Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Black V50 Headlamps (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285508)

Skaartj Aug 24th, 2018 09:51

Easy to split headlamps as i have just done it because i have a LHD car with a broken front lens/cover so got a used RHD lamp and changed it over though with hindsight i could have just swapped the projectors over. You just need to use a hairdryer and heat up around the edge while prying it apart with a prying tool, just need to take your time.

VX280 Aug 24th, 2018 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2440793)
the first link is for FL lamp, ok, but it is the same as you have. I doubt its "darker" - just probably due to photo conditions. Looks identical to OEM.
second link is pre-FL model, if you look closely notice the difference (indicator reflector is separate like the 3rd eye).

A word of advice though - you really DONT want the aftermarket lamps. Their quality is often terrible, as for plastic parts and beam allignment. I tried TYC headlamps that seem to be best of aftermarket ones and returned them next day. It will pass MOT, fair enough, but unless you want the lamp to just shine rather than light up road - do NOT get aftermarket ones.

Misting - its down to various conditions, take the headlamp out and inspect it thoroughly on table - any cracks, holes? is the back - panel (the part that opens) alligned properly? are seals there?
You know its very easy to remove them headlights, right? (1 hitch and unclip connectors)

Again thank you. I'll avoid aftermarket units but may play about with a spare unti and spray the internal plastics a dark gunmetal or something to see what's it like. Is changing the colour of the internal plastic likely to alter the performance of the lamps in any way?

The guy I bought it from showed me how to change bulbs thanks 👍

VX280 Aug 24th, 2018 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skaartj (Post 2440818)
Easy to split headlamps as i have just done it because i have a LHD car with a broken front lens/cover so got a used RHD lamp and changed it over though with hindsight i could have just swapped the projectors over. You just need to use a hairdryer and heat up around the edge while prying it apart with a prying tool, just need to take your time.

Thanks that's good to know 👍

LizardOfBodom Aug 25th, 2018 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by VX280 (Post 2441098)
Again thank you. I'll avoid aftermarket units but may play about with a spare unti and spray the internal plastics a dark gunmetal or something to see what's it like. Is changing the colour of the internal plastic likely to alter the performance of the lamps in any way?

The guy I bought it from showed me how to change bulbs thanks 👍

Nope, unless you paint accidentally the chrome on high-beam reflector or projector lens. Everything else is just cosmetic purpose.

VX280 Aug 25th, 2018 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2441189)
Nope, unless you paint accidentally the chrome on high-beam reflector or projector lens. Everything else is just cosmetic purpose.

Cool 👍 I'll give it a go if I can find a cheap enough unit.