Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Guides (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=43014)

JSeaman Aug 28th, 2007 08:11

Guides

I don't know if you think this is worth having as a sticky but I will use this as a reference thread for any guides I do. If you have any comments or suggestions for any of the guides then let me know (PM/email or in the thread for the guide).

I'd like to keep this as just an index but if you've got any comments relating to the guides in general then feel free to add it here. Some of them will be very simplistic but will get more complicated if I do any more advanced work on the car.

Thanks to anyone who helps to contribute to these guides by providing me with information/answers to questions and if you want to add a guide to this list then let me know.

All guides are on a 2.0 petrol 1998 S40 but may apply to other models

1. Refreshing the gear linkage bushings (front)
2. Changing your spark plugs
3. Adjusting the throttle cable
4. Changing your oil
5. Fitting a new air filter
6. Alarm troubleshooting

spyda Aug 28th, 2007 12:05

Excellent work - keep it up!

I for one would like to see more of these guides - maybe we can all contribute when carrying out any work on our cars.

Perhaps the mods can make a 'How-To' sub forum where all these guides can reside as a point of reference for all S40 owners?

Now, if only someone would post one for changing the top engine mount ...

Thanks again.

Liberty555 Aug 28th, 2007 12:19

Any chance of a guide for getting rid of the creaking noise when you take off and stop? Sort of a short list of places to check and what lubes work best on the bushings etc.?

Great work though - who needs Haynes!

spyda Aug 28th, 2007 12:22

Liberty - There's a 95 percent chance you need the same guide I am after (mentioned above). ie. It's the top engine mount causing the problem.

Apologies to the OP for taking this OT.

JSeaman Aug 28th, 2007 13:44

Thanks guys, take a while to do and make any job a real pita but I think it's worthwhile. I forgot to mention that if anyone else wants a link to a guide in here then jsut let me know

As soon as that mount causes me a problem there will be a guide :)

4 forty Aug 28th, 2007 15:24

how to section

if you go to "extra stuff" then "articles" at the top of the page, you can post your helpfull articles in the "how to" section.

paul

catflem Aug 28th, 2007 16:33

Anyone who takes the time to document, photograph and then describe a how to guide certainly get the thumbs up from me. The gearbox bushing guide will soon be put to good use by myself.

Whilst some may scoff at a sticky for changing oil/plugs/air filter - if you haven't done any car maintenance before, basic stuff like this is just what you need to get your confidence levels up.

We've all got to start somewhere, for me it was a wreck of a mini 20 years ago owned by my Girlfriend. She'd just been charged £300 to replace a wiper motor when the car was only worth £200. I set about it with a Haynes in one hand and an adjustable spanner in the other, it was the only one I had :-) .

Cheers

JSeaman Aug 28th, 2007 16:37

catflem, couldn't agree more - too many people don't know the basics and have no way of learning

Thanks for the comments, oh and I'm getting the other gearbox bushing tonight so might get another guide tomorrow or the next day

Mutley1 Aug 28th, 2007 17:01

Good job on the guides.
Thanks a lot.

manoman48 Aug 28th, 2007 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeaman (Post 281850)
As soon as that mount causes me a problem there will be a guide :)

Same here, it's often this sort of work that is done most often and gives those of us not used to car maintenance a chance to learn as well as save our money for the big jobs like cambelt changes.

Thanks for your work so far :Banane32: