Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Removing haldex 3 from car. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290756)

jgjones095 Jan 17th, 2019 17:44

Removing haldex 3 from car.

Hi got a xc70 06 which needs a haldex service. Have a pump fault from vida.

Anyway I have read that the haldex can be competely removed from the car. Save me struggled under the car!
I think they do this on landrovers.

I'm wondering how to remove the haldex (I read it's 4 bolt)
What seals are required on replacing it.

Any advice would be great as it's my next job to get this car back on the road.

S60D5-185 Jan 17th, 2019 19:12

I can see no advantage in this at all. Quite the opposite

You would still need to remove the propshaft from the haldex unit before removing it from the car and at that point you only have to remove one more nut to remove the entire flange.

This would then give full access to the pump which is only held in place with two allen bolts as is the filter.

Even if you removed the prop at the rear , unbolted the entire haldex assembly and had it on the bench, you would still need to remove the rear flange to get the pump out.

100K+ Jan 19th, 2019 09:34

Agree with S60D5, don't see an advantage in removing Haldex to service the pump.
I have read its possible to remove the filter with all exhaust/Prop in situ using a cut down ( shortened) T40 bit, and using the old filter cover plate, as the new ribbed version can't be refitted due to poor access.

Before I started riving the exhaust/prop off I'd test the pump to see if I could hear it running. You can use a 12v battery or like I have done a 9V radio battery. It don't go at full speed but you can hear it running.

Obvious question, but have you checked the oil level/quality??

Good luck

Cheers
Bob

jgjones095 Jan 19th, 2019 23:30

I have a haldex 3 which means removing the exhaust prop and flange to remove the pump.

The pump is tested with direct 12v and is not working hence the vida dice code for the pump.

Next is to tackle the rounded off hex bolts holding the cover plate and filter in...

100K+ Jan 20th, 2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgjones095 (Post 2486721)

Next is to tackle the rounded off hex bolts holding the cover plate and filter in...

That's where I'm at if I want to remove my cover plate, and other than buy 2x 40 torx's and araldite them into the recesses, I've pretty much drawn a blank about how to proceed. Fortunately, at the moment I don't need to be in there.

I wish you the best, n pls report back on how you got the plate off.

Cheers

Bob.

jgjones095 Jan 29th, 2019 07:10

Finished on the weekend.

I applied heat to the bolt heads then got a big mole grips very tightly on the bolt heads.
They loosened thankfully!

Oh and I left the haldex on the car an managed to squeeze underneath.

jgjones095 Feb 13th, 2019 23:24

Well..... after all the work the flange oil seal leaked.

Time for round 2!

So the car is now back up on ramps and axle stand but this time on tarmac not chippings!

Exhaust dropped, prop off, flange off, oil pumped oil and new pump removed.

Struggles to get the the oil seal off in situ so removed the haldex to work on the bench.

Damn so much easier to remove the 4 10mm bolts and work with the haldex on the bench!

Wish I removed it 1st time around!

S60D5-185 Feb 14th, 2019 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgjones095 (Post 2495473)
Well..... after all the work the flange oil seal leaked.

Time for round 2!

So the car is now back up on ramps and axle stand but this time on tarmac not chippings!

Exhaust dropped, prop off, flange off, oil pumped oil and new pump removed.

Struggles to get the the oil seal off in situ so removed the haldex to work on the bench.

Damn so much easier to remove the 4 10mm bolts and work with the haldex on the bench!

Wish I removed it 1st time around!

You had to do all of the above BEFORE you could have ever removed the complete Haldex to work on a bench with it so if the seal had not been leaking it would have been an entirely pointless exercise!:regular_smile:

jgjones095 Feb 14th, 2019 19:43

Yeah but it would have been easier doing the 1st job instead of lying on my back 😂 would have probably avoided damaging the seal too.

Lesson learnt next time get the seal changed at the same time the 1st time.

S60D5-185 Feb 14th, 2019 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgjones095 (Post 2495688)
Yeah but it would have been easier doing the 1st job instead of lying on my back 😂 would have probably avoided damaging the seal too.

Lesson learnt next time get the seal changed at the same time the 1st time.

How?

Please explain to me exactly how you would have got that Haldex unit onto your bench without FIRST removing the exhaust and propshaft whilst lying on your back underneath the car.

I'm baffled.