Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Father's wierd BMW problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287415)

Laney760 Oct 12th, 2018 14:54

Father's wierd BMW problem

My Dad is waiting for the AA right now

Yesterday when he was out he said his BMW made a shussh shussh shussh noise and then a terrific bang which frightened the life out of him from the front end of the car. He said the bang is like somebody hitting a tin drum with a hammer. He got out of the car, couldn't find a thing wrong but drove to a garage who went over the car with a fine toothcomb and couldn't find a single thing wrong

Today he has gone out and the car is doing it over and over again, he says the noise is tremendous. He says the shussh shussh noise sounds like something trailing on the ground but there is nothing

This surely has to be exhaust or catalytic converter problem but he is insistent it is not a backfire

AA are attending to look at the car and trailer him to a garage, I'll let you know what it is and leave you all to diagnose! :-)

ksmi Oct 12th, 2018 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laney760 (Post 2456698)

Yesterday when he was out he said his BMW made a shussh shussh shussh noise and then a terrific bang which frightened the life out of him from the front end of the car. He said the bang is like somebody hitting a tin drum with a hammer. He got out of the car, couldn't find a thing wrong but drove to a garage who went over the car with a fine toothcomb and couldn't find a single thing wrong

Today he has gone out and the car is doing it over and over again, he says the noise is tremendous. He says the shussh shussh noise sounds like something trailing on the ground but there is nothing

This surely has to be exhaust or catalytic converter problem but he is insistent it is not a backfire

AA are attending to look at the car and trailer him to a garage, I'll let you know what it is and leave you all to diagnose! :-)

Hi E, If it is an auto,could be the flexi plate which has the ring gear attached, between the torque converter and the crankshaft, they make a heck of a noise when they start cracking & breaking up. Not sure about the shushy,dragging noise,Traffic Warden stuck under car?
Regards,Keith. PS. You and your Dad haven't been 'sorting out' the mirror spiders,I hope!

Laney760 Oct 12th, 2018 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksmi (Post 2456744)
Hi E, If it is an auto,could be the flexi plate which has the ring gear attached, between the torque converter and the crankshaft, they make a heck of a noise when they start cracking & breaking up. Not sure about the shushy,dragging noise,Traffic Warden stuck under car?
Regards,Keith. PS. You and your Dad haven't been 'sorting out' the mirror spiders,I hope!

Do you mean the spiders are getting revenge on both of us?!

Well, I was wrong, its not the cat or unburnt fuel getting into the cat

AA said it's seizing rear wheel hand brake and it makes a hell of a bang when they unseize as you drive alone. Funny enough he has just had two new tyres put on the rear wheels 2 days ago, just before it started? At least I don't have to worry about him now, I had visions of the car exploding

andrewpain Oct 24th, 2018 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laney760 (Post 2456698)

sorry - thought this was a missed punctuation mark, as in: father's weird; BMW problem