Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   340 GL - what to do? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=227682)

M4rk Apr 14th, 2015 16:48

340 GL - what to do?

Hi all,

Need your help please.
I got offered a G Reg Volvo 340 for free.
The car has only 28,400 miles on the clock, always services with the MOT etc.
, my main driver is at the moment a Volvo S60 and to be honest we don't have the space, nor the money to have a 3rd car. However I'm really tempted to take this car on as my main Car because I like older cars. Next issue is that I have only time to Saturday to make a fission, as this car will be most likely scrapped as the owners (my Wife's Grandparents) need to move to a retirement home.

I know this question is a bit bankers, but I fight with my self! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

360beast Apr 14th, 2015 18:01

Didn't let it go to the scrappy! Less than 1k of these left in the UK so don't let that drop for no good reason.

Clan Apr 14th, 2015 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4rk (Post 1894320)
Hi all,

Need your help please.
I got offered a G Reg Volvo 340 for free.
The car has only 28,400 miles on the clock, always services with the MOT etc.
, my main driver is at the moment a Volvo S60 and to be honest we don't have the space, nor the money to have a 3rd car. However I'm really tempted to take this car on as my main Car because I like older cars. Next issue is that I have only time to Saturday to make a fission, as this car will be most likely scrapped as the owners (my Wife's Grandparents) need to move to a retirement home.

I know this question is a bit bankers, but I fight with my self! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

You just have to take it on you wont regret it . Then decide what to do with it . write a list of everything you can find wrong with it , have a good check for rust in the sills and front panel under the bumper and everywhere . The car will be utterly reliable , far more reliable than any new car today . If you intend to keep it for some years have a go with rustproofing , get a spray kit , take all the interior out and door panels , spray dinitrol in all the hollow sections to preserve the car .. not forgetting those box sections in the door across the area where the mirrors are .
Fit some decent tyres becase cheap or ones that are years old will scare you when you go around a roundabout in the wet ! However there is huge grip with decent premium tyres with the cars near 50 - 50 weight distribution .

classicswede Apr 14th, 2015 19:59

The 340 is a great little car. A few things do go with age more than millage.

Whatever you do don't let it be scrapped as there will be someone out there who would give it a home.

M4rk Apr 14th, 2015 23:18

Had not much time to spend with the car, tried to start it but forgot it has choke and started the car by using the accelerator (stupid me), engine was running fine but the hand break is stuck... here are some pictures... https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c

classicswede Apr 15th, 2015 08:53

Common issue if left parked up with the handbrake on. Will normally free off with a few bang with a hammer on the rear brake drums

mchudd Apr 15th, 2015 19:33

Hi mate.
You have a realy low mileage car there. I would certinally keep it.
Classic insurance is low. I would put a set of floor trays in it to
preserve the carpet.
My 83 modol has floor trays and the carpet is like new.
Speaker needs a cover but they can be found.
A car this good should not be scraped. Good luck.
Cheers Mark.
:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumb s_up::thumbs_up:

doingitsideways Apr 15th, 2015 23:10

That really does look lovely :)

I'm in Manchester, don't know too much about 300s, but if you'd like an extra pair of eyes to give it a once over then give me a shout.

To be fair though, I'd only end up falling in love with it! :(

Steve :thumbs_up:

RobertP Apr 16th, 2015 20:46

If you do take it on I have a set of floor trays (in Crewe). You would be welcome to have them if you could collect.

M4rk Apr 24th, 2015 09:10

Will collect the car today, got the insurance yesterday (dint know that it can be a nightmare for a car which is over 26 yrs old). Need to try to get the breaks of and get the car taxed. Can't wait ;)