Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Newbie - key question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297760)

rikernumber1 Aug 19th, 2019 12:34

Newbie - key question

Hello All - picked up a 2011 XC60 D3 over the weekend - looking forward to a few years of Volvo motoring. Previous vehicle was a Honda CR-V Petrol auto, so looking forward to saving some money on fuel!

I have a question about the 'key' - I have looked in the manual and can't find an answer. My vehicle requires you to put the key in the slot on the dash to start it; however, I found out (whilst stationary) that once the engine is started you can remove it from that slot, and the engine continues to run, which I was surprised about.

The only reason I'd want to remove the key once the engine was started would be to stop my other traditional keys (on the same ring) scratching that bit of the dash below the slot. The manual doesn't say you can do this, so I'm wondering if it's OK to remove the key after starting?

TIA

Phillip

Clan Aug 19th, 2019 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikernumber1 (Post 2546135)
Hello All - picked up a 2011 XC60 D3 over the weekend - looking forward to a few years of Volvo motoring. Previous vehicle was a Honda CR-V Petrol auto, so looking forward to saving some money on fuel!

I have a question about the 'key' - I have looked in the manual and can't find an answer. My vehicle requires you to put the key in the slot on the dash to start it; however, I found out (whilst stationary) that once the engine is started you can remove it from that slot, and the engine continues to run, which I was surprised about.

The only reason I'd want to remove the key once the engine was started would be to stop my other traditional keys (on the same ring) scratching that bit of the dash below the slot. The manual doesn't say you can do this, so I'm wondering if it's OK to remove the key after starting?

TIA

Phillip

That is a safety feature , otherwise if the key falls out or is accidentally pulled out you don't want the engine stopping ! I wonder if Stop / start works without the key in?

Chrisv60 Aug 19th, 2019 18:15

I've found it particularly useful when about to reverse off the drive and someone wants to go back in the house to retrieve their glasses / wallet / game / drink / go to the toilet.

JRS80 Aug 19th, 2019 22:22

I keep my car key separate and have a nifty little Volvo ‘branded’ zipped faux leather key case to store it in (fleabay’s finest). I feel this is both safer and prevents keys from rattling around the dashboard.

GrahamHR Aug 19th, 2019 22:44

My 2015 V60 doesn't need the "key" to be in the slot to either start the engine or stop it. The advantage of having it in the slot is that somehow it detects the remote control battery voltage; so it can be changed before it becomes an issue.

marsdalebear Aug 22nd, 2019 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamHR (Post 2546329)
My 2015 V60 doesn't need the "key" to be in the slot to either start the engine or stop it. The advantage of having it in the slot is that somehow it detects the remote control battery voltage; so it can be changed before it becomes an issue.

Never used the slot since the second day of ownership. Just keep it in my pocket.

Clan Aug 22nd, 2019 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamHR (Post 2546329)

you must have the keyless system then :-) does it unlock the doors when you press the handle ?

smudgers Aug 22nd, 2019 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS80 (Post 2546321)
I keep my car key separate and have a nifty little Volvo ‘branded’ zipped faux leather key case to store it in (fleabay’s finest). I feel this is both safer and prevents keys from rattling around the dashboard.

Hi, I have thought about buying one too but can't help but wonder if I'd end up leaving it in the car and never using it. how do you find the case thingy ?

to answer the main question, I agree it is a pain and think its the first car key I have had without a key ring for the same reason not wanting to scratch the dash

dhr90 Aug 22nd, 2019 20:43

I quickly found out about it potentially scratching the dash of I left the key in. Now I am in the habit of putting the key in my pocket as soon as I start up. As I’m not getting in and out a lot, it doesn’t really both me. I do enjoy the convenience of keyless start each time I get a hire car with it though.

GrahamHR Aug 22nd, 2019 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2547113)
you must have the keyless system then :-) does it unlock the doors when you press the handle ?

Yes, but it gets confused sometimes.

Like the front parking sensors did today when in a traffic queue; they did a cycle; dangerously close warning. less close, even less close, nothing to worry about whilst not moving; the car in front didn't move either.