Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine sound. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286711)

Anubisxc70 Sep 23rd, 2018 07:51

Engine sound.

2004 XC70 D5 awd.

I know sounds and clunks are always a pain to sort out. But here it goes maybe you guys have some idea.

4 weeks ago, my intercooler, radiator, egr valve, and Maf were changed. From this changes two things came up. First was smoke, that was caused by a defected MAF, the old went in and it seems it solved the problem.

The second change is, noise inside the cabin, the car became more noisy especially between 1500 and 2200 (i think) when it pulls its really loud. Now the strange parts. Its not every time, and usually the noise decreases with temperature i guess, after being running for an hour or so the noise seems to reduce.

I have checked the exhaust for leaks, the only i couldn't see very well was the flexible, i could find none. I have checked the fire wall , the seal from the steering wheel, all is fine there. I didn't see nothing against the body so it could cause an eco.

Vida tells my car has 3 codes. Air quality sensor, radio is missing, and cruise control not working...but it does. So none related for the engine to make that sound.

I guess the parts i have changed...could not cause the sound, strangely that it got louder since they were changed.
The car pulls like it never did at higher rpm on cruise its silent unless of course a hard pull is made.

I know i can buy soundproof material and make it better, but i would like to know your opinions about it.

Many Thanks...................once again

Tunneruk Sep 23rd, 2018 08:56

If your car is now pulling harder than ever before it's highly likely that it'll be either top cross mount or lower torque mount related. The engine is pulling (Trying to twist) more than ever before and probably reaching the end of the play on the worn bushes, possibly pushing metal onto metal.
Particularly as you describe at 1500-2200 RPM which is bang on peak torque range for a D5.

The good news is that either or both of these mounts are easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Anubisxc70 Sep 23rd, 2018 08:58

All my mounts including the right one were replaced 4 months ago. All Meyle HD. I have no vacuum lost and the mounts are all ok.

:confused_smile:

Tunneruk Sep 23rd, 2018 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2450300)
All my mounts including the right one were replaced 4 months ago. All Meyle HD. I have no vacuum lost and the mounts are all ok.

:confused_smile:

"All" of them? Including the top tie bar central and strut top bushes and both lower gearbox torque mounts?

Anubisxc70 Sep 23rd, 2018 09:51

Yes Sir, all. Not strut or control harms ...not yet next year project. but all the others , yes
But the sound is not of a bad mount it really engine sound, like and exhaust leak . But there isn't any..............:omg_smile:

Tunneruk Sep 23rd, 2018 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2450318)
Yes Sir, all. Not strut or control harms ...not yet next year project. but all the others , yes
But the sound is not of a bad mount it really engine sound, like and exhaust leak . But there isn't any..............:omg_smile:

My engine really roars (induction noise) when I plant my foot down ..... that's natural for these engines. Perhaps that's what it is!

davebb Sep 23rd, 2018 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2450286)
2004 XC70 D5 awd.

I know sounds and clunks are always a pain to sort out. But here it goes maybe you guys have some idea.

4 weeks ago, my intercooler, radiator, egr valve, and Maf were changed. From this changes two things came up. First was smoke, that was caused by a defected MAF, the old went in and it seems it solved the problem.

The second change is, noise inside the cabin, the car became more noisy especially between 1500 and 2200 (i think) when it pulls its really loud. Now the strange parts. Its not every time, and usually the noise decreases with temperature i guess, after being running for an hour or so the noise seems to reduce.

I have checked the exhaust for leaks, the only i couldn't see very well was the flexible, i could find none. I have checked the fire wall , the seal from the steering wheel, all is fine there. I didn't see nothing against the body so it could cause an eco.

Vida tells my car has 3 codes. Air quality sensor, radio is missing, and cruise control not working...but it does. So none related for the engine to make that sound.

I guess the parts i have changed...could not cause the sound, strangely that it got louder since they were changed.
The car pulls like it never did at higher rpm on cruise its silent unless of course a hard pull is made.

I know i can buy soundproof material and make it better, but i would like to know your opinions about it.

Many Thanks...................once again

look at the cold air pipe that fits on the turbo, (again)it may have a split in it,
remove it to have a good look,
Dave

Anubisxc70 Sep 23rd, 2018 12:33

The sound is normally from 1500 to 2200 even on normal acceleration.

Dave you are talking about the pipe from the one that goes under the car to the turbo?

That was the only one i did not replaced. because i can hardly see where it connects, never mind undo it , mine is an awd. I think they call it the resonator? Mine doesn't have that in plastic is already in rubber....

Thank You.

davebb Sep 23rd, 2018 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2450377)
The sound is normally from 1500 to 2200 even on normal acceleration.

Dave you are talking about the pipe from the one that goes under the car to the turbo?

That was the only one i did not replaced. because i can hardly see where it connects, never mind undo it , mine is an awd. I think they call it the resonator? Mine doesn't have that in plastic is already in rubber....

Thank You.

Hi no I am not, the cold air pipe fits to the turbo inlet,
I think you did change it some months ago, but that does not mean it is OK now,
Dave

Anubisxc70 Sep 23rd, 2018 15:39

So you are talking about the one that goes under the car??