Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Xc70 full beam not working (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296640)

Gazdkw Jul 15th, 2019 09:18

Xc70 full beam not working

Iv noticed on my new (to me) car is the full beam doesn't seem to work. Iv tried moving the light controller to all 3 positions and still nothing. I thought maybe lamps had gone but no warning on the dash.

Fuse maybe?

SwissXC90 Jul 15th, 2019 09:35

Likely relays failed in the CEM.

But it would help hugely to know the modelyear of the car (MY)

Gazdkw Jul 15th, 2019 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2536365)
Likely relays failed in the CEM.

But it would help hugely to know the modelyear of the car (MY)

It's a 2008 xc70 se lux

Gazdkw Jul 15th, 2019 17:36

It was fuse :-)

Gazdkw Jul 19th, 2019 19:08

This has blew the fuse again.

It blew after a day or so of replacing it.

Any ideas what it could be? Incorrect lamps?

green van man Jul 20th, 2019 07:54

Unlikely unless they are hid units.
I would check for damaged wiring and if nothing found start looking for components that may cause issues like burned plugs etc.

For a 10A fuse to fail will take a fault current of 20A+ for a period of time, the higher the fault current the shorter the time. Be aware that these fault currents can cause fires, do not just fit bigger fuses.

I had a problem when I replaced the connecting plug to the bulbs on a car, the plugs were after market and unknown quality. They melted, and the light would not work, replaced with Lucas plugs and not had a problem since.

Paul.

Gazdkw Jul 20th, 2019 14:39

I'll check the lamps and then the connectors. I suppose it shouldn't be too much of an issue for me as I'm an electrician. Well I hope anyway 😉

green van man Jul 21st, 2019 08:00

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to sucked eggs. I have found when you do not know the technical background of a member best to assume none when trying to give advise, all too easy to cause confusion and send them in the wrong direction.

Let us know what you find, you have got me thinking now.

Paul.

Gazdkw Jul 21st, 2019 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2538065)
Sorry if I'm teaching granny to sucked eggs. I have found when you do not know the technical background of a member best to assume none when trying to give advise, all too easy to cause confusion and send them in the wrong direction.

Let us know what you find, you have got me thinking now.

Paul.

Not at all. All advice welcome 😊

I'll post shortly with an update.

Gazdkw Jul 23rd, 2019 07:14

Well I'm not sure now.

I replaced the lamps with some other new ones I already had. Had the car running and the full beams in for around 5 mins. No problems. Tried flickering them on and off quickly for a few minutes and no problems. All worked fine.

Pulled up at the car park this morning. Thought I'd just try it once. Instantly heard the fuse go.