Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Wheel Bearing like grumble sound (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296932)

scooby5141 Jul 24th, 2019 13:26

Wheel Bearing like grumble sound

My wife’s 2008 XC70 D5 135k Miles has a rumble like sound from O/S front wheel. It has a classic knackered wheel bearing grumble with usual symptoms. It gets louder the more miles into a trip you do, is worse when cornering to the left & under braking. I’ve changed the bearing & it’s exactly the same & sure it’s not the wheel because it’s the same with a set of winter steels on. Any ideas what to try next? Thanks

green van man Jul 24th, 2019 16:56

You sure it was the right bearing you changed?

I was convinced the grinding noise from the brake disks was from the nearside but could see nothing wrong, untill I checked the off side and it became obvious.

With that milage I would change both as the other one will be not far behind it, but that's me.

Paul.

scooby5141 Jul 25th, 2019 15:07

Cheers that sounds like a good shout, especially as N/S bearings normally go before O/side in my experience. It’s a shame they’re press in bearings unlike the old style bolt on or i’d Be able to do it myself.

glengibson Sep 26th, 2019 20:53

my car did this and I could of sworn it was the classic wheel bearing worn noise.
Turned out to be the tyres and the way they where wearing making the noise!

Ian21401 Sep 27th, 2019 18:36

I’ve been caught like this in the past. First time I encountered a front wheel bearing problem was on my daughter’s Ford Orion ( the first FWD car I had worked on.) I asked around and was advised that it would be the bearing which was loaded when cornering. ie cornering left so it will be the right hand side bearing. Wrong, it was the unloaded bearing which increased in noise. I only found out after replacing the wrong bearing, so then I had to replace the other one.

Ian.

scooby5141 Jan 25th, 2020 18:29

Finally fixed

Ian, you were right, I finally got round to changing the N/S front bearing & it’s fixed the problem. So it is actually the unloaded Bearing that was making the noise??? I should have done it earlier as I know the N/S of a U.K car takes more of a hammering due to roundabouts but it really sounded like it was coming from the O/S. Least I know they’re both done now.

ShadeTek Jan 28th, 2020 00:43

I am having a bearing or tyre noise just now. It sounded like it was from the rear of the car, everyone who I put on the back seat said it was coming from the rear off-side. I replaced it and the bearing felt a but loose and lumpy. However there is still a noise filling the cabin especially at around 45mph. The noise is louder when throwing the car to the right and quietens down when pulling hard to the left. I have jacked the car up and I can't feel any problems with either of the front wheels. I suspect tyres and I have put the skinny spare on the front Near-side but it made no difference. The noise did start about a month after I replaced both front tyres so I am thinking, move them to the rear and see if this makes the noise change.

Potski Jan 29th, 2020 17:08

Have a look at the rear tyres. I've had a couple wear like a 50p piece which creates an annoying rumble. Wash the tyre and look at it in the light - if it is wearing into a flat it will show up better when its wet.

AndyV7o Jan 29th, 2020 18:44

Check your calipers arent sticking also.
These have a habit of binding, usually due to piston corrosion, they then cause a drone.
Has caused many a scratched head!
Mine did this a few months ago, but I knew to suspect brakes and sure enough when I checked after a motorway run (had to do it, didnt want to with suspect brakes) on a 3° day with torrential rain, one wheel was bone dry and searingly hot, whilst the other 3 were wet and lukewarm...

ShadeTek Feb 25th, 2020 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyV7o (Post 2594634)
Check your calipers arent sticking also.
These have a habit of binding, usually due to piston corrosion, they then cause a drone.
Has caused many a scratched head!
Mine did this a few months ago, but I knew to suspect brakes and sure enough when I checked after a motorway run (had to do it, didnt want to with suspect brakes) on a 3° day with torrential rain, one wheel was bone dry and searingly hot, whilst the other 3 were wet and lukewarm...

I have additional TPMS to the onboard TPMS on my car which shows the temperature at the wheel and will help if I ever get brake caliper bind. I have had caliper bind before resulting in wobbling steering wheel over certain speeds, steam rising from a wheel while standing in traffic on a wet day and the usal burning smell. Normal temps for me are about 25C after a run but if the caliper is binding it will be 250C. I'm still not sure what is causing my noise though.