Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Car bonnet keeps falling in wind!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297701)

haymitch Aug 17th, 2019 16:57

Car bonnet keeps falling in wind!!

I feel embarrassed asking this, but any help would be appreciated :confused:, How do you stop a Volvo 940 car bonnet falling down in the wind? (other than of jamming a long piece of wood / broom handle in the bonnet to stop it falling down). Do people extend the bonnet to be fully open? When the bonnet is fully open does it stay up more easily? Google only provides the answer when a car has struts\:rolleyes:

I've never opened the bonnet vertically because the latches on my bonnet have seized (looks like they've never been used) but I'm planning on freeing them up with some wd40 or equivalent.

J liddy Aug 17th, 2019 18:00

Mine does thw same on windy days hit me on head plenty of times in last 20 years ive had car!,

bob12 Aug 17th, 2019 18:29

Yup ... on a windy day the bonnet acts like a sail whether it's in the normal or upright position.

To open the bonnet fully you do have to lower it slightly so that you can turn the 'lock bars' to free and turn them from their locked position and allow the bonnet to raise to its fullest extent. Once you lower the bonnet the lock bars will return automatically to their normal position.

Bob :)

haymitch Aug 17th, 2019 18:43

Ha! Fair enough, sounds like it is just a fact of life :thinking: I was wondering whether there was some trick I was missing!! In this case I miss my old Ford Fiasco which had a simple stick to keep the bonnet from closing.

Actually, that gave me an idea. I've found this dodgy item which I might give a try:

Sealey VS0140 Telescopic Bonnet/Tailgate Support 1.2mtr

Thanks for explaining the bonnet mechanism bob - I knew there would be something simple trick like that I'd missed :)

bob12 Aug 18th, 2019 19:11

Personally, as ever a frugalist, I use an old broom handle in an appropriate recessed body pressing if the wind is in the wrong direction but, there again, I don't operate when the weather is inclement as I detest the ruddy thing hitting me on the head. Bob :)

haymitch Aug 19th, 2019 12:15

That sounds more sensible - I'm always a sucker for a gadget!

Whenever my Volvo hits me on the head I think it's punishing me because I've not been looking after it enough! :D

Ian21401 Aug 19th, 2019 18:04

Strategically placed broom handle.

I have one that is stored just inside the garage door near my other kit. Had to use it today. Simples.

Dirty Rooster Aug 19th, 2019 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by J liddy (Post 2545605)
Mine does thw same on windy days hit me on head plenty of times in last 20 years ive had car!,

I have also been hit on the head by mine.
Shall we start a club?

Laird Scooby Aug 21st, 2019 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob12 (Post 2545940)
Personally, as ever a frugalist, I use an old broom handle in an appropriate recessed body pressing if the wind is in the wrong direction but, there again, I don't operate when the weather is inclement as I detest the ruddy thing hitting me on the head. Bob :)

That would explain why i haven't been near-decapitated by my bonnet then! :lol:

Had to renew the bonnet struts when i first got mine, mine has a different method to raise it vertical, open to the normal position, flip a little catch on each strut and raise.
Then the catches drop down and latch so the struts can't disappear from whence they came, inside an outer tube.

Also had to renew the tailgate struts when i first got it, the pair of them suddenly failed last night without warning - luckily with the tailgate shut so i'm now using a broom to hold the tailgate open until the new struts arrive soon.

bob12 Aug 21st, 2019 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2546656)

Had to renew the bonnet struts when i first got mine, mine has a different method to raise it vertical, open to the normal position, flip a little catch on each strut and raise.
Then the catches drop down and latch so the struts can't disappear from whence they came, inside an outer tube.

Also had to renew the tailgate struts when i first got it, the pair of them suddenly failed last night without warning - luckily with the tailgate shut so i'm now using a broom to hold the tailgate open until the new struts arrive soon.

That's because you got one of them posh 760's Dave with fancy bits and pieces on it unlike us poor people!! Bob :rolleyes: