Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C30 Engine : Help please, my Volvo c30 d3 won't start (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289693)

simonsen Dec 15th, 2018 10:50

Help please, my Volvo c30 d3 won't start

So I have yet another Volvo c30 d3 lovely car but it developed a fault it won't start. Turns over fine, fuel pumps work fine with correct pressure on common rail ,cranking speed ok, glow plugs ok, battery ok, starter motor ok, no faults on Vida yet it simply won't start. Any help appreciated

Yobbo Dec 15th, 2018 11:16

Absolutely bizarre, for all the things you've checked and VIDA reporting back the car would surely start!
There is one possibility though that it's not getting any air but I really don't believe it. Worth a check though -
Inspect the throttle body isn't sticking due to carbon build up, whip off the airbox, then remove the return intercooler hose and have a butchers in there with a torch.
Worth putting the battery on charge for a bit unless you're 101% on it being good, just with the weather and using VIDA which is known to rinse batteries it could well be the root cause.

Bungo Dec 15th, 2018 11:34

As said check for air bubbles in fuel pipe.
If not showing anything on Vida it's likely to be something mechanical than electrical.
Only other suggestion is immobiliser issue.

simonsen Dec 15th, 2018 12:31

Thanks guys I'll check throttle body. I think it could be something wrong with immo as when checked it says something along the lines - cem not ok and not default pin code.
It simply sounds like ecu is not allowing engine strat

Yobbo Dec 15th, 2018 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungo (Post 2476092)
As said check for air bubbles in fuel pipe.
If not showing anything on Vida it's likely to be something mechanical than electrical.
Only other suggestion is immobiliser issue.

D3 has a different fuel pump set up to the 2.0D so you won't see any bubbles.

Phaeton Dec 15th, 2018 14:34

Get a can of easi start & spray into the inlet whilst somebody is cranking the engine, if it tries to fire then good, if not I'd look to see if the cambelt has either snapped or is not rotating Sorry

simonsen Dec 15th, 2018 14:45

We checked cam belt first and it's all good too.

Phaeton Dec 15th, 2018 14:49

But does it actually turn the cam? I had a Citroen C2 that stripped the teeth off the cambelt at the bottom, so the crank was turning but the cam wasn't

Yobbo Dec 16th, 2018 11:33

CEM you say?

Well known for their electrical gremlins...
Under the glove box it lives, I would suggest unclipping it then detaching the connectors and look for corrosion on the pins, give all the contacts a dose of some contact spray and if you're feeling adventurous do the fuses too.

I usually keep a couple of silica bags on the base/top of the casing to catch any moisture in the area.

Hope you get sorted!
Dave

simonsen Dec 16th, 2018 11:41

Today I cleaned cem it wasn't wet or corroded so at this point I am running out of options