Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 D3 2010 DPF Error (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289809)

OlsBean Dec 18th, 2018 20:15

S40 D3 2010 DPF Error

Hello all, this is my first post and any advice would be very much appreciated.

We've just purchased an S40 D3 2010 but I believe 2011 model if that matters. We noticed that the day after purchase we were getting the Engine System Service Required message and after much Googling discovered that it may be down to much engine oil. The garage had indeed just serviced the vehicle and had put 6L of oil in it, I believe the correct amount is listed as 5.9L but the new advisory level is in fact 5.6L. So to cut a long story short they took out 300-400mls and after a day the electronic dipstick updated itself to reflect this new level.

But we still have the error message when we start car which has had me Googling and now I am worried that there might be something wrong with the DPF filter? The error code is 019. Does anyone know if this car requires DPF additive or is it a Dry DPF? I've researched it but can only find information on the D5 and not the D3. I have about 5 weeks warranty left on the car (just a small local garage) so I am keen to resolve anything that might need doing before that runs out.

Anyway, thank you in advance of any help or advice offered.

phil1968 Dec 18th, 2018 20:42

It does take a couple of heat cycles before the fault message clears, after a couple of days normal driving it should go, it did on my D5 after having to adjust the oil level.

OlsBean Dec 18th, 2018 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil1968 (Post 2477204)
It does take a couple of heat cycles before the fault message clears, after a couple of days normal driving it should go, it did on my D5 after having to adjust the oil level.

Thank you, fingers crossed that's all it is.

Yobbo Dec 19th, 2018 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil1968 (Post 2477204)

Unfortunately, that's not always true as I found out.
The oil level sensor is a bit iffy and I had to get my code cleared with VIDA, though I have heard that by simply accessing the secret menu it can also clear the code too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3v4e1eKcEA

OlsBean Dec 22nd, 2018 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yobbo (Post 2477314)
Unfortunately, that's not always true as I found out.
The oil level sensor is a bit iffy and I had to get my code cleared with VIDA, though I have heard that by simply accessing the secret menu it can also clear the code too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3v4e1eKcEA

Well we did 4 days of commuting in it (75 mile around trip each day) and that did not clear it, I tried the secret menu, which threw up quite a few stored errors and that did not clear it, so my neighbour came around and put his box of trickery on it and cleared all the error messages and touch wood at the moment there is error message coming up.

Thank you!

The Thong Dec 23rd, 2018 10:03

Has the car been linked to Volvo Dignistics aka VIDA?

Clan Dec 23rd, 2018 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlsBean (Post 2477197)
Hello all, this is my first post and any advice would be very much appreciated.

We've just purchased an S40 D3 2010 but I believe 2011 model if that matters. We noticed that the day after purchase we were getting the Engine System Service Required message and after much Googling discovered that it may be down to much engine oil. The garage had indeed just serviced the vehicle and had put 6L of oil in it, I believe the correct amount is listed as 5.9L but the new advisory level is in fact 5.6L. So to cut a long story short they took out 300-400mls and after a day the electronic dipstick updated itself to reflect this new level.

But we still have the error message when we start car which has had me Googling and now I am worried that there might be something wrong with the DPF filter? The error code is 019. Does anyone know if this car requires DPF additive or is it a Dry DPF? I've researched it but can only find information on the D5 and not the D3. I have about 5 weeks warranty left on the car (just a small local garage) so I am keen to resolve anything that might need doing before that runs out.

Anyway, thank you in advance of any help or advice offered.

The correct oil quantity for the Diesel 5 cylinder is 5.7 litres , if you have had it serviced by a dealer who knows what he is doing they would have reset the oil level gauge at the same time , it is part of the service ..

So what I would do is drain the oil , put back in exactly 5.7 litres of the same oil then get the oil level gauge reset at the dealer , or let them do it if they messed up .
No additive on the volvo engines ..

OlsBean Dec 23rd, 2018 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2478541)
Has the car been linked to Volvo Dignistics aka VIDA?

I don't think it was a Volvo tool just a generic one, he had to put the VIN Number in and went from there, he was able to see and clear all the stored errors. My reply should have said that there are "NO" errors showing now, typo, sorry for the confusion. Hopefully it has fixed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2478550)
The correct oil quantity for the Diesel 5 cylinder is 5.7 litres , if you have had it serviced by a dealer who knows what he is doing they would have reset the oil level gauge at the same time , it is part of the service ..

So what I would do is drain the oil , put back in exactly 5.7 litres of the same oil then get the oil level gauge reset at the dealer , or let them do it if they messed up .
No additive on the volvo engines ..

The garage drained 300ml (he'd put in 6L originally) the electronic dipstick now shows 3 out of 5 bars on it.

Clan Dec 23rd, 2018 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlsBean (Post 2478573)
I don't think it was a Volvo tool just a generic one, he had to put the VIN Number in and went from there, he was able to see and clear all the stored errors. My reply should have said that there are "NO" errors showing now, typo, sorry for the confusion. Hopefully it has fixed it.

The garage drained 300ml (he'd put in 6L originally) the electronic dipstick now shows 3 out of 5 bars on it.

so you have the correct quantity of oil in so it should be reading MAX not 1/2 That is why the oil level gauge must be reset at the oil change ...

OlsBean Dec 27th, 2018 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2478578)
so you have the correct quantity of oil in so it should be reading MAX not 1/2 That is why the oil level gauge must be reset at the oil change ...

Unfortunately we don't have a Volvo dealership nearby, it's probably and hour plus to the nearest one, though I can see I'm going to have to make the journey if I want to get this resolved, no doubt the car would probably benefit from numerous software updates as I doubt there have been many if any done before.

The warning light has also returned. I will get my neighbour to put his box of tricks back on it when he returns from being away for Xmas to see if it gives any clues.