Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> Articles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   XC40 Reversing Lights. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301596)

supabuilda Dec 16th, 2019 12:56

XC40 Reversing Lights.

Does anyone know how to upgrade the reversing lights on my XC40.
Despite having a top of the range, all singing, gadget crammed car with a 360 reversing camera, the reversing lights are abysmal.
In any dark place the reversing aids are not fit for purpose.
Do I really have to get an auto-electrician to fit me a couple of cheap lights after spending 40K ?

Clan Dec 16th, 2019 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by supabuilda (Post 2581282)
Despite having a top of the range, all singing, gadget crammed car with a 360 reversing camera, the reversing lights are abysmal.
Do I really have to get an auto-electrician to fit me a couple of cheap lights after spending 40K ?

Reversing lights are to indicate to people behind that you are reversing , rather than to see where you are going .. A lot of cars are going that way now with the led lights . I'm sure they can still pick out the corners of walls etc though . if not why not outline the sharp edges with a strip of white paint?

Boatie Dec 16th, 2019 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2581312)
Reversing lights are to indicate to people behind that you are reversing , rather than to see where you are going .. A lot of cars are going that way now with the led lights . I'm sure they can still pick out the corners of walls etc though . if not why not outline the sharp edges with a strip of white paint?

An interesting argument. Has anyone told Volvo that they have CUSTOMERS. So take what want they offer and buy a pot of paint!
To the OP. My V90 reversing lights are ****. as well.

Clan Dec 16th, 2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatie (Post 2581427)
An interesting argument. Has anyone told Volvo that they have CUSTOMERS. So take what want they offer and buy a pot of paint!
To the OP. My V90 reversing lights are ****. as well.

Perhaps the law has changed , worth checking it out ... as I said, a lot of new cars are like this now .

supabuilda Dec 16th, 2019 22:47

Headlights are basically provided to help see where you are going not to tell other people that you are coming.
Reversing lights should help you see where you are reversing.
How can you put marks on walls in a poorly lit public car park ?

Bashy Dec 17th, 2019 02:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2581439)
Perhaps the law has changed , worth checking it out ... as I said, a lot of new cars are like this now .

I have just done some searched on google and cannot find anything relating to the law and brightness of the reversing lights, plenty regarding, how many, what should work and since when, but nothing about lumens etc.

I do believe their primary role is to alert other users and from what i would class as common sense, any white light should not be so much as to dazzle or confuse other road users, i think this will be the reason for them not being so bright. Also i find nothing in the MOT standard referencing lumens (brightness), just that there must be at least one and where however many are fitted, should all be working.

Being able to see going backwards is a must in my book, even more so when you just come from a straight door to extra bulge lark, i never did like it when they added that, its even worse when trying to close quarter park in reverse :rolleyes:

Clan Dec 17th, 2019 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by supabuilda (Post 2581478)
Headlights are basically provided to help see where you are going not to tell other people that you are coming.
Reversing lights should help you see where you are reversing.
How can you put marks on walls in a poorly lit public car park ?

headlamps are there to warn people that you approaching just as much as to be able to see , that is why it is illegal to drive on side lights alone in poor weather conditions .

cassell Dec 20th, 2019 11:23

Quote:

I'm with you on this one, I have a V90 and the reversing lights are pathetic. Yes, I'm aware that under 'construction and use' and 'type approval' regulations, reversing lights are primarily to warn others that a vehicle is reversing, but if a manufacturer has to fit them anyway, why not make them a useful aid for the vehicle's driver too?

There is a SPA XC90/S90/V90 facebook page which has a lot of American followers, many of them have resorted to fitting additional reversing lights under the rear bumper. Sadly the kit they've used is only available in America, having said that, I'd not want to disfigure the rear of my car to overcome a situation that the manufacturer has caused.

It'll be interesting to see if forthcoming facelifted SPA variants have brighter/larger reversing lights as I'm told that Volvo are aware of this customer dissatisfaction.

matt taboada Jan 6th, 2020 21:38

Xc40

Quote:

I COMPLAINED ABOUT MY REVERSING LIGHTS ON MY XC40 BEING VERY POOR.
AND I WAS TOLD THAT THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM.
THE FACT THAT YOU CANT SEE A CAR PARKED EVEN WITH 360 CAMERA SHOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE CLARETY OF THE LIGHTS.
:confused_smile:

Clan Jan 6th, 2020 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt taboada (Post 2586924)
I COMPLAINED ABOUT MY REVERSING LIGHTS ON MY XC40 BEING VERY POOR.
AND I WAS TOLD THAT THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM.
THE FACT THAT YOU CANT SEE A CAR PARKED EVEN WITH 360 CAMERA SHOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE CLARETY OF THE LIGHTS.
:confused_smile:

Actually reversing lights are only meant to inform people behind that you are reversing .. Just about all cars are like this today with small LED reverse lights , much brighter to the car behind than the old ones but not designed to illuminate buildings etc .