Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Fuel: fill it up, or a tenner? Twenty? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275409)

I-S Nov 26th, 2017 23:12

Fuel: fill it up, or a tenner? Twenty?

I'm curious what people do.

Do you fill the car to the brim each time? Or do you put a tenner's worth in? Or maybe a twenty these days?

canis Nov 26th, 2017 23:39

I usually get multiples of five litres, usually 15. And a few millilitres either side, I don't care.

Never did understand this thing about putting in an exact monetary amount to the exact penny. Wierd.

Waynedance Nov 27th, 2017 00:17

Gets filled..... pointless not doing so, costs more having to keep going to fill up with small amounts.

Tomoose Nov 27th, 2017 00:29

Fuel stations are miserable smelly places and to avoid them I let the tank get to reserve and then fill to the brim and only need to fill up approximately every 3 weeks :thumbs_up: This is also better for my waist line as the temptation of a Ginsters and a Snickers is often too much to withstand!

green van man Nov 27th, 2017 06:28

Ever since the fuel shortages of the 1980s ? ( It was a long time ago) I have kept my cars full of fuel and treat half a tank as empty and refill.
I also live in a rural area where fuel is more expensive than urban often by 4p a litre so whenever I visit the grandkids in Cardiff the tank gets topped off. It is only recently we have had 24 hour fuel available via pay at pump facilities in supermarkets but even that is 17 miles away which is another reason I keep the cars full.
The works van needs filling 3 times a week, great for the nectar points but a pain in the bum as there are only 2 garages in the county that take the supplied BP fuel card and it can mean a 50 mile drive just to fuel up so every last drop is squeezed in.

Paul.

Sasha94 Nov 27th, 2017 06:35

Full to empty every time. The miles I do in the V50 it uses over a tank a week so it’s the only thing that makes sense, otherwise I’d be filling it every day. I do the same for the Merc because even a 66 litre tank doesn’t get you very far at 20 MPG!!

T5Sweep Nov 27th, 2017 07:10

£40 for me, does me for a weeks driving. I don't actually mind petrol stations.

S60D5-185 Nov 27th, 2017 07:42

I never ever let it go below 1/4 full and then fill it to the brim.

I cannot see the point of putting dribs and drabs in on a regular basis as it is just a waste of time and fuel doing so.

Baxlin Nov 27th, 2017 08:05

Fill to the brim every time, as I like (sad I know!) to do a brim to brim mpg check.

Rant... I filled up in Herts last week at 126.9 a litre, then again a few days later on the Isle of Wight at 109:8!

Also, my local Esso station put up the diesel price by 2p at midnight BEFORE the budget........

Rants over

tt82 Nov 27th, 2017 08:51

Purely because of the mileage I do, it's a full tank every time. My local Shell garage is literally only just round the corner from my house so it would cost me nothing to fuel up daily.

Were I not doing the mileage, in Autumn/Winter/Spring I would be tempted to keep the car brimmed as much as possible to reduce the amount of condensation inside the tank. I know modern cars all have plastic tanks unlike older cars with there steel tanks, so rust is not an issue, but the D5's do have a catch in the diesel filter for water. I wouldn't want this to overflow and water to pulled into the engine. In Summer I may be tempted to only put in what was needed, although the economy benefits for doing so would probably be negligible on a car weighing nearly 2 tons!