Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   D5252T smoking from dipstick (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297901)

Iceonfire Aug 23rd, 2019 06:55

D5252T smoking from dipstick

Good morning all.
New guy on the forum and already have a problem. I recently acquired a V70, 2.5 TDI. Had the same engine in my old VWT4 that had about 270,000 miles on it when I parted with it. No issues with this one.
Anyway, back to my issue, I have noticed that there is smoke coming out of the dipstick. I have been scouring the net, and seen various posts mentioning the PCV. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be my problem and if there is anything obvious that I can do to it initially, to try and rectify the problem, such as blocked pipes,or something?
No better place to ask I thought, with all your knowledge and expertise.

volvo again Aug 23rd, 2019 09:01

PCV system probably blocked causing excessive crankcase pressure, if not done it may lead to oil leaking from crankshaft seals.
Not a difficult job to replace hoses and oil trap but need to remove intake manifold.

rudi dudi Aug 23rd, 2019 09:15

Mate just drive it.
As for Pcv issues it doesn't have one ...Only applies to Petrols.
They are bombroof and know them very well.
Your looking for a problem that doesn't exist

rudi dudi Aug 23rd, 2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo again (Post 2547333)
PCV system probably blocked causing excessive crankcase pressure, if not done it may lead to oil leaking from crankshaft seals.
Not a difficult job to replace hoses and oil trap but need to remove intake manifold.

Nope not applicable to the diesel

Iceonfire Aug 23rd, 2019 10:25

Thanks for the information about the PCV, everyday a school day. Surely it can’t be good for it to be coming out of here though.
Am I right in thinking that it is the crankcase venting, through the dipstick as it is unable to go it’s normal route? If so, what is it’s normal route?

XC90Mk1 Aug 23rd, 2019 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceonfire (Post 2547375)
Thanks for the information about the PCV, everyday a school day. Surely it can’t be good for it to be coming out of here though.
Am I right in thinking that it is the crankcase venting, through the dipstick as it is unable to go it’s normal route? If so, what is it’s normal route?

I think it depends on what you define as ‘smoke’. If you have flow of smoke coming out and it quickly gets to the point where you have lots of smoke around that’s an issue.

If you get a bit of steam/smoke when at temp with the dipstick out I am not sure I would be too worried...

Iceonfire Aug 23rd, 2019 10:35

It was up to temperature, when I popped the hood and I noticed it weeping from the dipstick, when I took the dipstick out it was like a chimney pot

rudi dudi Aug 23rd, 2019 11:47

This is my final post on it...
There's nothing wrong with it.
I've just checked all of mine and they do it.

Your looking for a non existent problem.
My ones are at the following miles.
Vehicle no 1 327k
No 2 234k
No 3 149k
No 4. 102k
No 5 64k

Cant say I've ever looked before and I've only been around these for 20 odd years.

Just drive it it is fine.
Invest your money in keeping on top of belts and tenssioners and it will live nearly forever.

volvo again Aug 23rd, 2019 11:56

Yep, just noticed it's a diesel, my mistake

Martin Cox Aug 23rd, 2019 14:03

If the oil consumption is normal and there's no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant then I don't think there's any cause to worry.

Having said that, I've just checked mine (1998 D5252T 225,000 miles) and it isn't smoking from the dipstick on this occasion but then I've never checked before.

Martin