Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Michelin cross climate - game changer? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=237518)

Stringbag Oct 4th, 2015 11:47

Michelin cross climate - game changer?

At last! An all season that performs as well as a summer tyre. (Those 10m on the motorway are important to me!).
Anyone know when it is likely to hit our shores in the correct size?
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...me-changer.htm
Might be ditching the winters soon! Hurray!

mike95 Oct 4th, 2015 13:52

I contacted Michelin a few weeks back and this was their reply.

"Thank you for your enquiry about the Michelin Cross Climate tyres.

The next phase for 2016 will include Van, 4x4 & 18", we do not have any information on sizes or a release date yet, hopefully these will be out early next year."

So it looks like we will have to wait a while yet.

Hope this helps.

Mike

TimS Nov 20th, 2015 11:39

Sadly, they seem to only be available in V rating for my V70. The OEM tyres are 225 50 R17 98W (conti sport Contact 3E), & Cross Climate appear to be 225 50 R17 V.

My car's never going to reach the 149MPH limit of V rating, however it looks as though it would invalidate insurance to fit V instead of W. Michelin's own site recommends their V rated tyres for my specific car (from its reg number), however I'd assume this recommendation wouldn't hold legal weight.

I appreciate that the rating's about more than speed (load factors etc.) but it's frustrating to have found what appears to be a very good all-season tyre that isn't available for my car.

Lamp Swinger Nov 20th, 2015 11:59

Tim, it maybe worthwhile having a word with your insurance company, explain the situation and impress on them the safety aspects of you proposed tyres. They could put a note on your records to cover it?

David

NigelDay Nov 20th, 2015 12:04

If the car is physically incapable of reaching that speed - and indeed some cars are 'electronically limited' at 130mph - which is also nearly twice the UK legal limit - the whole business of these 'over the top' rating labels does seem to be the stuff of 'regulations' rather than reality.

Bonefishblues Nov 20th, 2015 12:18

Frankly it'd matter not to me these days whether my tyres were limited to 90mph. The days when I used to have the odd squirt up to a billionty-six mph are long gone (and it wasn't even very fast then, tbh).

Yours, sedately etc :)

TimS Nov 21st, 2015 11:06

Phoned my local Volvo dealer today. Service chap says Volvo has no policy on replacing with different speed ratings.

Then phoned my insurer (LV) & they said it's fine: I can replace the W with V tyres, and do not need to notify them. All they care about is the size being as spec. She asked if the new ones would be winter tyres, & I stated they are all-season. I didn't get in in writing, however the calls are recorded, and I was careful to ask the question twice and get a clear answer.

Whether the Cross Climates are actually obtainable at the moment is another matter! I don't relish stumping up for 4 tyres at once (I normally move the rears to the front & put new ones on the rear), but I want the from traction of the Cross Climates, & it's not advisable to leave less grippy ones on the back.

NigelDay Nov 21st, 2015 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS (Post 2014684)
Phoned my local Volvo dealer today. Service chap says Volvo has no policy on replacing with different speed ratings.

Then phoned my insurer (LV) & they said it's fine: I can replace the W with V tyres, and do not need to notify them. All they care about is the size being as spec. She asked if the new ones would be winter tyres, & I stated they are all-season. I didn't get in in writing, however the calls are recorded, and I was careful to ask the question twice and get a clear answer.

Whether the Cross Climates are actually obtainable at the moment is another matter! I don't relish stumping up for 4 tyres at once (I normally move the rears to the front & put new ones on the rear), but I want the from traction of the Cross Climates, & it's not advisable to leave less grippy ones on the back.

I had my first snow drive in the new Nokian Weatherproof this morning. They seem very effective, certainly no less than previous 'true' winters tyres on my old V50 (Goodyear Ultragrip 7). Might be worth a look if the Michelins are unavailable.

norco Nov 21st, 2015 18:19

I have put 2 cross climate on the rear of my other car and have primacy 3 on the front. I'll put cross climate on there when they wear out. Was tempted to stick em on the front for snow traction but common sense prevailed despite my local place being ok with it. Haven't noticed anything good or bad with the cross climate so far. Impressed with the primacy 3 on the front though very sure footed after some khumohs. Still waiting to snow test the Goodyear 4S on xc after 15 months.....

Stringbag Dec 15th, 2015 21:52

First proper review I've seen
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm