Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   2014 XC60 - EGR & heavy steering. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281246)

14xc60emz Apr 29th, 2018 18:45

2014 XC60 - EGR & heavy steering.

Firstly hello to everyone.

I've just got a couple of issues some of you may be able to help with.

I picked up a 2014 XC60 2.0 D4 fwd geartronic 18" alloys on Friday.

When we got near home the Check emissions light came on. I popped my trusty elm327 on and the code was p04d9. I spoke to the service dept of the trader that I purchased it from and he has confirmed with Volvo that the car has had the egr valve replaced and they now want to replace the cooler as part of an updated fix. Apparently it is a 'known' 'recall'.
All being well the car is going into Volvo in the next couple of weeks to be sorted.
I just wanted to ask whether there is anything else I should be aware of with this issue?

Also since driving a bit more the steering feels heavy. I didn't really think it was an issue on the test drive but it seems to want pull to centre heavily when turning roundabouts and you can generally feel it on normal driving also.
We are upgrading from a MK3 seat Toledo which had very light steering.

The car is an SE LUX NAV and very nice, just unfortunate that the check light didn't come on the test drive.

Thanks in advance

NigelDay Apr 29th, 2018 20:31

Welcome. You could read though this thread. I suggest the first few and the last few, unless you have a lot of time.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

14xc60emz Apr 29th, 2018 20:45

Thanks for the reply.
I'll have a look in a bit.

Considered1 Apr 29th, 2018 22:22

Welcome and good luck with the car, i’d Get it serviced at Volvo for now to ensure all updates etc get applied.

Steering might just take time but check tyres, pressures and if the tyres have some life in them or always when putting on a new set get the car 4 wheel alignment done, worth it terms of cost for not shredding tyres and it should feel bang on. Consensus would be around 36psi for normal driving, up to 39psi for eco but that might make the ride a bit harder but may suit the SE Lux and make it feel a bit lighter.

14xc60emz Apr 29th, 2018 23:49

Thanks for the advice Considered1.

I'll check tyre pressures tomorrow.
And see how the steering goes. It's just feels like I'm putting extra effort into stopping the steering wheel from wanting the car to stay straight, if that makes sense.

I'll look into my nearest Volvo dealer as the work in the EGR will be done at Chester. So it's that or Warrington for service, which isn't ideal. We're not graced with one in Liverpool 😀.

From what I gathered from the very long thread linked above, the full fix for the EGR is valve, cooler and pipes.

Admittedly I've not had time to read right to the end of the threads, so if someone can confirm this I would be grateful.

I see if I can check whether the pipe has already been done tomorrow. I suspect not as the service manager stated that the valve has been recorded as done in Volvo's system.

Thanks so far👍

14xc60emz Apr 30th, 2018 20:12

Hi
Just to update. I've checked the pipe and it's not been changed.
Is this something that I need to insist is done as part of the final fix?

Also I changed the tyre pressures to 39 and it's does feel lighter albeit a little harder ride. But it still does feel like the steering wheel wants to constantly keep going back to centre when going round corners / roundabout, it's like a 'pulsing'. That's the only way I can describe it. Is there some software going on here that is normal for the car?
There is no noise or grinding on full lock so I assume that mechanically it's ok?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Phillg1986 Apr 30th, 2018 23:52

Id say get it aligned... can solve all sorts! Wish my steering was heavy!! Feels to light at speed and moves around a lot

14xc60emz May 2nd, 2018 09:59

Thanks for the advice Phil.
I'll look into that. Hopefully it just needs getting used to but it does feel a bit strange at times.

On the EGR issue I spoke to the original Volvo servicer and the system says that only the cooler has been replaced in Feb 2016 so I'll see what work is proposed this time.

Thanks

volvo for ever May 2nd, 2018 19:18

ecm-p04d900 restricted flow on egr its the cooler heres what should be done new coolant pipes ,100% new 3 way cooler ,then check egr for sticking as checking swirl rod,blow out O2 and exhaust sensor make sure ecm up to date .

if cooler been changed before then hoses should have been done,intake temp sensor parameters should also be checked

regards

14xc60emz May 2nd, 2018 23:39

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo for ever (Post 2399449)
ecm-p04d900 restricted flow on egr its the cooler heres what should be done new coolant pipes ,100% new 3 way cooler ,then check egr for sticking as checking swirl rod,blow out O2 and exhaust sensor make sure ecm up to date .

if cooler been changed before then hoses should have been done,intake temp sensor parameters should also be checked

regards

That's interesting, thanks for that ☺️

Based on other info on the forum I don't think the pipes were done last time, just the cooler no valve.
This is a pic of the pipes on mine

Regards