Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Thermostate what brand i should buy (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285183)

nandor90 Aug 12th, 2018 13:31

Thermostate what brand i should buy

I have a little problem the cooling turns on after i turn off car... kinda wierd cause i let it idle before i shut down, Its V40 1,9D 2001. Its not cooling when i drive notice after i stop it...I cant see the tempeture only its in middle all the time. Gauges also have some issues i dont know how to remove Instrument table, tried but its so little space that i have no idea how to do it without removing wheel/abs.

gatos Aug 12th, 2018 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandor90 (Post 2436443)
I have a little problem the cooling turns on after i turn off car... kinda wierd cause i let it idle before i shut down, Its V40 1,9D 2001. Its not cooling when i drive notice after i stop it...I cant see the tempeture only its in middle all the time. Gauges also have some issues i dont know how to remove Instrument table, tried but its so little space that i have no idea how to do it without removing wheel/abs.

Does the fan ALWAYS come on after you drive the car and stop the engine? Even after a short drive and when it is cold outside? If yes, you might indeed have a faulty thermostat. Also, however odd it may sound, you may also have a problem with your MAF sensor. Next time the fan kicks in after the engine is shut down, try unpluging the MAF sensor and see if the fan stops there and then

With regards to instrument cluster coming out, it is quite tight indeed. You can either remove the steering wheel and you will have plenty of room, or you can remove the big plastic cover on the driver's footwell and you can then see 2 brackets with two bolts each securing the steering column to the car frame. If you loosen or remove thos bolts, the steering column and steering wheel will fall down to the car seat and you will also have plenty of room to remove the instrument panel

PS. If you go ahead and remove the instrument panel and try to take it apart, you will need to be very very careful, as those needles are too bloody sensitive and once you remove them you will struggle a lot getting them back to their original position. Learnt the hard way myself.....:rolleyes:

nandor90 Aug 12th, 2018 17:47

I just want to spray the backpanel where the contact attachments are with wd40... in case thats the problem of not working properly. But may be the alternator did the problem cause of faulty pulley, which we changed today. with new belt.

Clan Aug 12th, 2018 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandor90 (Post 2436443)

The fan can run when you switch off , It depends on the temperatures under the bonnet , ambient temperature etc . It won't run for long , maybe 10 minutes ?It can't and won't be a faulty thermostat because the gauge is always in the correct half way position . I don't think you have a problem.

nandor90 Aug 12th, 2018 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2436532)
The fan can run when you switch off , It depends on the temperatures under the bonnet , ambient temperature etc . It won't run for long , maybe 10 minutes ?It can't and won't be a faulty thermostat because the gauge is always in the correct half way position . I don't think you have a problem.

Its sometimes start when i park the car and idling than i wait to finish, than i turn off engine, and than it switches back on the cooling.

gatos Aug 13th, 2018 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandor90 (Post 2436653)
Its sometimes start when i park the car and idling than i wait to finish, than i turn off engine, and than it switches back on the cooling.

Try unplugging the MAF next time it happens and see if the fun stops

Clan Aug 13th, 2018 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandor90 (Post 2436653)

yes because the under bonnet temperature is high , it's normal … the reason it might go off if you disconnect the Air Mass Meter is that there is an air temperature sensor in it .

canis Aug 13th, 2018 17:15

Let's get this absolutely clear:

You're parking, presumably after having driven for a few miles, engine is at normal temperature and the fan is running. You finish parking, and kill the engine, but the radiator fan still runs. For how long? Is this even right?

Please explain more thoroughly because without the nitty-gritty, all you can expect are guesses. They might be very good guesses, but detail is necessary for proper diagnosis.

canis Aug 13th, 2018 17:25

By the way, the instrument cluster is much easier to remove if you lower the steering column. It's only two nuts, fairly large, which hold the column up against the underneath of the dashboard.

But spraying everything with WD40 won't help anything. In the old days regular spraying of HT terminals and distributor cap was the "old wives tale" fix for sparking problem, Bourne out of the can reading that it "dispels water". You don't have water in your instrument cluster, I think, or you would have mentioned it. WD40 doesn't magically improve conductivity, but it will turn your circuitry into a greasy mess, which will accumulate dirt and that will harbour moisture. So you'll actually be doing more harm than good. Don't spray electronics with WD40, it's a very bad idea.

ITSv40 Aug 13th, 2018 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 2436848)
Let's get this absolutely clear:

You're parking, presumably after having driven for a few miles, engine is at normal temperature and the fan is running. You finish parking, and kill the engine, but the radiator fan still runs. For how long? Is this even right?

Please explain more thoroughly because without the nitty-gritty, all you can expect are guesses. They might be very good guesses, but detail is necessary for proper diagnosis.

The OP's car is behaving perfectly normally. Having switched off the engine and the car is stationary, the underbonnet temperature will rise and possibly activate the cooling fan to reduce the temperature. The length of time the fan runs is dependent on a, the engine temperature and b, the ambient temperature. That is why there is a yellow warning sticker under the bonnet stating: Self starting fan, keep hands clear.