Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Electric mirror motor required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300451)

kelvinp Nov 10th, 2019 17:21

Electric mirror motor required

Does anyone have any mirror motors? I'm on the lookout for a spare or two. My car lives outside and every so often the driver's mirror gets clattered. I had it hit a while ago and I've run out of broken motors that I can cobble together - the side to side arm adjusting linkage has broken.

I don't need a complete mirror, although if anyone has one - heated and for a 1990 740 then I'd still be interested.

Thanks.

loki_the_glt Nov 10th, 2019 18:04

I'll check tomorrow if I've got one.

The obvious question is: does your mirror have a small slot in its base to permit removal of the glass?

bob12 Nov 10th, 2019 18:48

I would guess that a 1990 740/5 has the 'older' style mirror with the release mechanism (screwdriver up it!!) attack method from underneath.

1) ... it's impossible to buy replacement mirrors heated or non-heated, or anything associated with it unless 2nd hand.

2) .... that also goes for the drive motor which is totally different to the later mirror fitting which I call the 'rip off' style!!

I have motors in a couple of old 'whacked' (not by me!!) shells but, you can't remove them as they are welded to the front plate and, there's no depth to re-secure them even if you were to be able to do so without damage. You also have a problem dealing with the heavy mirror rebound spring etc.

Basically, the only thing you can do easily and cheaply these days is get a stick-on mirror for this style of mirror.

The mirror style and fitting also changed with the introduction of the 940 modified window scraper trim (shortened and ending within the mirror faceplace rather that continuing below it compared with that of a 740 trim). A 940 mirror will fit a 740 if you modify the 740 trim by shortening it a little to let it fit into the 'hole' of the 940 mirror faceplate.

Bob :)

kelvinp Nov 10th, 2019 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob12 (Post 2570748)
I would guess that a 1990 740/5 has the 'older' style mirror with the release mechanism (screwdriver up it!!) attack method from underneath.

1) ... it's impossible to buy replacement mirrors heated or non-heated, or anything associated with it unless 2nd hand.

2) .... that also goes for the drive motor which is totally different to the later mirror fitting which I call the 'rip off' style!!

I have motors in a couple of old 'whacked' (not by me!!) shells but, you can't remove them as they are welded to the front plate and, there's no depth to re-secure them even if you were to be able to do so without damage. You also have a problem dealing with the heavy mirror rebound spring etc.

Basically, the only thing you can do easily and cheaply these days is get a stick-on mirror for this style of mirror.

The mirror style and fitting also changed with the introduction of the 940 modified window scraper trim (shortened and ending within the mirror faceplace rather that continuing below it compared with that of a 740 trim). A 940 mirror will fit a 740 if you modify the 740 trim by shortening it a little to let it fit into the 'hole' of the 940 mirror faceplate.

Bob :)

I have the mirrors which the glass is removed by turning the bezel from underneath but I've got replacement glasses before now, the motors are screwed into the mirror casing though, just need to remove these. I wasn't aware the mirrors were different on later ones until I inadvertently bought one and found it didn't fit - if presuming the seller wasn't aware either as it was listed for all models.

bob12 Nov 11th, 2019 17:53

Thanks Kelvin .... I shall have to do a little digging in my garage to refresh my mind on the motor attachment.

However, if you find someone selling heated mirrors (eBay or the like) with the 'old style' fitment (screwdriver underneath) for a 740/5 at sensible prices please either PM me or post on this thread as I haven't found one for years. I wouldn't be interested in Skandix or Volvo as I hate to think how much they might want!!

Cheers, Bob :)