Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Warning , S40/V40 4 cylinder petrol owners. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59430)

John_C Oct 8th, 2008 22:51

I have made this a sticky post, thanks for the info.

Rufe Oct 9th, 2008 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottishvolvo (Post 412501)
This is exactly the reason that it is great to have some-one like Simon on this forum.

thank you, though i think Clan deserves more thanks than me for providing this information.

jonny57 Oct 9th, 2008 15:54

Thankyou,Clan
Just checked mine and the hose clip is on the way out-will replace asap:lightbulb::thumbs_up::star:

Clan Oct 9th, 2008 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by manoman48 (Post 412530)
i own a '98 T4 so guess this applies to me. Can the clips be replaced without having to drop the coolant?

Yes if you unwind the hose clip and open it up and slip it over the pipe and feed the end back into the screw and do it up ...

Baffler Oct 9th, 2008 22:00

Oh look...the "Thanks" button is back :D

jonny57 Oct 10th, 2008 11:33

It is easier to tackle this from above,unscrewing the fan and moving it to one side to get access to the offending clip-I had to cut the old one off as it was so far gone,it was about to blow.Job done,a stitch in time... as they say.If you're ever in Dundee,Clan,that's a pint I owe you!
Many thanks again:star::lightbulb::thumbs_up:

loopie Oct 13th, 2008 09:31

cheers for the heads up, checked it out and looks like I will also be sawing it off

urbanite Nov 21st, 2008 20:26

This may be relevant/irelavant to this thread, but it is also to do with corrosion under the radiator.
When you get a coolant leak / water ingress under the radiator, it causes the main 20 amp lead to the interior fusebox to corrode and cause a failure to the Hazards / Cig lighter / Heater Fan/Blower motor.
See this thread for relevant details

Chunky Dec 1st, 2008 02:06

Hi Clan,
Thanks for the information,
Had a quick look under "other halfs" newly aquired 1998 2.0 petrol V40 this weekend and guess what the bottom hose clip was rotten as a pear!
I cut the old one off by use of junior hacksaw through the barrel that the screw sits in, The new one could then be fitted by opening it up and re assembling around the Hose.
No loss of coolant, No worries!.

Kimberley Smith Feb 1st, 2009 17:04

Be Warned.

My son's V40 has just been brought home with a wrecked engine. It has the most severely warped cylinder head I have ever seen. The Green Flag man said that the bottom hose had blown off. He had re-fitted it with a new clip but to no avail. I struggled to believe it could blow off until I read this thread. I do not know what state the old clip was in but he obviously felt that a new one was needed. I recommend that you heed the warning and check the condition of your lower hose clip.