Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Aqua blades? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285153)

biogoo Aug 10th, 2018 23:16

Aqua blades?

My XC60's washers have been misbehaving - the rear one had packed up completely and those on the Aqua blades don't start squirting water until the 2nd or 3rd sweep of the screen, so it was in with Volvo today for them to fix.

The washers on the S90 loan car worked just as I expected, water started coming out of the Aqua blades as soon as I pulled back the stalk, so I assumed that there must be some problem with the non-return valve on mine. When I collected my car this afternoon, the dealer told me that the washer delay was completely normal.

I find it hard to believe that the wipers would be designed to smear dirt across the screen for a couple of swipes before then trying to clean it off - surely that's not the case? How do everyone else's work - instant water, or a long wait?

Quacker Aug 10th, 2018 23:29

Instant water on every swipe left to right, which means that on right hand drive UK and Ireland cars the water flows with the very first movement of the blades.

biogoo Aug 10th, 2018 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2436056)
Instant water on every swipe left to right, which means that on right hand drive UK and Ireland cars the water flows with the very first movement of the blades.

Thanks, that's exactly what I expected and exactly how they worked in the loan car. Looks like I'll need to find a better dealer...

MaDProFF Aug 11th, 2018 00:16

Mine is same as soon as it wipes across water comes out of washers, it is when you release the water stalk that it carries on for a few wipes with no water, I would like it to only wipe once personally.

Fursty Ferret Aug 11th, 2018 09:51

Park your car next to one of their loan cars and insist the dealer tries both side-by-side?

Check that a hose isn't coming off, if you can see them. If there's a slight leak it'll have to refill the hose + blade each time you use the washer.

Bernard F Aug 11th, 2018 12:14

Another instant water. Best car window wash ever. Most impressive.

nu11eaf Aug 11th, 2018 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by biogoo (Post 2436057)
Thanks, that's exactly what I expected and exactly how they worked in the loan car. Looks like I'll need to find a better dealer...

Your wiper blades won't last very long the way yours are working and the screen will end up scratched. Insist that they sort it out. If no joy contact Volvo UK. They will get on to your dealer and you will get action then.

Converted Aug 11th, 2018 15:44

Try another dealer I reckon. This one just seems lacking in customer care and just want to fob you off.

Whiterdesign Aug 11th, 2018 15:54

I’ve had exactly the same problem with my rear washer, never seemed very good from new, didn’t spray much. Eventually about a month ago it packed up completely. Also noticed that I was getting a white deposit on the screen when it was working. I had never put any water in the bottle from new so topped it up just to make sure. Still didn’t work but I could hear the motor running. As my dealer is 50 miles away decided to have a look my self. Removed the inspection panel at the top of the inside boot lid, which was very easy, and you can gain access to the pipe work. Disconnected the pipe going to the non return valve and the clipped out the nozzle which again is easy. On inspecting the valve found it was completely blocked with a white deposit. So I paced a container on back shelf and put the main pipe outlet in it. Switched the washer on and the amount of white crud that came out was ridiculous. Ran about a pint of water through before it went clear. Put the valve in hot water and with the help of a pin managed to clear it. Put it all back together and the washer has never worked so well. Where the crud came from, I don’t know but it must have been there from new. Wonder if you have a similar problem. Going to mention to my dealer when it goes in for service but that is not until January. Bit concerned it doesn’t affect the front washers as the outlet holes are very small on the blades

Waggatron Aug 11th, 2018 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiterdesign (Post 2436217)
Also noticed that I was getting a white deposit on the screen when it was working.

Interesting. I too haven’t yet put washer fluid in so I’m using what it’s been supplied with. I also got a white deposit, firstly with the front and then with the back. Tasted it....and it was really salty. Quite stubborn to wash off. Needed car shampoo and agitation to shift. Heaven knows what it was but it has now stopped and washers front and back working ok.