Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Thinking of buying a V40 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=336679)

david480 Nov 29th, 2023 09:57

Thinking of buying a V40

I currently drive a 2008 C30 2.0d. Im thinking of getting a V40. Anyone else here changed from a C40 to a V40?

Im in Ireland and most of the ones for sale here are T4 Jap imports with the auto box. I've heard the T4 can be thirty and the auto box can give trouble?

This one is exactly the spec Im looking for but I'm not sure about the engine.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...eries/35748071

Ideally I'd like a D3 or D4 as I do quite a lot of mileage but they rarely come up for sale here.

Phil Croxley Nov 29th, 2023 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by david480 (Post 2925020)
I currently drive a 2008 C30 2.0d. Im thinking of getting a V40. Anyone else here changed from a C40 to a V40?

Im in Ireland and most of the ones for sale here are T4 Jap imports with the auto box. I've heard the T4 can be thirty and the auto box can give trouble?

This one is exactly the spec Im looking for but I'm not sure about the engine.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...eries/35748071

Ideally I'd like a D3 or D4 as I do quite a lot of mileage but they rarely come up for sale here.

It isn't a model I'm familiar with but I would have thought very good history, test drive experience etc may persuade you. It's a lovely colour as well! It's also worth mentioning that generally only negative comments make these forums, far less than the good, and that can easily influence us!

david480 Nov 29th, 2023 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Croxley (Post 2925090)
It isn't a model I'm familiar with but I would have thought very good history, test drive experience etc may persuade you. It's a lovely colour as well! It's also worth mentioning that generally only negative comments make these forums, far less than the good, and that can easily influence us!

Thanks! I know it's a recent Jap import so prob doesn't have much in the way of history.

Phil Croxley Nov 30th, 2023 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by david480 (Post 2925096)
Thanks! I know it's a recent Jap import so prob doesn't have much in the way of history.

My last car was a direct Japanese import and the only history was in Japanese! However, they do maintain their cars very well and rarely have rust. Insurance isn't as straightforward on an import though, you have to really shop around as most won't cover you.

Tannaton Nov 30th, 2023 19:30

I'd check if that has the Ford Powershift gearbox - if so I'd walk away. If the full model name says "Geartronic" then it will have an Aisin Warner gearbox which is better.

They're hard to find but he D4 V40 is a real wolf in sheeps clothing, superb car.

With regard to going from a C30 to a V40, which I have experience of as my mum had a C30 when I had a V40 - it's strange, C30 had slightly more room in the front about the same in the rear (though V40 has extra doors), V40 boot is bigger (C30's is quite small). V40 is a great car, but small and low.

simboc2004 Dec 4th, 2023 08:24

1 Attachment(s)
I have just bought a V40 D4 R-Design Pro 190 to replace my wife's C30 D2 Lux 1.6. Reason for change? Two sons over 6' tall, so needed 4 doors. Also because my wife's previous car was a Mini cooper S and she missed the performance (though not the fuel consumption!) The V40 is also Euro 6, so no "fine" for going into Greater London.

I absolutely love C30s, having previously owned a 2.0D R-Design from new in 2009. That was chipped and was a beast of a car.

The V40 is a great car to drive - and it goes really, really well. Shame to hand it over to the missus, really... It is somewhat larger than the C30 - and quite hard to see out of - and i hate the look of the rear, but it has got the thumbs up from rear seat passengers, which is the point of the swap.

david480 Dec 5th, 2023 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboc2004 (Post 2925692)
I have just bought a V40 D4 R-Design Pro 190 to replace my wife's C30 D2 Lux 1.6. Reason for change? Two sons over 6' tall, so needed 4 doors. Also because my wife's previous car was a Mini cooper S and she missed the performance (though not the fuel consumption!) The V40 is also Euro 6, so no "fine" for going into Greater London.

I absolutely love C30s, having previously owned a 2.0D R-Design from new in 2009. That was chipped and was a beast of a car.

The V40 is a great car to drive - and it goes really, really well. Shame to hand it over to the missus, really... It is somewhat larger than the C30 - and quite hard to see out of - and i hate the look of the rear, but it has got the thumbs up from rear seat passengers, which is the point of the swap.

I know what you mean, I love the C30 too. If I could buy a new C30 I would, but sadly even the newest are ten years old now.

What engine have you got in your V40?

Waderider Dec 5th, 2023 22:10

C30 versus V40

I've got both, a 2010 1.6 petrol C30 and a 2017 V40 D2 (amongst other Volvos!)

The V40 gains a lot by being more modern, and has a much bigger boot (try to get one with a two level adapting boot floor). Rear passenger accommodation in both is a compromise, maybe less so in the V40 because of 4 doors.

If I was offered the choice of either a c30 or v40 at an identical market value I take the v40.

The C30 looks better though!

I've had three geartronic boxes in my life no problem without oil changes, but the highest mileage one has run to only 110k miles.

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX Dec 7th, 2023 20:13

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance for an imported vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

david480 Mar 2nd, 2024 07:23

This has just come up for sale near me:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/vol...journey=Search

This level of spec, the rebel blue colour and D3 engine make it very rare in Ireland. The mileage is a bit high.

Anything in particular I should look for in this version?