Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Events and Meetings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Thoughts on a "Heritage Workshop Day" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286109)

GaryAtCliveBrook Sep 5th, 2018 13:54

Thoughts on a "Heritage Workshop Day"

HI All

My name is Gary, I started my life as a Volvo technician in 1989 and have been with Volvo every since.(apart from 12 month off for good behaviour)

I am the after sales manager at a Volvo dealer in Yorkshire.

Over the last few months we have seen more and more older Volvo's
In some way dues to the fact we still have all the technician binders and special tools plus this old bugger who can remember working on them.

My idea is to have a Volvo heritage workshop possible the 1st Saturday every month.

I thought we would open this up to Volvos over 15 years old??
I was thinking of offering free inspections on our lifts.
Any technical information I can help with FOC.
plus if you need any parts I will order and supply at cost plus 5% and any labour needed at £20 per hour.

this is just the start of an idea.

Can anyone else add to this or give me any ideas of what would make this useful to you all.
What else could myself or our dealership off to help this community and its users ?

Cheers

Gary

Clan Sep 5th, 2018 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryAtCliveBrook (Post 2444815)
HI All

My name is Gary, I started my life as a Volvo technician in 1989 and have been with Volvo every since.(apart from 12 month off for good behaviour)

In some way dues to the fact we still have all the technician binders and special tools plus this old bugger who can remember working on them.

My idea is to have a Volvo heritage workshop possible the 1st Saturday every month.

plus if you need any parts I will order and supply at cost plus 5% and any labour needed at £20 per hour.

Can anyone else add to this or give me any ideas of what would make this useful to you all.
What else could myself or our dealership off to help this community and its users ?

Cheers

Gary

Excellent idea , most of the older volvos are getting neglected and bodged in all areas now due to incompetence and people buying above their means not realising how expensive repairs can be if needed , fortunately repairs are not needed as often as modern ones !… .

Triple-S Sep 5th, 2018 16:25

I second that, although in my case distance is a big problem.
It took me 3 attempts recently to find a competent garage to sort out the fuel injection problems with my Volvo 164E, the first two charging me for their lack of knowledge even though the AA man identified the fault at the roadside in 10 minutes, and both places ignored his findings.
I wonder if other places in the south can perhaps join the trend (and need) of advertising their prowess with older cars (not just Volvo's)?

P

john.wigley Sep 5th, 2018 17:01

I think that is an excellent idea, Gary, and a generous one, too. It will do a good deal to improve the somewhat jaundiced image that some have of dealers today as well.

Well done on the initiative; I would expect there to be considerable interest and a high take-up of your offer.

Regards, John.

360beast Sep 5th, 2018 19:25

Sounds brilliant to me, very far from me but if it goes ahead then I think I would definitely make the trip in my 360 or 940 to sort the air con on both of them.

GaryAtCliveBrook Sep 5th, 2018 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2444875)
I think that is an excellent idea, Gary, and a generous one, too. It will do a good deal to improve the somewhat jaundiced image that some have of dealers today as well.

Well done on the initiative; I would expect there to be considerable interest and a high take-up of your offer.

Regards, John.

Thank you for your replies so far.

If I can get enough interest I can make this happen.

If anyone would be interested and could get to Huddersfield even if just to show your cars and have a coffee please let me know so I can play something.

Cheers

Gary

daboil Sep 5th, 2018 22:08

Experience

I have to say that in my history of dealing with Volvo dealers and technicians I've never been so impressed by somones love and passion for classic Volvo's. His knowledge is outstanding and he is a true Volvo geek! When I heard about this offering I was blown away. Most dealers aren't interested in classic owners but Clive Brook and Gary in particular are different. I have a great deal of respect for them and hope that we can all support their event. I'm certainly going with my 855R and hope to see everyone else too.

GaryAtCliveBrook Sep 6th, 2018 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by daboil (Post 2445013)
I have to say that in my history of dealing with Volvo dealers and technicians I've never been so impressed by somones love and passion for classic Volvo's. His knowledge is outstanding and he is a true Volvo geek! When I heard about this offering I was blown away. Most dealers aren't interested in classic owners but Clive Brook and Gary in particular are different. I have a great deal of respect for them and hope that we can all support their event. I'm certainly going with my 855R and hope to see everyone else too.

Thank you for your kind words

Simmy Sep 6th, 2018 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryAtCliveBrook (Post 2444815)
HI All

Cheers

Gary

lower the age of cars to ten years:rolleyes:

Dead Shed Sep 6th, 2018 20:52

It sounds a great idea, although I'd be *slightly* embarrassed at the state of disrepair mine's currently in! If it goes ahead I'd love to pop by, hey, if you want to trial it next month I'll be there ;)