Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12> Articles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Volvo V40 help & advice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308278)

Minden69 Jul 26th, 2020 09:56

Volvo V40 help & advice

Hi all new to the forum looking for some help and advice please.
So possibly looking at buying a V40 maybe around 2013 - 2015 wondering if you can help with models seen models that say D2 D3 D4 what is the difference please. I’d like a model with a decent extras pack on it sat nav cruise Bluetooth etc stop start as that for me is useful at times and maybe one with a bit of guts to it not to sluggish.
Any help and advice much appreciated
Cheers Lee

steV50 Jul 26th, 2020 12:51

The engine numbering refers to the power output, with the D2 being the lowest powered and the D4 being the highest powered.

The D2 up to 2015 model year is a 1.6L Ford/PSA engine and from 2016 model year the D2 is a 2.0L Volvo built engine.

The D3 and D4 are both 2.0L Volvo built engines. The D4 up to 2014 model year and the D3 up to 2015 model year are five cylinder engines and the later versions are 4 cylinder engines. I would consider a 5 cylinder D3 in a 2013 to 2015 car, the 150 bhp engine will be powerful enough and should be reliable.

You want the Nav version for sat nav. All versions have stop/start and all but the base model have cruise control. The SE Lux will be the best spec.

Hope this helps.

Minden69 Jul 26th, 2020 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by steV50 (Post 2650496)
The engine numbering refers to the power output, with the D2 being the lowest powered and the D4 being the highest powered.

The D2 up to 2015 model year is a 1.6L Ford/PSA engine and from 2016 model year the D2 is a 2.0L Volvo built engine.

The D3 and D4 are both 2.0L Volvo built engines. The D4 up to 2014 model year and the D3 up to 2015 model year are five cylinder engines and the later versions are 4 cylinder engines. I would consider a 5 cylinder D3 in a 2013 to 2015 car, the 150 bhp engine will be powerful enough and should be reliable.

You want the Nav version for sat nav. All versions have stop/start and all but the base model have cruise control. The SE Lux will be the best spec.

Hope this helps.

Brilliant an excellent reply very helpful would you also happen to know of any known issues or common faults with the v40 that I should be aware of and need to look out for thanks again

steV50 Jul 26th, 2020 17:18

This thread may help:-

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302754

ivezie Mar 28th, 2021 20:47

Sat nav map not loading

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help please.

On my V40 63 plate, the sat nap map will not show up - all the infotainment is working - for example Radio, Media and the menus and settings. But when i go to maps the screen is blank but still shows the compass and will still navigate as if it was working but just nothing showing - for example - the screen will split as if you are coming up to a junction or roundabout and the only info this shows is on the left hand side it'll show you that you are at your destination.

when entering an address it'll state how far and how long it will take and the DAB radio works.

I hope i've explained this ok.

Could this be something like the battery has been disconnected at some point and it needs rebooting?

thanks in advance

DLM48 Mar 28th, 2021 21:46

go for the 4 cyl D4 and as new as you can afford the 4 cyl D4 in a V40is SO EAGER and economical too with ZERO Road Tax.....I am trying to sell my V70R AWD which is a beast but that V40 4Cyl D4 is awesome it just wants to GO

anotheruser Apr 4th, 2021 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivezie (Post 2723259)
On my V40 63 plate, the sat nap map will not show up

Probably better to have started this in it's own thread as the title of this one is nothing to do with your query.
Especially dragging up a year old thread :P

However, best to re-download / update the maps from here:

Make sure your USB is FAT / FAT32 and plug it in before starting the car.
It should then automatically start updating the maps to the latest version.

If it says your maps are the latest, post in a new thread.

If it says "updating", leave it to do it's thing - just leave the stick in and each time you start the car, it'll carry on from where it left off. Mine usually take around 40 - 60 mins.

Post back the results (success / no success)

Volvov402013 Apr 7th, 2021 22:20

Brand new Volvo v40 D2 2013 owner

Hello everyone.

I don’t know if I am using this correct as I am not just a newbie to Volvos. But a newbie to forums in general.

I would like some help if it’s not to trouble:

I have just bought a Volvo v40 D2 se 2013.

I am looking online and I can see that it should have satellite navigation. But there is no print on the button where it is suppose to be, the button clicks but nothing.

Further more there is no camera on the screen When it reverses and no beeping noise when reversing.

Could someone please help with this. Am I right in thinking that this should be fitted as standard? Is there something I need to do?

Zebster Apr 7th, 2021 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvov402013 (Post 2726711)
Hello everyone.

I don’t know if I am using this correct as I am not just a newbie to Volvos. But a newbie to forums in general.

I would like some help if it’s not to trouble:

I have just bought a Volvo v40 D2 se 2013.

I am looking online and I can see that it should have satellite navigation. But there is no print on the button where it is suppose to be, the button clicks but nothing.

Further more there is no camera on the screen When it reverses and no beeping noise when reversing.

Could someone please help with this. Am I right in thinking that this should be fitted as standard? Is there something I need to do?

Not all Volvo models of that era have sat nav, reversing camera and/or parking sensors. My slightly newer V60 doesn't have a reversing camera, however it does have a Sat Nav and parking sensors... but mine is a 'Lux Nav' model, meaning it has a few more of the available options plus the sat nav. Your model description suggests that you have a lower spec model without sat nav.

Was it advertised as having these features?

Volvov402013 Apr 7th, 2021 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2726719)
Not all Volvo models have sat nav, reversing camera and/or parking sensors. My slightly newer V60 doesn't have a reversing camera, however it does have a Sat Nav and parking sensors... but mine is a 'Lux Nav' model, meaning it has a few more of the available options plus the sat nav. Your model description suggests that you have a lower spec model without sat nav.

Was it advertised as having these features?

Hi thanks for getting in touch. No it wasn’t advertised as this just an se. I assumed that the se model had these features and the ce did not.

I just find it crazy for a car that has all these safety features it does not let you know if you are going to hit the car or thing behind you when you are reversing.

Furthermore. I don’t understand why the middle dash has buttons that you can press in. But have no icon or functions when you press them. Is this normal?

Again thankyou