Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Insurance renewal anomolies..... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312028)

Adrian888 Nov 24th, 2020 19:37

Insurance renewal anomolies.....

The insurance for Both cars in our household is due next month, mine on 22nd and my wifes on 5th. When i sorted out my wifes insurance a couple of weeks ago i had a look at quotes for me to get an idea of possible renewal costs. I could only go upto 6th December for the renewal date and premium came in at £411. Today i did a search on a couple of websites and setting the date at 22nd the renewal jumps to £468!! £57 increase, Bizarre or what?! It will be cheaper to renew from 6th....

Whyman Nov 24th, 2020 20:15

If you listen to Martin Lewis he has some sort of algorithm that suggest that the best time to get a renewal quote from Compare the Market or other comparison sites is 21 days prior to tour renewal date.

Adrian888 Nov 24th, 2020 20:50

I have seen that and it also states renewal premiums get higher nearer christmas.... i call it sharp practice.

4x4 Nov 24th, 2020 21:10

I've been with the same insurance comany for the past 10 years. My renewal came in a few weeks ago for the due date of 17th Nov and I was pleasantly surprised it was down £4 from last year. I decided to try the comparison sites and ended saving another £50 so now my premium for the XC90 is £176...and a few pence

Montana Nov 24th, 2020 22:06

It’s renewal time for me in January. Been playing around on comparison sites and I am disappointed to see the insurance on volvos in general is high (ok we are only talking £360 ish per year). I can insure a 6 series V8 BMW for the same price as my D5 , and a selection of different hot hatches for a much lower amount.

Bigfella666 Nov 24th, 2020 22:30

Insurance prices for cars have never made any sense, never will

One of my R’s with 80% business miles and about to renew, V high loaded postcode comes in at £257 with Esure via gocompare - happy days. And when one of their drivers hit me up the backside a few years ago they were a delight to deal with - even happier days

Just always bear in mind with no claims of any kind the premium could be double next year - just the way it is !

Tannaton Nov 24th, 2020 22:54

My multicar renewal with Aviva is due shortly.... there's just a XC60 & Ford Ranger on it now (had 5 cars at one point).

I just know it will come in £200 more than last year, they'll knock £40 off when I complain, and then when I call to stop the auto renewal they'll suddenly find there was a computer error and they'll match last years premium.

Has rolled like that the past 3 years.

Before that was with Tesco, renewal came in +£160 YOY, renewed for £200 less on price comparison site.... with Tesco....

green van man Nov 25th, 2020 06:05

But then Go Compare has been fined 17 million for artificially inflating prices with exclusive deals with insurance companies.

Insurance is and always has been legalised theft. We have to have it so are a captive market the companies take full advantage of, all of them.

Paul.

Bigfella666 Nov 25th, 2020 08:52

Your posts chaps are of course both absolutely correct and remind me of earlier this year ;

RAC refused to re-insure me on Saffy for the price of the identical policy advertised on MS - I jest not and yes I did tell them where to poke it !!

Boatie Nov 25th, 2020 10:08

When I changed my V90 for a V90 R Design on the 1st March this year the insurance went up---Fair enough. At the time I was told that on renewal (1st May) it would be £551. Come late April and I was renewing the price had gone up to £650. No changes and all information etc from the insurance company.

2 days ago the windscreen cracked for no apparent reason. It's booked in for a replacement next Monday. (heated screen, Volvo supplied). £95 excess as per policy. I have little doubt that on renewal my policy will be loaded as having a screen go will make me a greater 'risk'.