Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Body Windscreen trim (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296023)

Sahodgson Jun 24th, 2019 20:00

Windscreen trim

Hi

The black plastic strip down the side of the windscreen is not attached properly on the offside top of my car.... I’ve had a look but cannot see how these detach / re-attach.... anyone got a guide on how to or is it a trip to garage?

Cheers,

S.:confused_smile:

tommyweaves Jun 25th, 2019 08:38

Mine are proud by 3-4mm at the top on both sides. You can push them down but they don't stay down. I think they've been like that since I had the windscreen replaced a few years ago. It's irritating but I decided to leave them be for fear of making them worse if I try to mess around with them! I doubt anyone else would notice it to be honest.

tommyweaves Jun 25th, 2019 08:46

If you search online for part number 31214493 and look through pictures of the part it will give you a clue as to how it fixes. I found this:

http://www.spare-parts.dk/produkter/...0-2008-16.aspx

It looks like it might be a slide out job looking from that! (Grab at the top and then slide lengthways up and over the roof?)

alanoconnor Jun 25th, 2019 14:29

My roof trim was doing this after not being glued down correctly by Autoglass when they changed the screen (broke half the trim fixings as well).

I bought some windscreen silicone glue stuff from Halfords - does what it says on the can. Did this last week and it has been fine.

Sahodgson Jun 27th, 2019 11:20

Removed, adjusted clips and refitted easily enough. Discovered crack in top corner of screen where it looks like the windscreen fitter (it's a replacement screen) has tried to force the trim down, chipped edge of glass and small crack from it across corner of screen 🙄... Anyway it's fitted properly now and the crack isn't visible from inside.

tommyweaves Jun 27th, 2019 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahodgson (Post 2531869)
Removed, adjusted clips and refitted easily enough. Discovered crack in top corner of screen where it looks like the windscreen fitter (it's a replacement screen) has tried to force the trim down, chipped edge of glass and small crack from it across corner of screen 🙄... Anyway it's fitted properly now and the crack isn't visible from inside.

What is the removal process?!

Sahodgson Jun 27th, 2019 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyweaves (Post 2531870)
What is the removal process?!

Slide up the A-post about one inch and it lifts off. The trim is two parts pressed together, on mine the plastic wasn't seated properly in the metal rail at the top end, pulled them apart, cleaned and adjusted before putting them back together with a nice tight fit (I crimped each end to be sure)... Now a nice flush fit with no whistling at motorway speed 👍🏻

rogers827 Apr 6th, 2023 20:07

Windscreen External Side Trim Removal / cleaning V70 2010

3 Attachment(s)
I just removed the subject trim on my 2010 V70 as the water was not draining away from the channel at the top of the screen. It had not been off before as far as I could tell an it was stuck fast. I opened the bonnet and removed the offside rubber cover to expose the base of the trim. The cover did not put up much of a fight and to remove its just a matter of pulling up the inboard notched tab near the cover front and rotating it CCW at the rear end where it covers the end of the trim. I could then get a piece of hard wood about 1cm x 1cm x 17cm past the bonnet strut and onto the angled end of the trim. Using a rubber hammer I was able to knock/slide the trim up the slope of the screen about 2cm. This released the trim notches from the 5 mush head tabs/screws that hold it in place on the car.
The channel was clogged at the top but not to bad otherwise. I cleaned the car and the trim and refitted the trim in the reverse order. Then I did the other side. I hope the instructions and the photos help if you need to do the job.

simboc2004 Apr 7th, 2023 13:44

Will have to do that to mine as it has always been a bit proud since having the screen replaced. Thanks for the pics and guidance

Vman01 Apr 30th, 2023 01:17

Thanks for the info rogers.