Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 Failed MOT on Parking Brake (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97484)

paulheywood Jun 7th, 2010 17:28

XC90 Failed MOT on Parking Brake

Hi there,

XC90 has just failed MOT on parking brake efficiency and I'm after some advice really. It's always been a bit rubbish (seems very difficult to press and doesn't really hold) but because it's an auto I could 'Park' it and not worry.

It's a 2003 that I bought off a dealer 6 months ago, I'm pretty sure the Used Warranty doesn't cover it but I rang him anyway, he said he's 99% certain that the lack of use (it's always been like this) causes the friction material on the drum to decay and therefore it's not holding, but because it's 'my problem' if they strip it down (at £80 and hour) and it is that then it's my charge, if it's something else then I guess we'd debate it then.

So have I got any other options ? The MOT garage (non-volvo) said they'd look at it but until they know what it is it's hard to estimate...

I'd like to have an independent garage look over it but I don't think there's a local one around Coventry.

Anyone got any other advice ?

Comments appreciated.

paulheywood Jun 7th, 2010 17:48

According to a fair few posts it sounds like the drums rust and Clan suggests that people should budget "2 rear discs , a set of shoes and 4 shoe retaining springs".

Any idea what that cost is for parts and labour ? ie. How long would that take...

npw Jun 7th, 2010 18:27

I believe this is a known fault and is to do with the adjusting mechanism which fails on earlier cars and has now been modified. Because most cars are auto, and you select park after having engaged the parking brake, the transmission is locked and masks the symptoms. I would go and talk to a franchise dealer before spending any money. My 04 car failed at about the 3 year point and was fitted with the modified assembly. The quote in April o8 was £377 inc parts, labour and VAT, but was done for £210 on a good will basis from the local dealer, Volvo said it was wear and tear and did not want to know! And yes Clan it right, that price included 2 discs, a brake shoe kit and 4 retaining springs. The car only had 29,000 miles.

GJB Jun 7th, 2010 19:09

This is a warning to all auto users who don't use the handbrake just use it or lose it.

Rockhopper Jun 8th, 2010 09:00

Agree - I always tend to put it into N, handbrake on, then release foot brake to let handbrake shoes bite (esp if on a slope), then put in P. They need to be used or they'll just lose friction.

GW55JAN Jun 8th, 2010 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulheywood (Post 683498)
Hi there,

XC90 has just failed MOT on parking brake efficiency and I'm after some advice really. It's always been a bit rubbish (seems very difficult to press and doesn't really hold) but because it's an auto I could 'Park' it and not worry.

It's a 2003 that I bought off a dealer 6 months ago, I'm pretty sure the Used Warranty doesn't cover it but I rang him anyway, he said he's 99% certain that the lack of use (it's always been like this) causes the friction material on the drum to decay and therefore it's not holding, but because it's 'my problem' if they strip it down (at £80 and hour) and it is that then it's my charge, if it's something else then I guess we'd debate it then.

So have I got any other options ? The MOT garage (non-volvo) said they'd look at it but until they know what it is it's hard to estimate...

I'd like to have an independent garage look over it but I don't think there's a local one around Coventry.

Anyone got any other advice ?

Comments appreciated.

cp motors polesworth 40 minutes from Cov

andy_d Jun 8th, 2010 18:48

GRN in smethwick , bham city center n out the other side for 10min

fuzzypicture Jun 8th, 2010 23:02

Points to check.

1 - make sure the updated adjuster has been fitted. Easy to check, pull of the tunnel trim on passenger side, you should be able to locate the cable and a cylinder about 4 inches long. If its a straight cable, it will need replacing with the modified part.

2- you say it is hard to press, with mine it was the front section of the handbrake cable, the inner sleeve had pulled through. Found this out after replacing both rear cables!

3 - as others have said, shoes, discs etc.

If your handy with a spanner, you can replace the whole parking brake system, shoes,discs,rear cables and front cable, its not that difficult.
Volvo recommend a special tool for adjusting the handbrake, you can make your own from a set of long pliers (b&q 7.99) which work just as well.

Joe

bobdabuilda Jun 9th, 2010 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzypicture (Post 684418)
Points to check.

1 - make sure the updated adjuster has been fitted. Easy to check, pull of the tunnel trim on passenger side, you should be able to locate the cable and a cylinder about 4 inches long. If its a straight cable, it will need replacing with the modified part.

2- you say it is hard to press, with mine it was the front section of the handbrake cable, the inner sleeve had pulled through. Found this out after replacing both rear cables!

3 - as others have said, shoes, discs etc.

If your handy with a spanner, you can replace the whole parking brake system, shoes,discs,rear cables and front cable, its not that difficult.
Volvo recommend a special tool for adjusting the handbrake, you can make your own from a set of long pliers (b&q 7.99) which work just as well.

Joe

Any chance of a detailed write up of how to adjust the handbrake? How do you take the tunnel off for access? TIA

fuzzypicture Jun 9th, 2010 10:18

Hi Bob,
I'll try and take some pics tonight, and do a more detailed how-to.

Joe