Not as far as I'm aware but, as a general rule, you'll be best off deploying the electrical power when doing "Stop/Start" driving - with this in mind if you put the car into "hold" mode when you're on the motorway then it'll only use the petrol engine and then when you're in a more urban environment uncheck "hold" and then it'll use both electrical and petrol power.

A lot of it'll be trial and error, but you can see on the On call App how much Electric/Fuel has been used and so if you try it a few different ways you'll find the way that works for you.

Hope this helps.

dling Mar 2nd, 2020 20:44

If your ride is longer than 40Km and you use the built in nav, then the car will automatically distribute the energy the most efficient way. In other words use it a lower speeds.
A good trick, when you do a round trip and have no charging point midway is to add the start point as destination and the destination as a waypoint. This way the battery charge will be distributed along the whole trip.

sk546 Mar 3rd, 2020 01:28

As others have said, its all very much a learning experience on how to utilise the hybrid powertrain to its best on a long journey with the T8's.
Setting a sat nav destination does allow the car to utilise the battery power to its optimal during the journey provided you have a recharge point at the destination but I have found using the 'Hold' mode while in Hydrid setting the better option for use on faster dual carriageways and motorways as it holds the battery level at the setting you select but allows the car to utilise any regenerated electricity to allow petrol engine off coasting and some electric use to increase the mpg.
I have found that electric use is best utilised at speeds below 60mph but the electric range drops dramatically when using electric at 70+mph.

xc60T8 Mar 3rd, 2020 08:57

Quote:

provided you have a recharge point at the destination
Someone also suggested setting home as the destination and the actual destination as a stopover point so the car works out the whole trip if there is no charging point where you are going.

Automatic Only Mar 3rd, 2020 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk546 (Post 2606048)
As others have said, its all very much a learning experience on how to utilise the hybrid powertrain to its best on a long journey with the T8's.
Setting a sat nav destination does allow the car to utilise the battery power to its optimal during the journey provided you have a recharge point at the destination but I have found using the 'Hold' mode while in Hydrid setting the better option for use on faster dual carriageways and motorways as it holds the battery level at the setting you select but allows the car to utilise any regenerated electricity to allow petrol engine off coasting and some electric use to increase the mpg.
I have found that electric use is best utilised at speeds below 60mph but the electric range drops dramatically when using electric at 70+mph.

That's interesting - I need to give this a try. Would you put it in Pure mode when going slower or just leave it in Hybrid with 'Hold' off?
Interestingly I did a 27 mile (mostly motorway trip) yesterday with an empty battery and achieved 37 mpg - admittedly a lot of it was on average speed check at 50mph and a bit stop/start but a good chunk was at 80mph. I find this very surprising especially when it seems that most straight petrol Volvo's (T4, T5 etc) seem to struggle to get above mid/upper 20s most of the time.
I think a lot of this may be to do with the fact that if you are going very slow or stopping a bit then even with a flat battery the car is still able to (and does) use the electric motors to do the initial 'getting you moving' which obviously requires most power and when engines are at their most inefficient.

sk546 Mar 3rd, 2020 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automatic Only (Post 2606121)
That's interesting - I need to give this a try. Would you put it in Pure mode when going slower or just leave it in Hybrid with 'Hold' off?

I haven't really tried 'Pure' mode much yet due to the colder weather as I believe 'Pure' restricts the use of the fuel fired heater for cabin conditioning and engine pre-heating to give better economy results (queue someone commenting to confirm or call me stupid), I have only operated in Hybrid with 'Hold' off.
Using this method though, I have recorded some pretty spectacular economy figures on my journeys from home to Norwich and back again (well into triple figure MPG when driving sensibly if VOC is to be believed).
'Polestar Engineered' mode, as you would expect, returns much worse fuel economy figures but blimey, is it quick for a 2.4 ton SUV!!

Clan Mar 3rd, 2020 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk546 (Post 2606048)

If you are doing anything over 60 mph you can say bye bye to any sort of economy . But then you don't spend £70000 on a car with economy at the top of the list of course .