Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70 Subframe (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338957)

SignumGB Mar 24th, 2024 14:52

XC70 Subframe

Hello,

Does anyone know if the subframe is generic? Ie those that fit on diesel models will fit on petrol?

Also, what sort of price would you expect to pay for a new subframe?

Thanks

SignumGB Mar 28th, 2024 02:33

3 Attachment(s)
Got underneath and took some images. Would anyone bother replacing this or just leave it as is? It is worse for not horrendous, but it was something a garage highlighted.

GrahamBrown1 Mar 28th, 2024 06:05

It’s holed near a mounting point or damaged near the gearbox mount? I don’t think that would pass test here in the UK. It’s certainly looks crusty.

Salt use must be heavy where you are so chances of finding a good second hand one might be slim? You might end up having to buy new. I would be looking at protecting the rest of the car with something like fluid film to help prevent any further issues.

hal9000f Mar 28th, 2024 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignumGB (Post 2942125)
Hello,

Does anyone know if the subframe is generic? Ie those that fit on diesel models will fit on petrol?

Also, what sort of price would you expect to pay for a new subframe?Thanks

I was asking myself the same... But, mine was only some surface rust, so I did some preventive maintenance:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=423

Not sure, but it looks like the frame fits all models, maybe even petrol/diesel. New one P/N 31406808 is pricey at 1300-1800 EUR.

The bracket P/N 31368100 underneath the radiator is less than 50 EUR.

Yours looks bad. I'd go after a good used one and refurbish it the best I could before installation. Used ones start at 150-250 EUR and don't look bad on the pictures. Esp compared to yours...

SignumGB Mar 28th, 2024 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal9000f (Post 2942689)
I was asking myself the same... But, mine was only some surface rust, so I did some preventive maintenance:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=423

Not sure, but it looks like the frame fits all models, maybe even petrol/diesel. New one P/N 31406808 is pricey at 1300-1800 EUR.

The bracket P/N 31368100 underneath the radiator is less than 50 EUR.

Yours looks bad. I'd go after a good used one and refurbish it the best I could before installation. Used ones start at 150-250 EUR and don't look bad on the pictures. Esp compared to yours...

Yeah quotes for new were insane here. But yes, a lot of road salt over the winter here. Never seen so many rusty cars! Mines is ok, just that subframe has taken a beating.

Kev0607 Mar 28th, 2024 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 (Post 2942680)
It’s holed near a mounting point or damaged near the gearbox mount? I don’t think that would pass test here in the UK. It’s certainly looks crusty.

Salt use must be heavy where you are so chances of finding a good second hand one might be slim? You might end up having to buy new. I would be looking at protecting the rest of the car with something like fluid film to help prevent any further issues.

Agree with Graham.

SignumGB Mar 28th, 2024 13:06

Funnily enough I asked Canadian Tire here to do an underbody corrosion spray... as well as peeing in the wind! **** poor job they did, infact did they even?

Kev0607 Mar 28th, 2024 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignumGB (Post 2942754)
Funnily enough I asked Canadian Tire here to do an underbody corrosion spray... as well as peeing in the wind! **** poor job they did, infact did they even?

Doesn't look like they did a great job. In fact, I can't really see any evidence of any treatment!

If you do get a new subframe, make sure you get the car properly treated underneath. You'll end up in the same predicament in future if you don't. I know its not your fault, but they really did do a **** job.

Sadly, its not going to be a cheap fix. I don't know how long you plan on keeping the car? A new sub frame, plus fitting and getting it undersealed professionally with a decent product like fluid film would cost you around $3,000+

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a second hand subframe in decent condition. Salt eats cars alive over there! Its worth a try, but I'd be doubtful.

SignumGB Mar 28th, 2024 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2942766)
Doesn't look like they did a great job. In fact, I can't really see any evidence of any treatment!

If you do get a new subframe, make sure you get the car properly treated underneath. You'll end up in the same predicament in future if you don't. I know its not your fault, but they really did do a **** job.

Sadly, its not going to be a cheap fix. I don't know how long you plan on keeping the car? A new sub frame, plus fitting and getting it undersealed professionally with a decent product like fluid film would cost you around $3,000+

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a second hand subframe in decent condition. Salt eats cars alive over there! Its worth a try, but I'd be doubtful.

Only here for say another 18 months before coming back to the UK, so I am inclined to leave as is. Spent money getting the PCV replaced and other bits and pieces... Got a hole in the exhaust and rear trailing arms need doing also... The exhaust Ill get a muffler repair guy to sort it as Volvo here were wanting $7000 for a whole new exhaust system!

Apart from the above, the car runs great. Had it for almost 6 months now.

Kev0607 Mar 28th, 2024 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignumGB (Post 2942851)
Only here for say another 18 months before coming back to the UK, so I am inclined to leave as is. Spent money getting the PCV replaced and other bits and pieces... Got a hole in the exhaust and rear trailing arms need doing also... The exhaust Ill get a muffler repair guy to sort it as Volvo here were wanting $7000 for a whole new exhaust system!

Apart from the above, the car runs great. Had it for almost 6 months now.

Fair enough. Its not worth spending that money if its not being kept long term.