Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 Recall (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55869)

magni Mar 18th, 2008 07:49

XC90 Recall

Volvo France are contacting owners of XC90s with 5 cylinder Diesel engines produced in 2007 / 2008, with a recall notice regarding posibility of damage to a flexible hose on the steering assist.

Repair is being carried out at no charge by Volvo. The recall letter is brief and my XC90 is due to go later in the week, so I may be able to find out a little more details.

magni Mar 21st, 2008 20:32

XC90 Recall update

The check takes about 15mins, and involves the repositioning of a flexible pipe on the power steering and the addition of an anti-rubbing plastic coil fitted around the pipe.

Magnimike

Ron_XC90 Apr 10th, 2008 15:09

Not sure if this has been posted before, but there is a very usefull site with recalls for every make and model:
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

Ron_XC90 Aug 16th, 2008 19:17

I only received a letter from garage last week, had the recall caried out few days ago.
Why does it take 5 Mths before we hear anything in UK?

fosh100 Aug 26th, 2008 00:14

dunno but all it is, is a cable tie put on to a power steering hose, takes like 5 seconds to do lol

Rufe Aug 26th, 2008 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_XC90

We are a completly different market, and what happens in one market does not automatically happen in the others.

It would be safe to assume that there have been times where the Uk has had recalls before other regions. I imagine the situation is monitered and assessed in full in the market that first has the issue before it filters to other markets.

tassos May 19th, 2009 15:00

Problems with XC 90 T6 2004

Messrs Volvo Cars,
Athens, May 7th, 2009

I am the owner of a Volvo XC 90 T6, 2.9 which I bought from Sarakakis S.A., the local distributor of Volvo in Greece. The car was a company car for some high executive of the Group and I bought it in Oct. 2006 with 45,000 km.

Ever since I have lost my peace with the problems arising almost every week with the car.

In August 2007 with 54,000 km I had on my holidays a full failure of the automatic transition system. The car had to stay in service for more than three weeks. Eventually the car was given back to me for use late September 2007, with a new nightmare due to the extended leakeage of a pink fluid which has turned my Garage to an oil factory. I have returned the car for more than ten times to the service and I was told that they need to tight up the screws, needless to say that the transmit ion was not performing as before the trouble. Very soon after the fluid leakeage another problem arose with the light which indicates malfunction of the lamda sensors. I was told to wait till they receive instructions from the factory. The car in December had a full service according to the manufacturer’s instructions. None of the above problems was solved, as I had to bear with the problem.

The last weeks the transmition system was chocking and I had to take it back to the service.

The new findings are: The transmition system needs to be replaced and the three lamda sensors as well. The estimated cost close to Euro 10.000. After my objections they proposed to take a cost of Euro 3.500 - 4000. My comments that the replacement transmition system never operated properly, they had no very much to say.

As you can understand I have invested euro 60,000 on a luxurious Volvo car, back in 2006 and ever since I have lost my sleep and my peace, needless to say the cost and the inconvenience, as I am a heavy travelling consultant.

I want to believe that your serious Company with the excellent name and dream car for many people will not disappoint me this time or another time in the future.

I am looking forward to your kind cooperation and assistance.

Sincerely Yours,

Tassos Moumouris

Car Licence Plate: IZI 9559 VOLVO XC 90 T6 2.9

car09 Oct 6th, 2009 17:05

how dangerous is this recall?

car09 Oct 6th, 2009 17:06

xc90 french recall

just got a 2008 xc90 in france How dangerous is this recall for the steering hose?

Coconut Dec 18th, 2009 13:20

Just received my recall notice !

I purchased my 08 plate XC90 earlier this year, and have TODAY - 18/12/09 received a recall notice relating to a further inspection after the original recall work was carried out. The letter states :

Quote:

In March 2008, Volvo Car Corporation launched a recall concerning a problem with one of the power steering hoses on a number of XC90s. There was a risk the hose may have come into contact with the engine-cooling fan. As a consequence, the hose may have become damaged and subsequently leaked, resulting in a loss of power steering assistance.

Your vehicle has been recognised as being involved in this original recall where a modification to the power steering hose was carried out. However, Volvo's quality follow-up procedures have identified that this modification has not been successful on a number of vehicles.

Due to the above, Volvo has investigated this concern and decided to launch this recall to thoroughly inspect the vehicles.

Please contact......... etc.
I haven't had any problems ( that I know of ) and on reflection, despite initially being concerned, I am actually quite pleased as it shows Volvo are on the ball with their quality control and follow up checks after such recalls.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...1/Coconut1.jpg

Clan Dec 18th, 2009 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 (Post 395291)
I only received a letter from garage last week, had the recall caried out few days ago.

This was a two stage recall . the first stage earlier in the year involved adding a cable tie to the hose as a back up in case the standard plastic stay broke and the rubber hose drifted into the fan blades..
This wasnt satisfactory in some cases so now the second stage is to add a proper metal bracket and clamp , as it should have been before it left the factory of course ...

The main problem is that someone ( Ford no doubt) re designed a perfectly good fan in 2007 and left the blades exposed on the engine side , previously they were guarded by a plastic grid ...
If the hose is marked by the blades it will get replaced .

bobdabuilda Dec 19th, 2009 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 600185)
This was a two stage recall . the first stage earlier in the year involved adding a cable tie to the hose as a back up in case the standard plastic stay broke and the rubber hose drifted into the fan blades..
This wasnt satisfactory in some cases so now the second stage is to add a proper metal bracket and clamp , as it should have been before it left the factory of course ...

The main problem is that someone ( Ford no doubt) re designed a perfectly good fan in 2007 and left the blades exposed on the engine side , previously they were guarded by a plastic grid ...

Clan are you a Volvo mechanic/technician?

Ron_XC90 Jan 9th, 2010 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 600185)

Thanks Clan,

I had the 2nd recall carried out earlier this week which did involve fitting a clamp.

martwald Nov 2nd, 2010 16:28

Burst hose - how dangerous - very!!!

The hose burst on my XC90 on Saturday with the family in the car. We never received any notice of a recall. When it burst we were leaving a car park, the steering seized so tight that my wife couldn't turn the wheel to move back into the spot. I managed with huge effort to turn the wheel enough to get back in the spot and let everyone pass. Imagine if this happened on the motorway!!! Why the hell didn't this recall ever reach me???

Clan Nov 2nd, 2010 19:47

when did you last set foot in a volvo dealer ? Its their duty to tell you at any visit .. but assuming you are still the owner registered with volvo they ( Or the dealer ) should have sent you a letter .. this recall has been around in 2 forms for 2 or 3 years now .
actualy if this had happened on the motor way the experience would probably have been less worrying as you can steer relatively easily at speed without assistance .

which hose burst , was it a case of it having rubbed through on the fan blades or some other problem ??

lady driver Dec 4th, 2010 13:43

Whining in full lock-Thanks

I've had my XC90 since 2008 and to date not received one recall notice!
The dealership manage to keep in touch about trading in for a new car,
but not for recalls.
Thanks so much for the web site that lists the recalls.
Tomorrow I take the car in for whining in the steering column at full lock, and now I have all kinds of information to take with me.
I've learned a lot today.

AB-UK Jun 12th, 2011 00:26

Recall: No. 10 of 14 Recall Ref: R/2010/093 Exact Model: XC90 (diesel) Description: FUEL MAY LEAK VIN: 551239 to 553207(XC90), 167002 to 169466(V70), 135123 to 137267(XC60), 134102 to 135119(S80), 000195 to 000435(S60), 094101 to 095193(XC70) Build Date: Numbers: 466 Defect: It has been identified that a number of fuel pressure pipes may have a defect, which could result in a fuel leakage. Although it can be identified by the smell of fuel, it is possible, although unlikely, that an external heat source could ignite the fuel, so resulting in a fire. Action: Recall affected for inspection of fuel pressure line and replacement if required. Launch Date: 13 July 2010

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/re...=E9&lowIndex=9

AB-UK Jun 12th, 2011 00:36

Went into the dealers yesterday (Friday) to book my first service for my new Exec (okay 12 month old Exec). I was told there was a recall on it - something to do with the power steering, requiring removal of the rack.
I had heard nothng of this, but was told that perhaps Volvo hadn't got around to sending letters out yet.

I wonder when the recall was decided?

PS:
Just done some research - May 18 is the date of this recall in the US :-

http://automobilemag.internetautogui...0-recalls.html

The Painter Jun 21st, 2011 21:03

I had a call from my dealer today recalling my 2011 model, it only went for it`s first service a couple of weeks ago.

AB-UK Jun 22nd, 2011 08:04

My car was serviced yesterday, and had the "pipes replaced" which was the reason for the recall apparently.

AB-UK Jun 28th, 2011 16:22

Just received my letter from Volvo about the recall.
Sounds pretty serious, involving the potential complete loss of powered steering.
Good job mine was done last week during the service.

XC90 2010 Jul 25th, 2011 12:28

Only got my recall letter today for the power steering problem.

I suppose it takes a while to get the letters "Down Under"!

Frostie Oct 23rd, 2012 19:47

How do you tell with a second hand car whether they have had the recall's carried out?

Clan Oct 23rd, 2012 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostie (Post 1275913)
How do you tell with a second hand car whether they have had the recall's carried out?

A quick call to your dealer service department, it can be looked up in seconds ...

Frostie Oct 23rd, 2012 21:14

Thanks Clan. Will do that tomorrow.

sballard Jul 11th, 2013 11:57

2004 volvo xc90 just got today

I just bought a 04 volvo xc90 but after reading all this i wish i had not got it. Does anyome know how i would find out if it has any recalls? I can already tell the stearing wheel is very loose. Also either i dont know how to shift it rt using the standard or it just dont shift rt. Pls anyone that knows pls help me im very scared now bc i have 2 kids and disabled so i cant afford to spend any $ fixing a car i just bought. Thanks fo any help.

A lex Jul 20th, 2013 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by sballard (Post 1448865)
I just bought a 04 volvo xc90 but after reading all this i wish i had not got it. Does anyome know how i would find out if it has any recalls? I can already tell the stearing wheel is very loose. Also either i dont know how to shift it rt using the standard or it just dont shift rt. Pls anyone that knows pls help me im very scared now bc i have 2 kids and disabled so i cant afford to spend any $ fixing a car i just bought. Thanks fo any help.

Do you not think thats a slightly melodramatic reaction...... - its a free recall and will cost you nothing if it needs doing.

Pop down to your local dealer and ask them, or call Volvo UK customer services and they will advise you if it needs doing.

Chrisamxc90 Nov 22nd, 2013 18:19

Steering pulses?

Hi there, I have similar trouble to some on this forum re my XC90. I bought a 2004 the steering seems to "pulse" when moving slightly on the move at say 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock as you look at steering wheel, the steering moves from one side to the other, also on a full lock the whole car judders and feels as if it is being pushed rather than driven and coming off motorway or decelerating hard the car wanders... Bit worrying, can anyone help.... Also is it still possible to get these recalls done through dealers I have read about, (VOSA website).

Many thanks in advance Chris and Sam

A lex Nov 25th, 2013 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisamxc90 (Post 1523691)
Hi there, I have similar trouble to some on this forum re my XC90. I bought a 2004 the steering seems to "pulse" when moving slightly on the move at say 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock as you look at steering wheel, the steering moves from one side to the other, also on a full lock the whole car judders and feels as if it is being pushed rather than driven and coming off motorway or decelerating hard the car wanders... Bit worrying, can anyone help.... Also is it still possible to get these recalls done through dealers I have read about, (VOSA website).

Many thanks in advance Chris and Sam

Quote:

Originally Posted by A lex (Post 1453433)

Pop down to your local dealer and ask them, or call Volvo UK customer services and they will advise you if it needs doing.

^^^ Call Volvo UK with your chassis or reg number.

Paulxc90 May 11th, 2014 21:36

purchased a 2008 in <March Do I have anything to worry about

A lex May 15th, 2014 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulxc90 (Post 1644718)
purchased a 2008 in <March Do I have anything to worry about

Quote:

Originally Posted by A lex (Post 1525192)
^^^ Call Volvo UK with your chassis or reg number.

This advice still stands.

Just call Volvo :)

Volvo Ocean Race Sep 7th, 2014 09:28

Welcome to club

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassos (Post 506902)
Messrs Volvo Cars,
Athens, May 7th, 2009

I am the owner of a Volvo XC 90 T6, 2.9 which I bought from Sarakakis S.A., the local distributor of Volvo in Greece. The car was a company car for some high executive of the Group and I bought it in Oct. 2006 with 45,000 km.

Ever since I have lost my peace with the problems arising almost every week with the car.

In August 2007 with 54,000 km I had on my holidays a full failure of the automatic transition system. The car had to stay in service for more than three weeks. Eventually the car was given back to me for use late September 2007, with a new nightmare due to the extended leakeage of a pink fluid which has turned my Garage to an oil factory. I have returned the car for more than ten times to the service and I was told that they need to tight up the screws, needless to say that the transmit ion was not performing as before the trouble. Very soon after the fluid leakeage another problem arose with the light which indicates malfunction of the lamda sensors. I was told to wait till they receive instructions from the factory. The car in December had a full service according to the manufacturer’s instructions. None of the above problems was solved, as I had to bear with the problem.

The last weeks the transmition system was chocking and I had to take it back to the service.

The new findings are: The transmition system needs to be replaced and the three lamda sensors as well. The estimated cost close to Euro 10.000. After my objections they proposed to take a cost of Euro 3.500 - 4000. My comments that the replacement transmition system never operated properly, they had no very much to say.

As you can understand I have invested euro 60,000 on a luxurious Volvo car, back in 2006 and ever since I have lost my sleep and my peace, needless to say the cost and the inconvenience, as I am a heavy travelling consultant.

I want to believe that your serious Company with the excellent name and dream car for many people will not disappoint me this time or another time in the future.

I am looking forward to your kind cooperation and assistance.

Sincerely Yours,

Tassos Moumouris

Car Licence Plate: IZI 9559 VOLVO XC 90 T6 2.9

Hi Tasson
welcome to club - same problems on new 2006 model.

More and more posts like this I saw in last 8 years own a XC90 and Im really sad that Volvo use so many producers and subcontractors with bad quality parts selling to us. So sorry but this is true. No more good reliable Volvo cars.
And how many people never visit forums or place in public this so common problem on Volvo cars. Shame.

I like my car I also invest over 100.000 Euro in 8 years but never again I will purchanse an Volvo. Volvo for life? No !!! for few years and Lexus Forever.
Tassos thanks to place your problem to us. Many friends had a same problem and they ripped tousand Euro out (services, new parts, no guaranty just 2 years in Balkan Volvo dealers ect...) to not mention lost days and weeks on work, holidays, good feelings about one day good name Volvo Sweden...

xc90PL Nov 5th, 2014 16:16

Hi

I have an 58 plate xc90. But I haven't heard anything. Do you think I should contact my dealer?

A lex Nov 6th, 2014 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by xc90PL (Post 1774133)
Hi

I have an 58 plate xc90. But I haven't heard anything. Do you think I should contact my dealer?

No, for the 3rd, 4th, 5th time (I dont know) call Volvo UK customer services with the VIN and reg no.

Its not difficult!

Clan Nov 6th, 2014 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by xc90PL (Post 1774133)
Hi

yes indeed , any volvo dealer will tell you if there are any recalls to do ..

volvo for ever May 3rd, 2015 18:25

as clan says regular visit to deallership they auto matically pick up recalls fro qw90 and attatch to job card its up to owner to take car in for servicing

gb1uk May 31st, 2015 21:36

Ditto to all the above - same problems with mine. Never again will I touch Volvo with a barge pole - too many thousand ponds paid on a brand new car once out of it's warranty period. Still only 50,000 miles and engine in bits again while they try to find the fault this time...P***ssed off doesn't get close. My family car and this has been two months now in the Volvo dealers in Inverness..only 2 courtesy calls in those 2 months to try and update me!!

AB-UK Jul 21st, 2015 18:19

Just had a routine 5-yr service.
Updated the software apparently but couldn't tell me what for or what had been altered - I consider that to be poor.

However, there was a minor recall issue - something to do with the spare wheel winch. Again, not explained!

wrcaston Dec 2nd, 2015 22:40

Sad to hear. I've loved my volvo. Has anyone had their recall and actually needed it doing?

Clan Dec 3rd, 2015 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 1950386)
Just had a routine 5-yr service.
Updated the software apparently but couldn't tell me what for or what had been altered - I consider that to be poor.

However, there was a minor recall issue - something to do with the spare wheel winch. Again, not explained!

They CAN tell you which modules were updated but not the content of the updates ... make a point of asking next time before it is done and the technician will write down the modules from the screen in front of him when he is doing it .