Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Sensus map updates (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266512)

molsal Apr 14th, 2017 23:42

Sensus map updates

Could someone please shed light on how often map updates are made available for the sensus satnav in a 2016 xc60 nav lux please.

NigelDay Apr 15th, 2017 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by molsal (Post 2262377)
Could someone please shed light on how often map updates are made available for the sensus satnav in a 2016 xc60 nav lux please.

Twice a year, usually May and November. Don't expect them to be totally up-to-date however. Garmin (which uses the same HERE mapping source data) update up to four times a year, and even when the updates coincide, Sensus is still behind. I know this from the many junction changes which are currently taking place on the A1 and a new road near Lancaster.

wimorrison Apr 15th, 2017 11:05

Also be aware that the last update significantly reduced the amount of detail that is displayed at and above 0.5ml zoom - all you now get is A roads around my way which means the screen is blank 90% of the time

NigelDay Apr 15th, 2017 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 2262485)
Also be aware that the last update significantly reduced the amount of detail that is displayed at and above 0.5ml zoom - all you now get is A roads around my way which means the screen is blank 90% of the time

I actually did a roll-back to both the May 2016 and the November 2015 'update' and nothing seems to have changed since then. Perhaps before 11/15 it showed more detail. I agree it is not a good display at 0.5 and above. I tend to show 0.2 when driving rural, and 2 miles when on motorways. I remain continually amazed how Sensus and Garmin can differ in route planning, neither being regularly better then the other. Also notifications of road closures can be out of date on both systems. Driving down to Plymouth for Easter both systems told me the A38 was closed on Thursday evening. It wasn't. The road cones were there but clearly the (evening) closure was not planned that evening. So, whilst we might sometime blame our sat navs, there is some evidence they are being streamed with the wrong data.
What do they say ? Garbage in, garbage out.

wimorrison Apr 15th, 2017 14:06

1 Attachment(s)
This is typical what I see :(

The problem is that when you zoom in to 0.2 then you lose all relationship to what is around :(

molsal Apr 15th, 2017 23:53

Tkank you, I did the November update, I live near Leyburn so suffer the same A1 changes as you do. I also have a Garmin which is wel in front of sensus in our area.I think both are pretty useless in rural locations withregards to route planning, my wifes tomtom knocks the socks off both systems with regards to route selection and particularly traffic and ETA.

John35 Dec 13th, 2023 17:10

SatNav Map Updates

I am trying to update the mapping on my 2013 V40 SE Lux Nav. I have followed the online instructions and successfully downloaded the maps to an empty USB stick. When plugging in the USB stick into the car, it's recognised and the maps are there to download. Estimated time 2hrs 45min. On clicking ok a message appears to enter a 'licence code'. No one seems to know what this is. I've asked Volvo UK and they say the dealer has it. My Volvo dealer doesn't know what it is and feels it maybe related to the old cd disc updates or a software update. Has anyone on the forum had the same problem and knows what this code is?

ele288 Dec 13th, 2023 20:29

To enable map updates via USB you need software update to infotainment done by the dealer, around £60 or independent with vida online