Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   460 non start (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296750)

bimmer49 Jul 18th, 2019 18:22

460 non start

As for quietly having this 460 away un noticed......
New fuel, whacked the starter (wouldn't go at first) but no attempt at firing up.
The fuel pump isn't pressurising the system.
Fuel in the common rail but not under pressure when ignition on or cranking.
(No schrader valve on this model!!).
In the book it says there is a F.I. fuse behind the glove box but after hooking that out all I see are a load of block connectors.
Connection is good to the tank sensor/pump but I didn't put a meter on the connector (pushed for time and 33deg!)
I whacked the top of the tank sender a few times just incase it was a stuck pump.
Been parked up 3 years at least.
Any idea on these fuses (2 according to the manual) location behind the glove box/

triumphjon Jul 21st, 2019 11:53

will it fire if you spray some brake cleaner down the air intake ? how much fuel is in the tank ? have you got a spark ??

bimmer49 Aug 1st, 2019 19:13

triumphjon: Deffo fuel cos i chucked 5 litres in. Spark no idea. Not tried the carb cleaner/easy start trick.
Going by the fact the fuel pump doesn't fire up and chatter. No fuel pressure in the rail. I can suck a bit of fuel up but because theres no pressure it wont even try to fire up, no injection.
It's either get a second hand pump and get her going or have it transported to home then I can strip the pump down.

Dastardly Diesel Aug 1st, 2019 19:36

Is there a fuel pump relay?

triumphjon Aug 2nd, 2019 10:52

mine will only start if I press the unlock on the remote fob , where is home I might be able to assist I see your only in Winchester, im in Gosport and driver for a local recovery company

bimmer49 Aug 3rd, 2019 21:57

triumphjon: Car is near Malaga........LOL!Thank you tho! It's not got an electronic key.

Dastardly Diesel: Umm I suppose so. I did swap a couple of relays over but not one fuel pump specific (only about 5 relays).

I thinks it is just jammed. I'm not buying a new sender/pump, I'd rather get it recovered to home and I can play with it. It's half the fun. Would just prefer to drive it home. I'll take the sender out and poke it about, test the power supply and see how I get on. Won't be until Sept. now as i'm at work in the UK until then.

bimmer49 Aug 15th, 2019 22:03

Just a thought.... is there a chip in the key for a 1991 vintage?

bimmer49 Aug 18th, 2019 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer49 (Post 2545081)
Just a thought.... is there a chip in the key for a 1991 vintage?

Looking at other Non Start issues there is not a chipped key but a fob entry system on '95 + cars so mine doesnt have such luxuries!