Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Is it worth a one off service to get software? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327191)

reggit Aug 18th, 2022 18:58

Is it worth a one off service to get software?

I still have the seatbelt recall to sort out on my 2009 (2010MY) V70.

According to all the history I have, it last visited a Volvo dealer in 2011.
I usually DIY my cars as I’ve had substandard work done at dealers previously (non-volvo).

Just debating if I should fork out for the cheapest service they do to get the software updated.

Anyone know if there’s any groundbreaking new functionality added since 2011? Car has got quite a lot of optional toys fitted, if that makes any difference (most used is adaptive cruise)

griston64 Aug 18th, 2022 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2840645)
I still have the seatbelt recall to sort out on my 2009 (2010MY) V70.

According to all the history I have, it last visited a Volvo dealer in 2011.
I usually DIY my cars as I’ve had substandard work done at dealers previously (non-volvo).

Just debating if I should fork out for the cheapest service they do to get the software updated.

Anyone know if there’s any groundbreaking new functionality added since 2011? Car has got quite a lot of optional toys fitted, if that makes any difference (most used is adaptive cruise)

Volvo dealers do what they call an essential service for £175 sadly it doesn't include the software update.

You would be better asking how much it is for just the software update as the cheapest normal service is about £350 or possibly a tad more

reggit Aug 18th, 2022 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2840657)
Volvo dealers do what they call an essential service for £175 sadly it doesn't include the software update.

You would be better asking how much it is for just the software update as the cheapest normal service is about £350 or possibly a tad more

Thanks for that, oil and filter change for £175 that’s not happening. The £350 one doesn’t seem to offer much else and is halfway to polestar!

100K+ Aug 18th, 2022 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2840663)
Thanks for that, oil and filter change for £175 that’s not happening. The £350 one doesn’t seem to offer much else and is halfway to polestar!

5.7 litres of castrol 0/30 ain't cheap, and volvo service labour is £120/hrs PLUS vat. At least its what I was charged for 2 year service..6 years ago or so. I too bauked after2nd year and did my own servicing...

I'd work on principle of : if it currently works to my satisfaction don't update...its worked for me on my 2014 V70 and more importantly on my vida/dice laptop..NO UPDATES

Cheers
Bob

green van man Aug 18th, 2022 21:38

I have my 59 plate xc70 serviced every year for the plug in.
I supply my own oil, Castrol edge 0/30 A5B5.
This year I paid £240.
It's half that just for the plug in and no one can tell you if any updates have been installed. Apparently the car talks to Sweden via live link once plugged in and Sweden decides if it needs any updates. That licence alone is over 2.5 k a year cost to the dealer so I am told.

Apart from that one visit for service and another for MOT I do most things myself.

Paul.

Tatsfield Aug 18th, 2022 22:32

To complicate the issue, you also receive membership of the Volvo recovery service. I have no idea of how good that actually is but you could expect to pay around £100 a year for a recovery service and I believe that it operates outside of the UK but only to the nearest Volvo garage. Nevertheless, if you would otherwise be paying for a recovery service that you could drop in favour of the Volvo deal, you could factor the £100 into the cost of the service. I'm not sure if it is worthwhile but it shouldn't be left out of the equation.

100K+ Aug 18th, 2022 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2840672)
I have my 59 plate xc70 serviced every year for the plug in.
I supply my own oil, Castrol edge 0/30 A5B5.
This year I paid £240.
It's half that just for the plug in and no one can tell you if any updates have been installed..

Thats a shed load of money Paul for a service and updates that you might not be getting...especially considering when you are capable of performing said service yourself.
Personally, I'd want to know what software upgrades I was getting before parting with my hard earned. Off hand I can't think of another example of buying something and not knowing what I was getting for my money. Sometimes I don't understand fully, but thats down to my ignorance not supplier's secrecy.
Cheers
Bob

Jimsmith44 Aug 18th, 2022 23:04

I'm almost sure i read somewhere that if you have your car serviced at a Volvo garage updates are included.Worth asking.

griston64 Aug 18th, 2022 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimsmith44 (Post 2840686)
I'm almost sure i read somewhere that if you have your car serviced at a Volvo garage updates are included.Worth asking.

They are included

Tannaton Aug 18th, 2022 23:40

Volvo openly say software updates are included in a scheduled service, but when I bought my 2015 XC60 3 years ago with full main dealer history (6 stamps) the TCM hadn't been updated. So it's not all modules, or the dealer was lazy...

Back to the OP - unless there is an issue your are aware of - I wouldn't bother.