Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1998 940 2.3 LPT Automatic Immobiliser Problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34043)

bradbeetle Mar 15th, 2007 14:43

1998 940 2.3 LPT Automatic Immobiliser Problem

Guess what?

I cannot disarm my immobiliser. Now my lovely Volvo might as well be a garden feature. It was working fine until Monday morning when upon trying the key fob, I discovered that the damn thing won't come off. The central locking still works on the key but all other functions are...er...immobilised! I've contacted an auto-electrician but (quite rightly)he's asking for a £60 callout fee before any other expenses are taken into account. Is there any way to disarm the immobiliser on this model? I've tried disconnecting the battery; reprogramming the key fobs and various angles of blippery with the key all to no avail. There is no alarm but there must be a workaround for this.
Please email me privately if you are at all concerned about this sort of thing in a public forum.
Please help. I desperately need the car and there is far too much month left at the end of the money to pay a mechanic!

larwood Mar 15th, 2007 19:27

immoob prob

Hi, i had a very similar problem on my Megane about 3 months ago,the car stayed immobilised although the central locking worked okay.After ringing Renault and getting a price tag of 200 quid +for the unit, ( because they told me what had happened was a common fault as the car gets older,) +callout charge, +fitting charge and finally programmeing key to said unit, i was quoted 450 all in ish. Needless to say i gave em the one finger salute and pulled the unit out of the roof console myself, after looking at what constituted of about 7.50's worth of parts, i just generally cleaned all the dirt, spiders and any other crud out from there using a cotton bud soaked in switch cleaner, very very very softly cleaned up the teminals on the pcb, sprayed up inside the terminal blocks and pulled them on & off a few times, and then just reassembled the unit.Got my keys out, pressed the button and hey ho away we go, and it's never been a prblem since.
You may have a similar set up on your pride & joy, if so you've got nothing to lose, very often a wiggle test can put things right temporarily.

bradbeetle Mar 15th, 2007 19:58

Great response larwood,
Trouble is, I don't know where the unit is in the 940. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll certainly give this methd a go if I know where it is and what it looks like!
Cheers

dvbydt Mar 15th, 2007 20:01

I have the same year 940 and I have had the same problem. With mine if I lock it with the remote it has to be unlocked with the remote, not the key. The manual says that to use the key only, let the alarm sound (30 seconds). When it stops, start the car within 5 seconds. The cure(?)for me was to remove the batteries in the fob, replace if dead, bend the small contact at the side so it presses more heavily on the batteries.

If you hold the fob up to your ear, you should hear one beep when you press unlock. If you hear more, the batteries need replacing.

bradbeetle Mar 15th, 2007 20:57

Mmm..that sounds interesting.
Thanks for that dvbydt. Things are becoming less expensive hopefully! :)

robhertz Jul 21st, 2011 23:30

1998 940 2.3 LPT Automatic Immobiliser Problem Reply to Thr

Hi everyone I have same problem cant start vehicle tried to reprogram fob without any luck now car is blocking driveway does any body know if i could bypass this imobiliser i would be very gratful for all advice many thanks to all Robhertz:

gpl1968 Jul 22nd, 2011 00:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by robhertz (Post 951521)
Hi everyone I have same problem cant start vehicle tried to reprogram fob without any luck now car is blocking driveway does any body know if i could bypass this imobiliser i would be very gratful for all advice many thanks to all Robhertz:

The attached pdf may help.
It describes how to bypass the alarm. It is for the 960 but the alarm is the same so the bypass should work.
You will need to remove the glovebox to gain access to the alarm module.

barkster1971 Jul 23rd, 2011 07:27

fuse

Pull the fuse that controls the immobiliser that's behind the ashtray with the rest of the fuses and you're good to go. It's more or less in the top of the top row, fuse 15 or similar.

loki_the_glt Jul 24th, 2011 10:54

Or possibly not

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkster1971 (Post 952136)
Pull the fuse that controls the immobiliser that's behind the ashtray with the rest of the fuses and you're good to go. It's more or less in the top of the top row, fuse 15 or similar.

I've just tried that - fuse 13 controls the immobiliser and kills the fuel pump; there is a quick fix: pm my user-id AT yahoo.com for details.

Toni940 Dec 10th, 2011 12:08

You can use older 940 B230FT/-FK e.g. -937, -954, -962 non Immobiliser ECU chip at e.g. -977, -984 Immobiliser ECU. It will disable Immobiliser function.