Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pierburg Or Stromberg CD175- which should I fit? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317539)

Bugjam1999 Jun 11th, 2021 14:29

Pierburg Or Stromberg CD175- which should I fit?

Hi all,

I’m helping a friend with a 1978 244, fitted with a B21a engine.

Is there any advantage to a Pierburg CD175 over a Stromberg CD175, or vis versa? The car currently has a Pierburg fitted and it runs poorly- for clarity, I don’t think this is a fault of the carb, rather years of poor maintenance.

We’re going to rebuild the carb as a starting point- but he also has a complete Stromberg as a spare.

Given that the rebuild kit is the same and we’re in exactly the same starting point with either, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Cheers

loki_the_glt Jun 12th, 2021 08:40

Go for the Stromberg - they're much easier to work with, far less temperamental and spares are more readily available since many 1970's British cars - Rootes Group, Triumph and Vauxhall - used them in one spec or another.

The Pierburg uses a unique needle and jet set-up that even in the 1980s was expensive and difficult to source, although the diaphragm is the same as the Stromberg.

AndrewBrown Jun 13th, 2021 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 (Post 2744517)
Hi all,

I’m helping a friend with a 1978 244, fitted with a B21a engine.

Is there any advantage to a Pierburg CD175 over a Stromberg CD175, or vis versa? The car currently has a Pierburg fitted and it runs poorly- for clarity, I don’t think this is a fault of the carb, rather years of poor maintenance.

We’re going to rebuild the carb as a starting point- but he also has a complete Stromberg as a spare.

Given that the rebuild kit is the same and we’re in exactly the same starting point with either, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Cheers

The Stromberg 175CD carb is said to be temperamental to set up and tune,
its not true people just dont know how to do it correctly

The Stromberg carb was back in the early '70s considered a performance upgrade over SU carbs the good thing is they are easy to set up right
with all the parts available new from Burlin fuel systems,

My advice is to only use a genuine Stromberg Diaphragm
the cheap ones from ebay etc are not the correct type of rubber and certainly not the correct stiffness or flexibility

Be sure to replace the float bowl gasket every time you remove it and Always set the float height correctly, you will get fuel blow back an spitting if its not right, flooding and over rich mixture etc

The Pierberg carb is German made and although very similar in operation its just difficult to get parts cheaply and is more difficult to service

Go for the Stromberg 175 CD2 type its the closest to fuel injection a carburettor gets.

dmw244gl Jul 5th, 2021 10:42

hi
what did you decided to do, as i could use parts from the Pierburg CD175

is the baseplate screw fitment ok and the cover ?

cheers
dennis

Bugjam1999 Jul 8th, 2021 16:47

Went with the pierburg in the end- my friend had already ordered the service kit for it and the stromberg would have required the purchase of an adjustment tool as well, so we decided to just go with the pierburg and see.

All back together and on the car which is running well.

As we used the pierburg I’m not able to help with any spares- but the baseplate and bolt for the pierburg is a pretty simple setup- you could tap the hole out bigger and put a larger bolt in if you can’t find another I expect. Or check ebay?

Cheers