Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59430)

Jpisanutter Dec 20th, 2018 11:45

S40 1.6 petrol 2002

Hi all i have a s40 i got a auto electrian to my can as i changed front lambda sensor as it set my engine management light on bank 1 sensor 1 and the auto elec says its my ecu not sending the signal to the lambda sensor i have looked on ebay etc for a new 1 i got a pic of the numbers for the old 1 what do the numbers mean as im trying to get them as close as possible so i dont need to get it programmed again to my car

Clan Dec 20th, 2018 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpisanutter (Post 2477709)
Hi all i have a s40 i got a auto electrian to my can as i changed front lambda sensor as it set my engine management light on bank 1 sensor 1 and the auto elec says its my ecu not sending the signal to the lambda sensor i have looked on ebay etc for a new 1 i got a pic of the numbers for the old 1 what do the numbers mean as im trying to get them as close as possible so i dont need to get it programmed again to my car

Your auto electrician does not know how it works , The lambda sensor generates a voltage and sends it to the ECU .. What is most likely is the electric heater in the lambda sensor has failed or the fuse for it has blown … that is the first test to do .
If you do need a new sensor get the original volvo one , it is likely in my experience that a non genuine one may not work properly and get the light on again .You get what you pay for … Check the electric heater part of your lambda sensor first ..

Danhumphries Dec 24th, 2018 10:32

A bit of help required?!

Hi All, I have just joined today , so not sure if I'm posting in the correct place. Sorry if wrong.

I have been looking for a while to buy an s40. As it's to wrong time of year now I'll be getting 1 in a month or 2..

I've just seen 1 for sale very cheap. Volvo s40 2.0petrol on an 56plate. It's had loads done to it and the bodywork looks great. But the current owner has said that in recent weeks it's started running on 3 cylinders? He said that 1 of the valves has gone down!!??

The current owner just wants a quick sale, would this be a stupid buy?? Would it be very expensive to fix? Would it be a mojor job for a mechanic?? What would cause a valve or cylinder to go down?

Kindest regards
Dan Humphries.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Parisien Dec 24th, 2018 12:48

Does this issue affect V50s 2004 - 2012?

P

Clan Dec 24th, 2018 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parisien (Post 2478846)
Does this issue affect V50s 2004 - 2012?

P

No problem with those ..

Jody1981 Jan 24th, 2019 23:53

Hi all I have a s40 05 reg 1.8 petrol had it for almost two years whit little or no problems driving home the other day first thing I noticed was the steering got real heavy followed by lots of warning lights on the dash all the dash lights seemed to dim down to darkness so I pulled over and switched the car off tryed to turn it back on and got a clicking noise off the starter so I went and got a booster PAC it got all the lights working again but the immobilizer warning message was on so wouldn't turn over just clicking from the starter then I noticed the cables off the booster PAC on the plus side of the battery got really hot so I took it off also the battery was really warm even after the engine was off for a few hours so I disconnected the battery and left it over night next day I got a new battery put it in and nottng happened when I turned the key had a guy look at it he said the CPU was fried hes prob right idk ane1 else have this issue