Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Mamual to electric seats conversion, help needed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283471)

mapo Jun 27th, 2018 21:26

Mamual to electric seats conversion, help needed

Hi!

Has anyone done manual to electric seats conversion? If has, I am very keen to hear how it went and what modifications it needs.

Planning to remove manual seat and instal electric one with memory so every piece of information is very welcome.

Semnoz Jun 29th, 2018 11:34

Wow, you must enjoy a challenge if you want to do this ;)

Have you got a VIDA/DICE diagnostic tool ?

If not, you might need this tool after replacing the seats to check all the components are connected and operational. And even before you replace anything, VIDA should help you understand which components need installing, e.g. a module responsible for managing electronic seats.

Maybe you will need to install or replace some wiring ? Again, VIDA might help you determine this.

Good luck.

apersson850 Jun 30th, 2018 15:26

The PSM (Power Seat Module) is connected to the CAN-bus. Which implies that this change requires modifications to the car's software. Which in turn requires not only VIDA, but also a live subscription to Volvo's software library. Something only the bigger workshops have.
To add to the issues, it's also required that the car's configuration, as it's stored in Volvo's servers, does allow for an after-market upgrade to powered seats. Otherwise, not even authorized Volvo workshops can download the required software to the car.

My advice is that you start with contacting a Volvo workshop and ask them if they are able to install the software which makes this work. If not, you can stop right there.
My guess is that it's not possible for them, because I've never seen any upgrade to powered seats on Volvo's web sites, and they usually list Everything you can buy.

SwissXC90 Jun 30th, 2018 16:28

apersson850 is correct

You can only add/remove features that Volvo intended to be added or removed
And I've never seen electrict seats as one of them

HOWEVER some features are not so intelligent and can thus be fitted.

In my MY2009 XC90 the passenger seat is electric, and it has no intelligence whatsoever.
It is literally power and switches and motors

The driver's set has seat memory, which listens to the CAN bus to determine if it should use memory position 1, 2 or 2 when key 1 or key 2 is used.

The seat memory controll module is on the seat itself, and again just needs power and CAN bus. It MAY be simple and just listen for existing messages. Or it may be intelligent and actively talk to the car. I do not know

Of course, that is my car. Your car is a different generation and may have a lot more seat intelligence in it

mapo Jun 30th, 2018 21:37

Hi!

Havent got vida.
I am not interested to use memory functions over can bus. I am just interested if its possible to connect plus and minus to seat and if it then works from the buttons.

apersson850 Jul 1st, 2018 11:24

Perhaps the smartest thing then is to remove the CAN-bus Connection to the PSM. I don't know if that will work, but it seems that the probablility that at least seat movement can be handled by the module locally is fairly high.
For the passenger side it's 100%, since it only has power in.

The communication is there since in a "real" install, you also get external mirror memory as well as automatic seat positioning dependent on which key is used to unlock the car.

ShadeTek Jul 7th, 2018 12:20

I bought a P2 V70 with 4 air fresheners dotted about the cabin a few years back. This at first did not ring any alarm bells until the first hot sunny day. I opened the car door to be met with the stench of builders butts coming at me. It was then I decided to change the rancid cloth seats (and door cards) for leather electronic ones off eBay I got for £150. It was a manual to electrictronic seat conversion. I can't say if it will be as easy as plug and play on a P3 though.

Saabenz Oct 23rd, 2019 09:26

Hey Mayo, how are you getting on with the seat swap. I’m looking at doing mine also. ((-: should know if it will work soon.?

ampy Sep 16th, 2020 09:39

Hi, Did it work?

Thevolvofox2001 Sep 30th, 2020 03:42

Manual to power seat conversion

Hi! Just saw your thread and wanted to give a little insight on a manual to power seat swap. I bought a 2002 Volvo v70 with manual seats. They were worn and gross. So to try things I went to a upull it and got a new seat of front seats out of the same car to put into my p2

The wiring is all there. No need to run any power or grounds. Just plug and play. However. In the drivers side dash fuse box there are 2 30 amp fuses that need to be put in. You will have both power and memory with your seats. If your car does not have heated then that would be something different as the buttons are built onto the heating and ac module. As for the air bags. If still working with them. As far as codes and errors they are all stored into the airbag system. The power seats do not have a code what so ever. So for those looking to do this it will work. Just expect an airbag light