Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   140/164 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   144 (Jane) off to the restorer's on Monday for surgery! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91629)

john h May 16th, 2010 11:18

How's the work going?

Any more photos?

John

80sRich May 21st, 2010 21:21

7 Attachment(s)
Well I went up to see them today and they informed me that all the welding would be done by 5.30pm when they were leaving for the day.

Now seeing as there were a few bits here and there to do I am not so sure. Anyway either way it will be in the spray booth the early part of next week! So should be able to have it after the bank holiday! Double thumbs up! I cannot wait!

Although then we will have to work out how to attached all the sound insulation which we have bought!

Most of the pics should be self explanatory.
Just incase..
1) Inside wing on Drivers side patched
2) Bottom corner of Drivers door
3) Repair of rear door on Driver side
4) Repair patch on inner wheel arch
5) NS Sill being done
6) NS Rear Wheel arch repair
7) OS Rear Wheel arch repair with a skin of filler over it.

Enjoy

80sRich Jun 10th, 2010 14:08

6 Attachment(s)
Went up t the restorers today and took a few more photographs. All looking quite good. Though I suspect it is still at least a fortnight off.
He is still swamped with VW camper vans! Must have been abut 6 of them there at least.
Anyway hope you enjoy the photographs.

Jaymz Jun 10th, 2010 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80sRich (Post 685274)
He is still swamped with VW camper vans! Must have been abut 6 of them there at least.

Now that's a whole lot of welding right there!!!!!

She's looking good, and the longer she takes the better the weather will be when you get to take that first pleasure cruise!

john h Jun 10th, 2010 17:37

Coming on well

John

80sRich Oct 2nd, 2010 00:14

Ok so finally some great news. The restorers informed my father today that it will be entering the paint shop next week and the body should be red again by Friday!
It's taken ages I know, but I hope it will be worth it! I will try and get some pictures up here next week!
Because it has taken so long they are going to put her through her MOT for free.

gillberry Oct 2nd, 2010 11:29

That is good news , the paint means she is on the final stretch .

marcmarel Oct 2nd, 2010 16:32

Before you get into this car make sure to cover all the welding on the back side with zinc paint, rust-proofing primer, tar, wax or all of the above. I've encountered plenty of this 'professional' tack welding style on cars I restored and it usually is rusted inside and out, with the filler cracking and/or falling off.
Also re-instate the original drainage holes under the door sills (and other places) as these are frequently deleted.

john h Oct 3rd, 2010 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcmarel (Post 751265)
Before you get into this car make sure to cover all the welding on the back side with zinc paint, rust-proofing primer, tar, wax or all of the above. I've encountered plenty of this 'professional' tack welding style on cars I restored and it usually is rusted inside and out, with the filler cracking and/or falling off.
Also re-instate the original drainage holes under the door sills (and other places) as these are frequently deleted.

Good advice. Take a weekend to do all this very thoroughly and carefully. It will make the car last 10 times as long!

J

940_Turbo Oct 3rd, 2010 20:51

Before it goes off to the paint shop I'd have a serious look at the wheel arch repair. I know that isn't what you want to hear but it isn't pretty.

I suspect the repair has been tack welded over the top of the original wing. When you weld it in removing the rust you'd trim the repair panel right back, cut out the rust and weld the two together. If you have a load of double skin it'll go rusty again.