Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   MY16 XC60 D4 SE LUX DRL (day driving lights) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238587)

volvorocks Oct 23rd, 2015 04:05

MY16 XC60 D4 SE LUX DRL (day driving lights)

MY16 XC60 D4 SE LUX DRL (day driving lights)

On MY15 V40 (non R design) you start the car and the DRL come on. When it gets dark (in auto mode) the DRL (day running lights) auto switch off and the headlights come on instead.

However this does not happen with XC60 SE LUX in so far as the DRL remain on with the headlights when it gets dark

First question is WHY?

In urban use I have taken to driving with the headlights OFF and just the DRL on (which allows the rear tail red lights to also be on). This is the parking lights mode. I wish to save the headlight bulbs. No comment on this please as to why, as it is self explanatory - less replacement due to less wear and use. (only done in urban use)

However I notice I have been being flashed by oncoming cars at night when driving with just the DRL lit.

I have taken a look at the DRL at night with the headlights OFF, and 'by George' are they BRIGHT with a capital 'B'..!! They do not look this bright during the day, nor do they look bright when I press the 'lights on' button on the fob at night at home in the drive, nor have I been flashed with BOTH the DRL on AND the headlights at night.

I have looked at the DRL with the headlights ON, and they do not appear any dimmer than when the headlights are off.

Second Question:-

Do the DRL dim when the headlights are on being driven?

If they do this could be why I am flashed when the headlights are NOT on at night.

Thanks in advance folks for your comments and feedback

Many thanks

Regards

Pandamedic Oct 23rd, 2015 09:06

I checked mine when i got my XC60. The DRL are brighter when the headlights are off, and as you say, they are well bright at night, mainly because of the light level.

When the headlights are on, the DRL do dim to a sensible night time level and are not as bright.

This is a new thing on the 15 plate plus models, as this doesn't happen on the one down the road from me that's a 64 plate

GJB Oct 23rd, 2015 09:07

Have you had headlamp alignment checked?

davidjpowell Oct 23rd, 2015 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1998906)

In urban use I have taken to driving with the headlights OFF and just the DRL on (which allows the rear tail red lights to also be on). This is the parking lights mode. I wish to save the headlight bulbs. No comment on this please as to why, as it is self explanatory - less replacement due to less wear and use. (only done in urban use)

However I notice I have been being flashed by oncoming cars at night when driving with just the DRL lit.

Many thanks

Regards

I wonder why? It might be something to do with your headlights not being on. The minuscule saving that you are making will be more than wiped out if you crash either because you have been blinded or have not been seen.

I've read some rubbish on the internet, but deliberately not using your headlights to save 0.000001p really does take the biscuit. Please use them as they are designed!

NigelDay Oct 23rd, 2015 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidjpowell (Post 1998980)
I wonder why? It might be something to do with your headlights not being on. The minuscule saving that you are making will be more than wiped out if you crash either because you have been blinded or have not been seen.

I've read some rubbish on the internet, but deliberately not using your headlights to save 0.000001p really does take the biscuit. Please use them as they are designed!

The Highway Code is clear.
Use sidelights after sunset and before sunrise.
Use headlamps at night (defined as sunset +30 minutes and sunrise -30 minutes).
Anything else puts you at the mercy of the police and your insurance company.

Fursty Ferret Oct 23rd, 2015 11:19

Quote:

I assume that it's because you're driving without your lights on.

Gilesme Oct 23rd, 2015 14:11

If in DRL mode, do the number plate lights come on or not ?

could be a 0.000002p saving if so.

I have flashed a few people driving just on DRLs at night - however in most cases the rear lights do not illuminate.

volvorocks Oct 23rd, 2015 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidjpowell (Post 1998980)

As I said in OP, I don't drive all the time at night with no headlights on and it is not just to save 0.0000001p...lol..!!! It does indeed 'sound' daft to not have headlights on although have you seen how bright the DRL on XC60 are.....!!!! The question was, was not whether I was dim..lol... but are the DRL meant to dim with headlights on, as mine seem not to.

In very well lit urban environments, I find approaching cars adorned with super bright xenon headlights,led DRL's and all other fancy lighting strips a bit unneccessary, overkill, and over the top. Further, cars with auto lights parked on the wrong side of the road with the engine running,waiting for passengers,facing oncoming traffic, blind approaching drivers as one tends to forget to turn them off. There have been many comments on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilesme (Post 1999092)

I have flashed a few people driving just on DRLs at night - however in most cases the rear lights do not illuminate.

The rear red lights are indeed on on XC.

Yep I have mentioned this before about other drivers not having the rear red tail lights illuminated when driving on DRL.

Regards

volvorocks Oct 23rd, 2015 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandamedic (Post 1998962)
When the headlights are on, the DRL do dim to a sensible night time level and are not as bright.

This is a new thing on the 15 plate plus models, as this doesn't happen on the one down the road from me that's a 64 plate

Thanks for that.

So on the circa 64 reg models, the DRL do not dim? They are as bright with the headlights on as when off?

Regards

Kev78 Oct 23rd, 2015 15:17

I think it's a aesthetic thing.

Look how many people drive with fog lamps on.

Many cars have DRL's where fog lamps used to be located.

First company to do it were Porsche I think. I had a 09 Cayman and really liked them on that car.