Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : V50 stop start advice needed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=245418)

Legacy7770 Feb 24th, 2016 20:06

V50 stop start advice needed

Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice on troubleshooting the stop start system on my lovely v50.
Can anyone give me some information on what to check ??
I've already replaced the battery with the correct type as the old one started the car fine but the cold cranking amps were low.
Disconnected the positive battery terminal to reset the system.
I'm hoping someone can point me in right direction as to testing relays etc.
This is my first car with the stop start system and I'm keen to get it working
Thanks Steve

tomweston Feb 25th, 2016 15:57

There any many reasons why the stop start will not work during cold weather if the temperature is too low assuming you are in the UK. 1.6D Drive, 2010 model.

Mine did not work at all on the way to work this morning because the outside temperature was -1 C.
If the engine is cold and the weather cold then it will not work either.
Have you checked the auxiliary battery voltage as well?

Is the air-con on? the Stop/Start should not work if it is.

I think it will not work if the battery is too hot, not an issue in the UK I think.

Is the new battery fully charged? Is it a Volvo battery or an alternative one?

The Stop/Start will not work if the car is trying to regenerate the DPF.

On the way home this evening, outside temperature 3C, engine cold, StopStart not working. 5 miles further on, engine nearly warm StopStart working.

MacV50 Feb 25th, 2016 21:17

Mine is a 2012. Stop/start seems to work in strange ways

- Doesn't work below 0C. That seems to make sense
- above 0C, mine will shut off the engine within half a mile of a cold start. This really doesn't seem good for the engine
- will work when the aircon is on but if it's a really hot day and the aircon is having to work hard, it may start the engine again before you move off
- occasionally just doesn't work so can only assume there a DPF regen on the go

daveysmith Mar 2nd, 2016 18:04

V50 DrivE 1.6D 2012 Volvo Selekt Won't Stop/Start

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacV50 (Post 2067208)
Mine is a 2012. Stop/start seems to work in strange ways

- Doesn't work below 0C. That seems to make sense
- above 0C, mine will shut off the engine within half a mile of a cold start. This really doesn't seem good for the engine
- will work when the aircon is on but if it's a really hot day and the aircon is having to work hard, it may start the engine again before you move off
- occasionally just doesn't work so can only assume there a DPF regen on the go

Hi

I have read the items regarding Stop/ Start won't work and I wonder whether anyone has any advice for how to deal with the following issue.

I read about the various conditions under which the Stop/Start is inhibited, so
Too cold, Too hot, battery condition etc etc.

My Volvo Selekt dealership has had my V50 car for two weeks now in an attempt to get the Stop/Start working. It is the second time the car has gone back for this problem - the first time (2 days) they charged the battery and said they adjusted the system and test drove it and it worked OK. I picked it up the next day and it did not work at all on my 27 mile journey home and has not worked since (or ever in my ownership).

On its latest visit to the dealership (2 weeks and counting now) their best advice is that the car has had (software?) upgrades and now needs at least eight long journeys with at least 4 hours rest between each one to condition the system to work again.

Sorry, but this sound like utter rubbish to me. I was offered the choice of doing this myself or leaving the car with them. I said they should fix it, in the meantime I have their courtesy car...

Bewildered

Dave

tomweston Mar 4th, 2016 19:05

Dave
Sounds like a battery problem to me. Has the battery been replaced or is it the original one?
My Stop / Start would not work when I bought my used S40 1.6D. I took the plunge and fitted a new, correctly sized, battery and the all worked as expected. I tried ,any things before replacing the battery, nothing resolved the failure, the original battery was 4 years old. Be careful if you charge the battery in the car, connect +'ve to battery terminal and -'ve to the car body.

There are two batteries on the car, main under the bonnet and a small auxiliary battery behind the front bumper on the UK passenger side.

Tom

Clan Mar 4th, 2016 23:14

The main battery will need charging for a long time , 24 hours or twice that if you have a small charger , then disconnect it for 5 mins and try it after re connecting .

volvo for ever Mar 5th, 2016 06:09

on ocassions ive had this and you need to reset the bms ,,via vida ,
cem/advanced/ stop start/bms reset ....good luck..

regards

Clan Mar 5th, 2016 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo for ever (Post 2072036)
on ocassions ive had this and you need to reset the bms ,,via vida ,
cem/advanced/ stop start/bms reset ....good luck..

regards

It is much easier to just take off a battery terminal for 5 mins this will do the same job ..
Regarding resetting the Battery monitor . As we know , stop start only works when the battery is 80% charged or more .. The battery monitor knows the state of charge so it may be say 70 % so it doesn't work , resetting it will put a false value of 80% into the battery monitor so stop start will work , but if the battery is only 70% then the monitor will soon pick this up and adapt itself and turn off the stop start again until the battery is 80% charged then start working .
SO the best answer is to charge the battery for as long as possible it can take 2 days on a small home charger .

volvo for ever Mar 5th, 2016 19:40

clan are you going to daventry on 14th and 15th march ??????

Rooster Mar 5th, 2016 20:51

I'm going