Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   c30 basic stereo amplifier location? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299768)

lockstock Oct 21st, 2019 18:16

c30 basic stereo amplifier location?

Hi, ive searched extensively but no difinitive answer.

I want to add an underseat sub. This will run of the rear speaker level signal.

I would like to tap off the amplifer directly if possible.

So, question. Does the basic system (6 speaker) have an external amp, and if so, where is it located? i read it might be behid right rear speaker panel?

Secondly, where can I tap a remote signal wire from so the active under seat sub switches on/off with the stereo HU?

2011/12 C30 r design. UK right hand drive
cheers
Jake

M4ss4 Oct 23rd, 2019 19:44

Hi Jake,

I have also spent time researching this and I have also drawn a blank.

Everything I found pointed to adding a RCA line output converter or similar to allow for the addition of an amp.

I have bought a Vibe version which includes a remote out to trigger the amp power. Unfortunately I had a little mishap when trying to wire it in as I realised that the wiring diagram was incorrect.

I am yet to revisit it but will do so as I really want my amp working..

lockstock Oct 23rd, 2019 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4ss4 (Post 2565414)
Hi Jake,

I have also spent time researching this and I have also drawn a blank.

Everything I found pointed to adding a RCA line output converter or similar to allow for the addition of an amp.

I have bought a Vibe version which includes a remote out to trigger the amp power. Unfortunately I had a little mishap when trying to wire it in as I realised that the wiring diagram was incorrect.

I am yet to revisit it but will do so as I really want my amp working..

So you would run the line out converter off a switched live somewhere in the fusebox and tap a speaker level input from the front speakers? This all becomes a great deal of hassle... :-(. Did you check behind the rear speakerz? Ive read the amp is there but dont want to start taking car apart and find nothing... for a simple active sub I don't need the added benefit of a line level converter really... :-/ if you have any luck post back for sure

M4ss4 Oct 23rd, 2019 20:17

Yes, wire into the radio loom which is pretty accessible. I agree though re effort. Tbh it took me so long to run the 12v from the battery, when i ran into issues when wiring the unit in, I had to call it quits.

You are right re the factory amp if it exists? I am not so certain that the basic set up has an amp at all? Iirc from taking my standard unit out it only had two wire clusters but no cd changer / amp input. My XC60 unit does have this i think, and that is a basic sound system. It does have nav though so could be why?

I will definitely be revisiting the amp over the next few weeks if i get the weather..