Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2006 V70 d5 automatic, wont start - fuel related. :Help:! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291689)

Streetluc13 Feb 11th, 2019 11:09

2006 V70 d5 automatic, wont start - fuel related. :Help:!

Hi all,

New to the forum, it’s been invaluable over the years.

I have a 2006 V70 d5 2.4 with automatic transmission and 94k miles on the clock. Purchased yesterday privately and when I tried to start it it was a little hesitant but started within 3 seconds. I then did a 200 mile trip and it was near faultless. I stopped the car and started it again about 30 seconds later and again it was a little sluggish but started.

Came to the car this morning and it wouldn’t start at all, keeps cranking but nothing. I called the AA and he came out and is getting a load of fault codes which are all fuel system related. After 30 minutes of trying he had no success and I’ve now been towed to a garage. He tried easy start and that helped but still wouldn’t hold the start. Battery is fine as well and there is half a tank of fuel in there.

So;

Any ideas on where to start? He said glow plug light goes out too quickly.

Also the’ soot filter is full’ light is now on but we have been cranking for 30 mins.

Any help would be appreciated!

Lucas

reggit Feb 11th, 2019 19:45

What’s the fuel gauge (not range) showing? Anywhere under 1/4 tank could point to fuel pump or filter.

camturbo Feb 11th, 2019 19:56

As above when was the fuel filter last changed? Mine was filthy

Yosser Feb 11th, 2019 21:18

Put fuel in it, and make sure its not on a slope.

The first response was probably right - filter and / or low pressure pump.

Streetluc13 Feb 12th, 2019 07:43

It has half a tank in it, the AA guy jacked it up to put it on a slope but no change. It was sluggish starting the night before but would start but now absolutely nothing, just cranks but nothing. Can a dirty fuel filter do this?

reggit Feb 12th, 2019 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streetluc13 (Post 2494830)
It has half a tank in it, the AA guy jacked it up to put it on a slope but no change. It was sluggish starting the night before but would start but now absolutely nothing, just cranks but nothing. Can a dirty fuel filter do this?

A clogged filter can, as it restricts the fuel supply.

Did the AA man give you the actual codes he read?

Streetluc13 Feb 12th, 2019 15:35

Hi all,

Just heard back from the garage this second and he says that it’s likely that it’s the electric fuel pump in the tank. Has anyone had an issue with one of these and can advise costs? I’ve asked him to price it but to gauge it would be handy to hear from one of you guys.

Regards, Lucas

cheshired5 Feb 12th, 2019 15:39

If it's the pump, it's probably a £300 job at a garage but they should be able to flow test it to confirm rather than them guessing.
The in tank pump isn't a common failure whereas a dirty filter definitely is.
Not as much money in it for a garage though.....

Yosser Feb 12th, 2019 17:29

It's easy to work out if the in tank pump is working or not - it makes a noise or remove a fitting to see if it flows - so "it's likely" doesn't sound firm enough to me.

Even if it is the pump the car will still start and run - if there's fuel in the right hand saddle of the tank. Stick a gallon in it and keep cranking.

reggit Feb 12th, 2019 17:38

Take the filter off, you’ll want to change it anyway, and with a suitable container underneath turn the ignition on and see if you have a flow of diesel.

When I did mine, the pump was around £250 brand new, it’s a reasonably easy (but very smelly) DIY job.