Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2011 D5 (D5244T18) timing marks (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318841)

robsterpaterson Jul 31st, 2021 20:09

2011 D5 (D5244T18) timing marks

Hi all. Before I go tearing my 2011 D5 down to change the belts/tensioners/idlers etc, are the timing marks the same as the other incarnations of the D5? Ie, crank pulley aligns to a notch/ledge on the block and the cam pulley to a mark on the belt cover?

I'm doing the aux belt, timing belt and alternator pulley. The (genuine) kit I bought includes the water pump but I'm 50/50 on changing that as I read that the original pumps are good for double my mileage. As I have it, and the coolant is due a change anyway, I'm leaning towards just doing it while I'm in there!

Thanks folks...

ltec Aug 1st, 2021 08:42

It looks like it on autodata. I can't upload the screenshot.
I'd put the waterpump on regardless of how long volvo says it lasts. Its only a bearing and could collapse like any other. You can be sure none of it will fail then.
It would be madness not to considering you have it anyway.

S60D5-185 Aug 1st, 2021 09:57

Don't forget you will need a crank locking tool and remember that the crank nut is at 300 nm so you need a powerful impact gun for removal ( or breaker bar and scaffold pipe ) as well as a torque wrench capable of measuring 300nm.

As for water pump, on my Xc70 that was still perfect when I changed the belt for the second time at 180k so was left alone. It's on over 200k now.

I know there are differing views on using genuine parts but I would not take out your original pump if it still feels fine to then replace it with a cheap aftermarket one ( if indeed yours is ).

Do a search and you will find several instances of where a cheap replacement pump has failed on the D5 and has taken out the cambelt.

Tannaton Aug 1st, 2021 10:08

I think the OP has got a genuine pump, and that’s the only thing that he should consider fitting. Ask any dealer mechanic, the vast majority of pump failures on D5’s are where the factory pump has been replaced with a pattern one of inferior quality.

There will no doubt be some aftermarket pumps available that are good quality, but no one has yet published a list of makes not found to have failed so it remains a lottery.

But given he has already a genuine pump, why wouldn’t you? He doesn’t say if he’s changing it for age, mileage and if the latter whether it’s the second cycle?

S60D5-185 Aug 1st, 2021 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2758588)
I think the OP has got a genuine pump, and that’s the only thing that he should consider fitting. Ask any dealer mechanic, the vast majority of pump failures on D5’s are where the factory pump has been replaced with a pattern one of inferior quality.

Missed that, I should read more carefully.😊

ltec Aug 1st, 2021 11:02

The op states that it is a genuine kit which includes waterpump so more lengthy arguments on how not to use none genuine parts is stupid.
Volvo check the pump on first timing belt change and change on second. Its checked on first timing belt change coz like any part it can fail. Volvo will not guarantee that it won't fail.
As you have the part already it would be silly not to.
Your changing everything else so for piece of mind and hopefully never be in their again. Sort it all and leave it finished.
You would be gutted if something happened the engine and you had a new one sitting in your cupboard at home.

Tannaton Aug 1st, 2021 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltec (Post 2758619)
The op states that it is a genuine kit which includes waterpump so more lengthy arguments on how not to use none genuine parts is stupid.
Volvo check the pump on first timing belt change and change on second. Its checked on first timing belt change coz like any part it can fail. Volvo will not guarantee that it won't fail.
Your changing everything else so for piece of mind and hopefully never be in their again. Sort it all and leave it finished.
You would be gutted if something happened the engine and you had a new one sitting in your cupboard at home.

You and I have very different views on which parts to use - and that's all it is, different views, I'm not debating that or trying to start another thread.

I suspect probably 50%-70% of the information that people get from this forum when looking for answers to their car problems is through searching the forum rather than creating new threads, which is why I am sometimes a little pedantic or overly wordy in my posts - I try to consider how someone reading it in 2-3 years time would interpret it.

S60D5-185 Aug 1st, 2021 11:12

Quote:

Who's arguing?

Kev0607 Aug 1st, 2021 11:36

Quote:

Volvo don’t change the water pump. Its simply visually checked for leaks/noises & left alone if it appears in good condition.

As the OP has a genuine water pump, I agree that it makes sense to change it. However, if he didn’t have one & the existing was working fine, then he could well leave it alone. There’s plenty of Volvo’s with original pumps at over 200,000 miles.

ltec Aug 1st, 2021 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2758625)
Volvo don’t change the water pump. Its simply visually checked for leaks/noises & left alone if it appears in good condition.

As the OP has a genuine water pump, I agree that it makes sense to change it. However, if he didn’t have one & the existing was working fine, then he could well leave it alone. There’s plenty of Volvo’s with original pumps at over 200,000 miles.

It was another post where a volvo tech had said they changed at second timing belt change i was going by.
But regardless I wouldn't always go by the dealers. Does volvo not say that their automatic gearbox doesn't need serviced but we all know it does and can end up very expensive.
I would apply the same principle for a water pump. For all the cost of it. Again the consequences of what happens if it does go wrong.
No one can guarantee the pump or will stand over the damage. So best to keep yourself right.
Save the money somewhere else where genuine parts aren't required and if it does go wrong your car isn't scrap.
This is the one place you dont cut corners