Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Led daytime running lights not working (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215772)

Jimbo007 Oct 11th, 2014 19:08

Led daytime running lights not working

Hi, I have a 09 xc60 with daytime led running lights, the left hand side one isn't working, I'm presuming I have to buy a whole new light, it seems that the front bumper has to come off to get at it is this right.

wimorrison Oct 11th, 2014 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo007 (Post 1757948)
Hi, I have a 09 xc60 with daytime led running lights, the left hand side one isn't working, I'm presuming I have to buy a whole new light, it seems that the front bumper has to come off to get at it is this right.

It is the side marker light in the main left light cluster that has failed NOT the LED. They are wired in series and you only notice that the incandescent bulb has blown because the LED stops working :)

Switch the side lights on at night and you will see tht there is a light missing on the left, that is the one you need to replace.

Whyman Oct 11th, 2014 20:41

It is just possible to replace the led without taking the bumper off.

Just remove the headlight, the two screw and some of the clips holding the top of the bumper to the front panel and you can wiggle the LED out. I had to replace mine as it had been hit by a stone.

Not sure if the same applies to the offside but it looks very similar.

Jimbo007 Oct 11th, 2014 22:54

Thankyou, I will have a look and change the side light bulb, i was not looking forward to having to get the led out and fit a new one.

wimorrison Oct 11th, 2014 23:11

Just make sure you get the right one, I didn't even know the bulb was there until I had exactly the same issue as you and I had to compare left and righ to work out which bulb had gone :(

You never forget this one after you have had it :)

Shadeyman Jan 11th, 2019 12:25

Sorry about reviving an old post but with over 1600 views I thought I should point out the info here may be incorrect, the side lights and DRL's are not wired in series, not on my wifes 2011 XC60 DRIV'e at least. Side lights are working, DRL's aren't, see YT vid. Even with the DRL's unplugged the side lights still work so can't be wired in series with the DRL's.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

DRL's work 100%, taken them out and tested them. No power at the connectors so I'm guessing a blown fuse or a faulty relay?

You guys have any idea's?

Tannaton Jan 11th, 2019 13:12

The DRL's must extinguish (or drop to 20%-30% power) when the headlamps are on. Have you got the headlight switch in pos II ? Any difference on pos 0 ?

hancym Jan 11th, 2019 13:43

On the 09 XC60 these are NOT DRLs. Even if you get the software download to gt the lightswitch to actually turn off the lights they LEDs will NOT be illuminated unless the headlights are on.

Shadeyman Jan 11th, 2019 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2483844)
The DRL's must extinguish (or drop to 20%-30% power) when the headlamps are on. Have you got the headlight switch in pos II ? Any difference on pos 0 ?

I have tried all positions, no difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancym (Post 2483857)
On the 09 XC60 these are NOT DRLs. Even if you get the software download to gt the lightswitch to actually turn off the lights they LEDs will NOT be illuminated unless the headlights are on.

I don't think these are "real" DRL's, they not bright enough and were on all the time until recently.
Volvo Parts Webstore has them listed as Posistion Lamps
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../31290873.html
Or Front Marker Lamps
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...roduct=1153032

JGEM Jan 12th, 2019 00:51

2009 xc60 drl

Never sure what the purpose was for those little white lights at the front was, when they only come on with the headlights or parklights on with my 2009 XC60. If they could be replaced with high intensity LEDs and used as DRL they would be much more useful

Several years ago i replaced my fog lights on the XC60 with a set of LED based DRL I got from Ebay. They come with a controller so that they are on when the car is switched on and dim down when the headlights are turned on.

The lack of fog lights was never an issue in Australia, but now the XC60 is in NZ fog is a bit more of an issue, but even then based on past NZ experience I can only recall a real need for foglights about once or twice a year based on where I live in South Island

Our second car is currently a 2008 Volvo S80 and I notice that the aftermarket DRLs available for that model seem to allow retention of the existing fog lights by incorporating them into a modified housing which has both fog and DRL. Will have to do some research and see if such a thing is available for the XC60