Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   V60 D4 2019 oil overfill but no warning on dash (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339035)

TominoCa Mar 27th, 2024 23:05

V60 D4 2019 oil overfill but no warning on dash

Hello everyone. I'm pretty sure this has been covered multiple times but I can't find exact example to my problem. Sometimes I do have in car status "oil overfill" but no warning on dash and sometimes it just sits on max. I just randomly discovered it few weeks ago as I was checking ad blue level and freaked out. Service was done last year in August but again Im not sure for how long this is happening as i normally dont check car status. Could it be something to do with DPF? When it says oil overfill there is no signs of active dpf regen so im not really sure what to think about this🤷*♂️

Clan Mar 27th, 2024 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TominoCa (Post 2942667)
Hello everyone. I'm pretty sure this has been covered multiple times but I can't find exact example to my problem. Sometimes I do have in car status "oil overfill" but no warning on dash and sometimes it just sits on max. I just randomly discovered it few weeks ago as I was checking ad blue level and freaked out. Service was done last year in August but again Im not sure for how long this is happening as i normally dont check car status. Could it be something to do with DPF? When it says oil overfill there is no signs of active dpf regen so im not really sure what to think about this🤷*♂️

The level could be marginally just on the upper limit so as it heats up the volume increases slightly.

Have you ever reset the oil level gauge?

To get the correct oil level in the car , drain out the oil and from the oil filter housing. put back exactly 5 litres and get the oil level gauge reset. 20 miles later the oil gauge should be reading correctly .

TominoCa Mar 28th, 2024 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2942672)
The level could be marginally just on the upper limit so as it heats up the volume increases slightly.

Have you ever reset the oil level gauge?

To get the correct oil level in the car , drain out the oil and from the oil filter housing. put back exactly 5 litres and get the oil level gauge reset. 20 miles later the oil gauge should be reading correctly .

The oil overfill status is there usually as soon as I start the car but again it will be there this morning but later that day or tomorrow morning it will be in "normal"

I haven't no. Bought car last year from dealership when they done service and MOT prior to sale and since then it wasn't touched. Probably worth to take to garage I guess even tho there is no warning message on

TominoCa Mar 28th, 2024 08:02

Never mind oil level warning came on this morning so will take to garage regardless. Just find it weird that oil overfill warning comes up after several months of driving. Would it be better to just drain bit of oil or completely drain and fill bit less than its recommended?

TominoCa Mar 28th, 2024 11:17

Oil and filter changed, put there little less to have space when dpf does regen which was indeed in fault. Fuel was mixing with oil but it never got hot enough to burn it off as i was doing quite few short journeys lately and not so much long one's. Also checked codes and apart from some old ones there was no issue related to DPF. Advice was drive it at least once in 2 weeks on motorway for like 40 mins so it can do its thing. Also apparently regen is not always obvious (start/stop disabled, louder engine, fan on, etc,...) sometimes you dont even know about it which is news to me. Either way thought i will post update just in case anybody else have a same problem in future as it will be probably common issue.

neilgorin Mar 28th, 2024 16:16

The oil level rises slightly on D3/D4/D5 engines due to the regeneration system, essentially a little diesel gets in there.

Most garages fill it to 2/3 between min and max to allow it to increase slightly between services.

On my 19 D4 it solved itself once it reached 90000 miles as it started to go down between services, not fast but maybe 1/2 a litre after 10000 miles.

Steve XC60 Apr 2nd, 2024 08:32

Worth you reading this thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=332362
and also the thread referred to in that thread.

Ignore the comment about going for a 40 minute drive on the motorway every so often as unless by fluke you just happen to time that journey with when your dpf filter reaches 100% (which is unlikely) all you will be doing is wasting your time and fuel! That is just something they say so that they can use the excuse that it is your fault due to doing lots of short journeys. Arguably it is your fault for doing lots of short journeys, but they might as well tell you it is your fault because you are driving the car!

Gotcha Apr 2nd, 2024 08:49

On a diesel be very carefull to not overfill, it can cause a runaway situation.