Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   V40 rear bumper removal (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253660)

tomweston Jul 23rd, 2016 21:34

V40 rear bumper removal

My first post in this forum.
I have a V40 D2, hidden exhaust, 2013 model.
Today I tried to remove the rear bumper to fit a Witter tow bar.
I removed all the screws but was unable to pull the bumper off, does anybody have any advice or link to a video?
I have viewed the Volvo removal instructions but still could not remove it.
Ended up putting all the fixings back.

Tom

volvo for ever Aug 14th, 2016 15:47

hi tom extremeley easy but there are 2x awkwards screws which are hideen .

open boot remove bump stops ,then remove screws at wheel arches now there are 2 hidden screws where the bumper touches wheel arch if you get good bright torch and look under neath plastic youll see what i mean 1 on each side once screws remove carefully pull off cover all in 10 minute job so easy

tomweston Dec 7th, 2016 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo for ever (Post 2154516)
hi tom extremeley easy but there are 2x awkwards screws which are hideen .

open boot remove bump stops ,then remove screws at wheel arches now there are 2 hidden screws where the bumper touches wheel arch if you get good bright torch and look under neath plastic youll see what i mean 1 on each side once screws remove carefully pull off cover all in 10 minute job so easy

Thank you, I managed it once I figured out which part of the side to pull on. It is very easy once you know how.

OldEngineer May 30th, 2020 15:21

1 Attachment(s)
Most guidance I saw on removing the bumper said it was easy. And while that is right nothing stated exactly how. So here goes.
The main attachment type is a plastic Tang that clips inside a rectangular Slot. There are three each side (shown by green spots) on the angled divide between bumper and metal wing. There is one on the horizontal surface under the side of tail light. Then three more under the tail light at its rear face.
1) Remove 5 screws (T25) each side in the wheel arches
2) Remove 2 screws (T25) from underneath on the skid plate.
3) Open the tailgate and remove the two locating pegs in the bottom corners. These turn out to be a bayonet fitting and can be easily removed by hand by turning them anti clockwise through 30 degrees
4) Now grab hold of the bumper at the side above the wheel (the red arrow) and pull outwards to unclip the first tang. Do this both sides.
5) Now work your way up to the light to unclip the first three.
6) Now get a finger under the new gap by the light and ping the one on this face under the light.
7) Now there will be a gap to allow you to ease of the last three at the rear of the light.
8) Probably need an assistant at this point (I didn't) because you will need to slide the bumper out while unclipping the wiring plug on the right hand side.