Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Interior roof grab handles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297257)

Shay40run Aug 4th, 2019 05:41

Interior roof grab handles

Yesterday I picked up a 2017 R Design D4 having upgraded from my beloved V50.

In prep I’d bought the sunglasses holder to fit in place of the drivers grab handle but there’s not one fitted! All other doors have one but I cannot even feel where the bolt holes would be pre-drilled.

Have any of you experienced this and do you know if the holes are pre-drilled? It’s a bit annoying as I find this a handy bit of kit, I can fit it above the passenger door but that’ll be a bit dangerous should the sun come out while I’m driving.

Clan Aug 4th, 2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shay40run (Post 2541809)
Yesterday I picked up a 2017 R Design D4 having upgraded from my beloved V50.

In prep I’d bought the sunglasses holder to fit in place of the drivers grab handle but there’s not one fitted! All other doors have one but I cannot even feel where the bolt holes would be pre-drilled.

Have any of you experienced this and do you know if the holes are pre-drilled? It’s a bit annoying as I find this a handy bit of kit, I can fit it above the passenger door but that’ll be a bit dangerous should the sun come out while I’m driving.

they deleted them from 2017 models .... no doubt the screwed holes are still in the roof, do you have screws with the kit? A brave man cuts a D shape hole in his headlining !

Shay40run Aug 4th, 2019 19:15

No fixings in the kit. I found info that suggests they can be fitted as some people had complained. I think I’ll wait til it goes to the dealer for the D4 recall & see if they can retro fit one. I’m not brave enough to mess about with cutting!!!

Clan Aug 4th, 2019 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shay40run (Post 2541988)
No fixings in the kit. I found info that suggests they can be fitted as some people had complained. I think I’ll wait til it goes to the dealer for the D4 recall & see if they can retro fit one. I’m not brave enough to mess about with cutting!!!

I think all they will need is 2 screws , a sharp knife and some finesse .:-)

Tannaton Aug 5th, 2019 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2542022)

If it was me, I’d have two of the things on your list :-)

Shay40run Aug 5th, 2019 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2542022)

I may give it a try as I’m hoping to fit a reverse camera this weekend so can try to have a look under the headlining.:teeth_smile:

Shay40run Aug 5th, 2019 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2542079)
If it was me, I’d have two of the things on your list :-)

Ditto! I can get a little impatient

mattievrs Aug 10th, 2019 09:55

I fitted a glass holder the other week to my 16 v40. The fitting was under the headlining and I made a template from the passenger side handle holes and used it to do the drivers side cutting. Worked spot on. I used 2x m6 bolts 10mm in length and fits fine. I was told that some later cars don’t have the mounting bracket welded into the roof for fitting but mine had it. I pulled the lining down first and had a good look and feel to make sure the mount was present.

Shay40run Aug 10th, 2019 16:56

I did pull the headlining down earlier today, before I saw your post. I definitely felt one bolt hole so will give it a proper go tomorrow when the weather is a bit better! At least I know there’s hope now.:teeth_smile:

I actually bought some M6 20mm bolts today for fitting number plates so will give them a try.

Thank you!

mattievrs Aug 10th, 2019 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shay40run (Post 2543645)
I did pull the headlining down earlier today, before I saw your post. I definitely felt one bolt hole so will give it a proper go tomorrow when the weather is a bit better! At least I know there’s hope now.:teeth_smile:

I actually bought some M6 20mm bolts today for fitting number plates so will give them a try.

Thank you!

Just be careful with the bolt length as they may be too long and dent the roof outward if you get me?